I miss the click and hold for menu

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
machine3

I miss the click and hold for menu

Post by machine3 »

Since 2.5 came out the click and hold feature is gone. We really miss that, now we either have to incorporate the dreaded right click on the mouse or hold the control key.

Please bring back click and hold!

Thank You
Tony-E

Re: I miss the click and hold for menu

Post by Tony-E »

I do not have a Mac so can not test this, but there is a hidden preference that should control this behavior on the Mac.
Type about:config in the location bar and press enter to open up a list of preferences.
Locate the preference ui.click_hold_context_menus, if its value is set to false, double-click on it to change it to true
James

Post by James »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/ui.click_hold_context_menus
true = Default on OS X platform for SeaMonkey 1.1 to 2.4.x (Gecko 1.8.1 to 7)
false = Default on OS X platform for SeaMonkey since Gecko 8 (SeaMonkey 2.5a1 and later since 2011-07-10).
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

James wrote:http://kb.mozillazine.org/ui.click_hold_context_menus
true = Default on OS X platform for SeaMonkey 1.1 to 2.4.x (Gecko 1.8.1 to 7)
false = Default on OS X platform for SeaMonkey since Gecko 8 (SeaMonkey 2.5a1 and later since 2011-07-10).

I changed the default to false.

1. No other significant Cocoa application supports click-to-hold. We were the last holdout. Firefox made the switch long ago.
2. It confuses Mac OS X users whose computing memories do not go back to OS9 and to whom click-to-hold is completely unexpected.
2a. Every now and then we would get a bug report or support thread by a Mac user complaining that the context menu showing up when they were "left-clicking". They were of course holding the left mouse key down too long.
3. Old-timers like machine3 can always flip a pref to get the old behaviour back.

Phil