bookmark toolbar lacks features

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
TJKlass

bookmark toolbar lacks features

Post by TJKlass »

One thing that really bugs me about the bookmark toolbar is that it does not have an option to select: 1) just icon OR 2) just text (or web-addr) -- currently it has icon AND text.
It's way too cumbersome with both icons and texts, I just want the text to be in the tooltips.

While I'm at it, I would like the option to wrap lines in bookmark toolbar.

If I have overlooked this feature or if there is anything else I can do to get this feature, please let me know.
therube

Re: bookmark toolbar lacks features

Post by therube »

(Ah, I'm looking & searching & looking & searching, trying to figure out what is the "bookmark toolbar". Then I realize it's the "Personal Toolbar"!)

I only see text, but then I have only bookmarklets there, so no "web sites".

Chevron is there, but no wrap. (Heaven help us if they implement any sort of overflow scrolling there!)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
wasleys

Post by wasleys »

@TJKlass - Are you aware you can delete the text by editing the properties of the link thereby leaving just the icon? On my Mac I get there by Control-clicking the bookmark, you may right click or whatever you do to get a contextual menu in Linux.

@therube - Whilst Preferences call it the Personal Toolbar the Bookmarks Manager calls it the Bookmarks Toolbar.
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Step 1,install Stylish:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... on/stylish

Step 2, install one of these styles:
http://userstyles.org/styles/135/bookma ... icons-only <-- shows icons only
http://userstyles.org/styles/10463/fire ... o-favicons <-- text only, I know it says Firefox, but it works in SM 2.5

I couldn't find a multiple row bookmarks toolbar that worked in SM.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
therube

Post by therube »

Whilst Preferences call it the Personal Toolbar the Bookmarks Manager calls it the Bookmarks Toolbar.

Right.
And I believe there is a bug for that nonsense (or at least mentioned in a bug).

Bug 588191 - Replace term "Personal Toolbar" by "Bookmarks Toolbar" in Help

Though I believe the name should be "Personal Toolbar", as it has always been (for Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey users).

(Not to mention that "bookmarks toolbar" is kind of a meaningless term IMO & as I proved for myself when first reading this thread, as I started looking for this toolbar in "bookmarks"; both the bookmarks dropdown & bookmarks manager, & not finding it in either location.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
wasleys

Post by wasleys »

therube wrote:
Not to mention that "bookmarks toolbar" is kind of a meaningless term IMO

IMO "Bookmarks Toolbar" seems an eminently logical name for a toolbar with bookmarks in it.
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

therube wrote:
Whilst Preferences call it the Personal Toolbar the Bookmarks Manager calls it the Bookmarks Toolbar.

Right.
And I believe there is a bug for that nonsense (or at least mentioned in a bug).

Bug 588191 - Replace term "Personal Toolbar" by "Bookmarks Toolbar" in Help

Though I believe the name should be "Personal Toolbar", as it has always been (for Mozilla Suite/SeaMonkey users).

YES, this has been confusing us since updating to SM 2.0.14. To be clear about what we are speaking about here: That's the toolbar to the right of "Home" button?
We've always known that as the "Personal Toolbar" as you stated.

Can anyone tell us how to get the icons for the links contained there to show up? We see every link has the very same [default?] icon.
Tried changing the "Display website icons in bookmarks menu and toolbar" settings in Preferences-Appearance-Content to "Only when website was loaded recently" to no avail.
Also tried right-click on "Home" to change settings for the toolbar but didn't seem to see anything there that would help.

Thanks for any help!
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

In about:config does browser.chrome.favicons set to true?
Eakamai

Post by Eakamai »

-Px- wrote:In about:config does browser.chrome.favicons set to true?

It was set to 'false' so i changed it to 'true', shut down and restarted and there they are.

Sorry, when we used the older SM (1.1.19) i made it a point to always look in there to see if I could find a logical answer.
Since updating to this version I thought I'd hose it up just looking in there. ;)

Was this set to false as a kind of security precaution with these icons? Because we noted also that the default
was "Never show icons for bookmarks". I've already forgotten how this was set in our older version. But if that's the case, why FF seems to default to always show these?

Thanks Px!!!!!!!

edit: Yet some of them are not showing up, in spite of showing up in Opera, FF and others?
Noticed even Mozillazine, espn3 and many others are not showing up. I'll change it to having them always show and see what that does.

edit2: Yep... that did it. =D>

Thanks again!
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

Eakamai wrote:
-Px- wrote:In about:config does browser.chrome.favicons set to true?

Was this set to false as a kind of security precaution with these icons?

As I recall there was said that this algo generate additional requests which may be unwanted in some cases...
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

you can force SeaMonkey to agressively look for favourite icons using below setting