Ignore Plugins ...

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
TomDibble

Ignore Plugins ...

Post by TomDibble »

Not sure if this is a new feature or just one that is there but undocumented.

I don't have Flash installed. I don't want Flash installed, as Flash is an evil and abhorent smite upon the face of the World Wide Web ... Okay, got a bit off topic there.

Every time I visit a page with a Flash plugin, I get a popup window telling me I don't have Flash. I really don't care that I don't have Flash. I can understand Mozilla/phoenix telling me this the first time I visit a particular site, but after that I think I can figure out from the big gray box with the empty "puzzle piece" in it that something's missing.

Please, can Mozilla and Phoenix stop being an irritating unpaid advertisement for MacroMedia (and, by extension, every other plugin hawker)?

Thanks!
urichter

Post by urichter »

I'm sometimes on a sun solaris machine where I cannot install any plugins (just plain user), and yes, I hate these stupid messages too. There are web pages that pop up the download dialog on every page, and with the increasing count of flash ad's its getting even worse...

I tried to play around with the mime type of flash, but did not work. Is there any other way to tweak the prefs to assign flash to some null plugin?
michel v

Post by michel v »

One weblog I read had a link to a Flash plugin that just does nothing. It would just do nothing and not bug you with "install this plugin" popups. :)
Once I find the link again, I'll reply in this thread again.
urichter

Post by urichter »

Found a nice working solution:

Remove libnullplugin.so from the plugins directory, this will remove the capability to automatically download plugins. Next time a uninstalled plugin is requested, a dialog box will inform you of not being able to automatically download the plugin, together with - tadaa - a checkbox for not showing this dialog again! :)
Ted Mielczarek

Yeah

Post by Ted Mielczarek »