Archive or File button like Thunderbird

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
elecmfgco

Archive or File button like Thunderbird

Post by elecmfgco »

My boss is pretty unhappy with the new version of Thunderbird so I've been testing out SeaMonkey for a few weeks now. So far I am impressed by it and would like to switch my company over to use it. My only hold-up is that I know my boss has gotten used to the "Archive" feature in Thunderbird. I have been replicating this in Sea Monkey using the "File" button and selecting an archive folder (or by hitting shift+A). My boss is not very computer savvy.

Is there a single click button I can add to the toolbar to archive messages? Thanks in advance.
elecmfgco

Re: Archive or File button like Thunderbird

Post by elecmfgco »

I GOT IT!! Sorry, really excited I figured out a workaround. In case anyone else is looking to do the same, here ya go:

1) Download the add-on Custom Buttons 0.0.5.5
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... m-buttons/

2) Follow the directions to create the button ( View->Add new button... ) and use the following code:
/*CODE*/
/** \ref https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/event.initKeyEvent **/
var sbcb_k = document.createEvent( "KeyboardEvent" );
sbcb_k.initKeyEvent
(
"keypress", /* type */
true, /* can-bubble */
true, /* cancelable */
null, /* UIEvent.view */
false, /* ctrl-key */
false, /* alt-key */
true, /* shift-key */
false, /* meta-key */
0, /* key-code */
"A".charCodeAt(0) /* char-code */
);
document.dispatchEvent( sbcb_k );

3) Right click in the toolbar and hit "Customize" then drag your new button in.
therube

Post by therube »

I'd never come across that extension before.
That's an interesting solution & in particular in that I saw no extension to do that same (not that I would particularly know in any case).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

What exactly does the new button do? I could not figure it out from the code you posted.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
therube

Post by therube »

It adds a button that performs a Shift+A, Archive function.

Basically its like a macro assigned to a button.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Ztruker

Post by Ztruker »

I just tried Shift+A and it moved the E-mail I was looking at under Archives/2012. If that's all the button does, what is the point of having it since Shift+A does the same thing? Just curious.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
elecmfgco

Post by elecmfgco »

An excellent question. My boss is, I'll describe it as "technologically lazy." Being a creature of habit, he would have a hard time trying to get away from being able to just click an archive button. But yes, you are correct, it is merely a shift+A shortcut.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

elecmfgco wrote:An excellent question. My boss is, I'll describe it as "technologically lazy." Being a creature of habit, he would have a hard time trying to get away from being able to just click an archive button. But yes, you are correct, it is merely a shift+A shortcut.

ITYM he is a PHB

Phil
turu

Post by turu »

Ztruker wrote:I just tried Shift+A and it moved the E-mail I was looking at under Archives/2012. If that's all the button does, what is the point of having it since Shift+A does the same thing? Just curious.

LOL. I couldn't stop laughing after reading this thread from the top and came across your post :mrgreen: hilarious !

Btw, don't forget to install Lightning, if you are going to install SM for office use. It's an essential add-on for making your SM mail to perfect PIM !