64bit?

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
ggrussell

64bit?

Post by ggrussell »

Just now moving to Win7 64bit. I love Seamonkey, but would like to see a 64bit version. I'm just now seeing a few consumer apps in 64bit and would be nice to see more.
James

Re: 64bit?

Post by James »

Will not likely happen until there is a Win64 Firefox Release on horizon.

The Win32 builds works just fine.
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

James wrote:Will not likely happen until there is a Win64 Firefox Release on horizon.

The Win32 builds works just fine.

so do the 64 bit nightlies. mozilla uses them to check the compiler, if they compile the source code to an executable, the 32 bit usually works too. mozilla is committed to providing a 64 bit version of the browser, sometime after 64 bit goes obsolete. we will then have threads about why do we not have a 256 bit browser.

there are 64 bit alternatives based on the current 32 bit code. performance gains are marginal. political gains are immeasurably high tho. really optimised 64 bit code for the current multi-core processors might give a different result if a team were actually to work on it.

p.s. - there is a lot of discussion of 64 bit here in various threads. creative use of the search function is suggested.
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
James

Post by James »

Ah yes there is not even any Win64 builds of SeaMonkey on Nightly to watch for breakages like the Win64 Firefox Nightly builds are used for.
kronckew

Post by kronckew »

sadly, 64 bit is not a priority, the developer world seems stuck on 32 bit for now. seamonkey 64 is an even lower priority i'd guess, if they think of priorities at all. meanwhile the pc hardware world goes multi-core x64 and the software world is not even struggling to keep up, but continues on at a complaisant x86 pace. ours is not to reason why, etc.

meanwhile, i survive on the x64-x86 versions of Firefox & Thunderbird nightlys (dailys), themselves a halfway house, not truly optimized x64 only code, but a compromise.
CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Retired: Everyday I make a list of those things
That I am not going to do today, Then I don't do them.
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

Patch for building 64-bit SeaMonkey landed in trunk a couple of weeks ago, unofficial 64- bit builds from patch author available here - http://htguard.island.ac/