Opera-like Download.

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Arinte

Opera-like Download.

Post by Arinte »

What is the possibility of a resumable type download manager (like the one in opera) being added to Mozilla? This will make Mozilla/Phoenix my <B>definite</B> choice.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

That would be awesome. I'm not sure how complicated that would be, but AFAIK, Netscape 4's smart download was able to do that, so, if the code for that is available, it could be ported to Mozilla. Then again, I am not a programmer, so this is just a semi-educated guess ;-)
http://mozilla.gunnars.net - The Mozilla Help Site
Arinte

Post by Arinte »

Has this not been suggested before?
Shark Daddy

Post by Shark Daddy »

Oh sure it has... but there are other things that must be done. And we need someone willing to write it.
The Chosen One has spoken (you may resume your disorder).
Sander

Post by Sander »

johann_p

Allow external apps?

Post by johann_p »

I always wonder why Mozilla developers and designers never consider the option of
providing a standard interface to external apps, which might do the job, or might do it
better. This is one perfect candidate: under linux at least, there are several fine download
managers, which do everything you can dream of, including bandwidth restrictions, timed
downloads and more.
Why not allow to user to optionally trigger such an external download manager for a
given URI?

There are several other functions - e.g. mail filters and junk mail filters -
where an optional external program could be useful -
Mozilla should just have a documented interface for how to plug in your own program.
Arinte

Re: Allow external apps?

Post by Arinte »

Johann_P wrote:I always wonder why Mozilla developers and designers never consider the option of
providing a standard interface to external apps, which might do the job, or might do it
better. This is one perfect candidate: under linux at least, there are several fine download
managers, which do everything you can dream of, including bandwidth restrictions, timed
downloads and more.
Why not allow to user to optionally trigger such an external download manager for a
given URI?

There are several other functions - e.g. mail filters and junk mail filters -
where an optional external program could be useful -
Mozilla should just have a documented interface for how to plug in your own program.

I totally agree with you. It should be easy to do, point me to the code that does the downloading (ftp/http) and I can take a hack at it (not making it interface with xpcom though). Another way to do this is to provide an interface for the XPCom stuff then to their download method add a parameter to set the start point of the download.