Leave DL window open when closing SM

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
8day

Leave DL window open when closing SM

Post by 8day »

Couldn't find appropriate feature request forum, but it seems that this is the closest to it (hope you not ban for feature requests...).

It would be good to have a feature that will check whether there's some active DLs, and when you are closing SM it'll close everything but DL window (in fact -- open it if it was hidden and hide everything else). It's pretty annoying when you DL something for a few long minutes and by a stupid mistake close SM and stop DLs (esp. those that can not be continued).

That's how IE behaves, and I must admit that it is a great feature.
Ztruker

Re: Leave DL window open when closing SM

Post by Ztruker »

Agreed, I've done this too many times to count.
Rich
Do, or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

I am not saying I don't support this, but you can get this functionality for now with the DownThemAll addon, it will remain running when you close the browser window. I actually use the Jokulsarlon Download Manager addon in a tab for small downloads and DownThemAll for anything that will take some time or might need resume.
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
therube

Post by therube »

Yesterday I Quit SeaMonkey, & just after I typed Ctrl+Q, I thought, "now did my download finish?".
Hadn't reopened that session yet, so won't know till I do.
A notification if a file was still downloading, would be nice.

I also had a downloads going in DTA, but I'll assume they had finished because (per above) that process would have continued even if the browser was closed.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

@op- Better way is to use a download manager and integrate it to SeaMonkey using Flashgot.
Also as mentioned before "Jokulsarlon Download Manager " opens your downloads in tabs and you will know that a download is running
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... d-manager/
8day

Post by 8day »

vazhavandan, you are probably right, but it is something that should be a part of SeaMonkey.

>>>and you will know that a download is running
True, but if you have lots of tabs -- this one can be invisible & you can forget to check it (this is similar to the described behaviour with DL window: sometime you just forget to check it for active DLs).

Thrid-party downloaders may be a better choice for a number of reasons (e.g., Free Download Manager can handle torrents and DL whole web-sites, also there's a portable version from PortableApps), but most of them seem to be too bulky.

In any case, it's a very important feature -- there's no doubt about this, but I guess we can live w/o it if devs have more important stuff to do. I just though that it would be nice if devs knew about this issue, that's all.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

@8day- you have a feature in SeaMonkey in win7 which shows download progress if Aero is enabled. Notice the green bar in taskbar
8day

Post by 8day »

vazhavandan, thanks for reminding! I tend to use Classic theme because my GPU is a bit old (256MB of memory) and when I watch video with Aero enabled (it takes ~100MB), hardware decoding of H.264 content may be jitterish...
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

8day wrote:vazhavandan, thanks for reminding! I tend to use Classic theme because my GPU is a bit old (256MB of memory) and when I watch video with Aero enabled (it takes ~100MB), hardware decoding of H.264 content may be jitterish...

You are welcome .I too don't like those glassy effects hence i have been using classic themes on xp ,win7. i like the NT/2000 look very much. No translucency for me