Flash Suppression

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
jlfish

Flash Suppression

Post by jlfish »

I have adopted SeaMonkey to replace the recently deceased Camino. I didn't realize what one feature made Camino stand out over all other browsers until a stupid flash ad with sound started playing on a site I was viewing.

I don't mind ads so much, but I don't like advertisers (or site designers) who insist on forcing audio that's hard to shut off into my life, especially when I get home from work at 1 a.m. and don't want to wake up the family.

Is it possible that, like Camino, SeaMonkey could be trained to stop flash animation from loading without my permission? God, I'm gonna miss that if it can't.

I just hope that the requests on this forum going back to 2007 for a close tab button on the tab -- another feature lacking -- are not an indication of the pace of development for this product.
vazhavandan

Re: Flash Suppression

Post by vazhavandan »

a close tab button on the tab

check out this addon http://forum.mozilla-russia.org/viewtopic.php?id=55506
realize what one feature made Camino stand out over all other browsers until a stupid flash ad with sound started playing on a site I was viewing.

enable plugins.click_to_play in about:config (through address bar) . Flash will not play without permission
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

jlfish wrote:Is it possible that, like Camino, SeaMonkey could be trained to stop flash animation from loading without my permission? God, I'm gonna miss that if it can't.

For some time Camino had been shipping with Flashblock built in. You can get Flashblock for SeaMonkey from:
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/installation2.html#current

Phil
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

jlfish wrote:I just hope that the requests on this forum going back to 2007 for a close tab button on the tab -- another feature lacking -- are not an indication of the pace of development for this product.

No, it is more an indication of the different interface requirements/tastes of SeaMonkey users versus Firefox users.
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
jlfish

Post by jlfish »

vazhavandan, I appreciate the thought, but since I have no idea what the Russian site says, I'll have to take a pass. Perhaps an English equivalent will arrive.

Philip Chee -- THANK YOU. That is just what the doctor ordered.

Joe1962: Guess I should not have been such a smartass in my first post. The fact that my main issue was already resolvable and that there's at least a potential option for the other speaks well to Seamonkey and its family. Giving up Camino is hard -- it's such a beautiful piece of software.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

jlfish wrote:vazhavandan, I appreciate the thought, but since I have no idea what the Russian site says, I'll have to take a pass. Perhaps an English equivalent will arrive..

Just open the russian site and choose Tools==> Translate page
SeaMonkey is one of the best browsers features wise :)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Version 1.3.20 of Flashblock does not work nearly as well in SeaMonkey as plugins.click_to_play. That works much better for me, anyway.