Seamonkey mail client auto mail check start / stop toggle

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
webmoebius

Seamonkey mail client auto mail check start / stop toggle

Post by webmoebius »

I'm not sure if this is the Seamonkey forum section to post a feature suggestion for future SM releases, but for a long time now, I had wished for a way to STOP a selected mail account in Seamonkey to stop checking e-mail at will. This is particularly useful when there are multiple e-mail accounts in the SM mail client and all accounts have been checked for mail once but after the first mail check (entering password when password is not saved), the user would like SM mail client to stop checking mail on selected mail accounts while continuing to check mail automatically at the preference-specified mail checking intervals.

I have some e-mail accounts in SM's mail client that can have a lot of mail volume or spam and depending on the time of day I may only want to check those accounts once and then don't want to check them again for hours. If a new feature could be implemented in SM mail client to toggle mail check start / stop it would be great. This could, for example, be put into a context menu (right click) on the E-MAIL ACCOUNT TITLE (just above INBOX). When the user right clicks the account name, the existing context menu would have an extra option to allow auto mail check toggle (start / stop). This option should be greyed until the user has GET MSG at least once and entered their mail password once first (if required).

At present, the only way I can stop specific accounts in my multiple e-mail account SM mail client from further checking e-mail, is to close my web browser which has multiple tabs open, tell SM browser to save all tabs, then close the SM mail client completely and quitting SM, then restarting the browser so it reloads all my saved browser tabs I was on, open SM mail client and only enter the password for the accounts I still want to auto mail check on.
therube

Re: Seamonkey mail client auto mail check start / stop toggl

Post by therube »

Server Settings:

> Check at startup
> Check every X minutes
> Automatically download

If you uncheck those, wouldn't you then be able to manually check/download at your will?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

therube wrote:Server Settings:
> Check at startup
> Check every X minutes
> Automatically download
If you uncheck those, wouldn't you then be able to manually check/download at your will?

I'm aware of those settings and have been using them for years. But if you re-read my original message, I was referring to first checking all accounts then continue to have the SM client auto check CERTAIN accounts while STOPPING some others. For example, I might have 5 e-mail accounts in SM mail client. At start up, I will GET MSG for all 5 accounts entering 5 passwords. SM will continue to auto check / fetch e-mails for those 5 accounts depending on those settings you mentioned. However, after checking all 5 accounts once, I may want to STOP the auto check for 2 or 3 accounts until such time later (minutes or hours) I wish to restart auto check again (on all 5 account or any other ones I choose to restart auto check). Presently it's impossible to accomplish this without changing preference settings or completely quitting SM and restarting it after checking mail for the first round. It would be nice to have a quick toggle switch to temporarily stop mail check without having to disturb the configured preference settings which requires more steps / mouse clicks to get into them.
therube

Post by therube »

Does clearing Authenticated Sessions (Clear Private Data) cause a re-prompt for passwords in Mail?

If so, perhaps you could come up with a bookmarklet to clear specific accounts session data?
Then the next time you check Global, you would get a prompt for those specific accounts you've cleared, which you could just dismiss?

---

Oh, I'm just guessing, of course ... mail.server.default.always_authenticate.
(... number one, I don't even know what that Pref does? ...)

What if you do your first Global check.
After that is done, toggle that Pref to 'true'.
Manually check the specific accounts you want to skip.
When prompted, purposely enter bogus un/pw; dumy:dumy.
It should fail, which is what you want.
Then reset the Pref.

On the next global check, it will have retained the login session for your wanted accounts, while ignoring your now dumy sessions?

Good thought :?:
Assuming what I assume the Pref does is what it does - of which I have no idea =D>
But can't hurt to try ;-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
webmoebius

Post by webmoebius »

therube wrote:Does clearing Authenticated Sessions (Clear Private Data) cause a re-prompt for passwords in Mail?

If so, perhaps you could come up with a bookmarklet to clear specific accounts session data?
Then the next time you check Global, you would get a prompt for those specific accounts you've cleared, which you could just dismiss?

---

Oh, I'm just guessing, of course ... mail.server.default.always_authenticate.
(... number one, I don't even know what that Pref does? ...)

What if you do your first Global check.
After that is done, toggle that Pref to 'true'.
Manually check the specific accounts you want to skip.
When prompted, purposely enter bogus un/pw; dumy:dumy.
It should fail, which is what you want.
Then reset the Pref.

On the next global check, it will have retained the login session for your wanted accounts, while ignoring your now dumy sessions?

Good thought :?:
Assuming what I assume the Pref does is what it does - of which I have no idea =D>
But can't hurt to try ;-).

No, I don't want to go into manipulating about:config each time I want to toggle auto check. The toggle should be at the top level surface of the UI and the user shouldn't have to even go into preferences or about:config to tinker with it. This is not my point for the feature suggestion, even if such a switch existed in about:config.