missing feature : stop loading in tab contextual menu

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Michael REMY

missing feature : stop loading in tab contextual menu

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

in the main interface, your have button to STOP a page from loading

But, when you have many pages (so many tabs), you can't stop the loading of a page using the contextual menu on the tab. Then you are obliged to go into the concerned tab (so leave the tab where you are) , and hit the main button STOP (or reload) to do that.

That miss feature is strange because the Reload feature is well there !

Maybe we can add button/feature in contextual menu (like we can custom the contextual menu?)...

have a good day
patrickjdempsey

Re: missing feature : stop loading in tab contextual menu

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Have you tried the Esc button?
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Michael REMY wrote:hi,

in the main interface, your have button to STOP a page from loading

But, when you have many pages (so many tabs), you can't stop the loading of a page using the contextual menu on the tab. Then you are obliged to go into the concerned tab (so leave the tab where you are) , and hit the main button STOP (or reload) to do that.

That miss feature is strange because the Reload feature is well there !

Maybe we can add button/feature in contextual menu (like we can custom the contextual menu?)...

have a good day

You want a "Stop All Tabs" similar to "Reload All Tabs" ?
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

no, i wnat to stop the loading of a page without be in the current page. Like you can do to reload one without be in the concerned one.
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Michael REMY wrote:no, i wnat to stop the loading of a page without be in the current page. Like you can do to reload one without be in the concerned one.

You want to "stop" a tab from loading using stop from context menu?
therube

Post by therube »

If it is on startup that you don't want unfocused tabs to load (fully), that can be done.
Edit | Preferences | Browser -> When restoring sessions and windows => Only restore tabs when I need them
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

vazhavandan wrote:
Michael REMY wrote:no, i wnat to stop the loading of a page without be in the current page. Like you can do to reload one without be in the concerned one.

yes that !
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

Michael REMY wrote:
vazhavandan wrote:

yes that !

Try raising a feature request in bugzilla
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/
patrickjdempsey

I doubt they'll listen to requests for more context menu items (especially when the Esc button and toolbar button works). They have been in a process of gutting menus and context menus over the last few years.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

patrickjdempsey wrote:I doubt they'll listen to requests for more context menu items (especially when the Esc button and toolbar button works). They have been in a process of gutting menus and context menus over the last few years.

but the the Esc button and toolbar button works ONLY for the current tab where you're in.
i wish to stop loading a tab where i am not.
Here the situation :
i have a bunch of bookmark in my preference menu. I click on an choose to open all the tab (15 tab at once).
Some time, there is a slow or bug webpage in this, and i still see the load icon animation rounds and rounds so,i know the page is OFF ans i want to not go on to load it without close it and without go into it.
That why i need the STOP option in the TAB'S CONTEXT menu.

They add the feature to reload a TAB where you're not in, even a close feature, so , why not a stop feature ! This contextual menu have only 7 options, it is not a hard work !
patrickjdempsey

Michael REMY wrote:Here the situation :
i have a bunch of bookmark in my preference menu. I click on an choose to open all the tab (15 tab at once).

Actually, for this specific use-case several people tried to convince the Firefox devs to allow for the "load on demand" feature to apply to opening bookmarks. (It would have been "core" so it would have applied in SM as well). For reasons that never seemed reasonable, they wouldn't go for it. Also, tab "unloading" has frequently been requested and shot down.

And I suspect what you really want is tab unloading. Pressing "stop" will not keep active tabs from continuing to load more content in the background. For the last 5 or 6 years or so, many sites, especially news and social networking sites, use scripts to continuously load "fresh" content into the page. This activity causes the throbber to spin hours, even days after a page has technically "stopped" loading.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

And I suspect what you really want is tab unloading. Pressing "stop" will not keep active tabs from continuing to load more content in the background.

nop, i want to keep active the tab i stopped.
i stopped it because , it often "in infini load or reload" whereas all the content is displayed. it is due to bad javascript script ou reload image/advert in real time without end. that's why i also want to stop it without see them first.
therube

Post by therube »

There was a Suspend Background Tabs extension, but it appears that Wladimir pulled it.

(I used it briefly a while back, over a year it looks like, & ran into issues with it.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

There was also I believe a "Stop Every" that went along with "Reload Every" extension back in the day.
Michael REMY

Post by Michael REMY »

Reload Every alwready exists in the tab contextual menu !