Flash ala Chrome Portable

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Philip Chee

Re: Flash ala Chrome Portable

Post by Philip Chee »

therube wrote:Shumway installs in SeaMonkey by modifying (adding a SeaMonkey section to) install.rdf.

Though it looks like it deals with .swf rather then "Flash" video (like at Youtube)?
SWF = Shockwave Flash. At one point in time Shockwave was Macromedias most popular software product. In a fit of temporary insanity, their Marketing Department decided to rebrand all their other products by prefixing them with Shockwave.

Phil
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

And SWF isn't really a format that tells you anything, it's just a general-purpose Flash-content container. Inside it might be video, or animated graphics, or an interface, or all three mixed together. There's also FLV and F4V which are dedicated video container formats... FLV being the same as SWF, F4V being based on Apple's MP4.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

therube wrote:All in all, can't say I can see what the big deal is in copying a NPSWF32*.dll file into a /plugins/ directory once a month or so.

(And myself, I'd much rather do that, manually, then have it update on its own.)

It's not for me, I have been doing it manually for a long time now, it is for a series of nonprofits where tech skills do not extend to this and they are rapidly deleting Fx and replacing it with Chrome (or Chrome Portable with certain privacy extensions whenever I can get them to make the move).
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

In a portable version, major components need to be easily if not transparently installed. Just saying.
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

ndebord wrote:In a portable version, major components need to be easily if not transparently installed. Just saying.

You do realize this is a issue with the portable version, done by someone else, rather then a Seamonkey issue.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

LoudNoise wrote:
ndebord wrote:In a portable version, major components need to be easily if not transparently installed. Just saying.

You do realize this is a issue with the portable version, done by someone else, rather then a Seamonkey issue.

LoudNoise,

Pardon the lack of reply, didn't see it.

It is a Gecko design issue. Either you have a desktop install, in which case you are relying upon an Adobe install or you use the same browser with a manually installed flash dll. Either way you are dependent upon an outside agent. If, for argument's sake, you use Google Chrome Portable, it automatically updates Flash. Purely a matter of design philosophy.

For me Chrome's minimalism is such a turn off that I never use it, but Chrome and Chrome Portable are what are used at the various nonprofits I work with. They don't care to tweak outside of whatever the local IT person insists upon and they leave it up that person(s) to do the work.
mgagnonlv

Post by mgagnonlv »

In my case, I don't see it as a problem, as Flash is natively installed on my computers and on those of people whose computers I use occasionally. In such cases, Firefox or Seamonkey will automatically use the Flash version installed on the computer.

Problem would arise if you use a computer which doesn't have Flash, or which uses an antiquated version.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

mgagnonlv wrote:In my case, I don't see it as a problem, as Flash is natively installed on my computers and on those of people whose computers I use occasionally. In such cases, Firefox or Seamonkey will automatically use the Flash version installed on the computer.

Problem would arise if you use a computer which doesn't have Flash, or which uses an antiquated version.

Or they use just IE and Chrome, different versions entirely. Have to load up the Gecko flash on their computers and if you don't have administrative rights. <g>