Flash ala Chrome Portable

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
ndebord

Flash ala Chrome Portable

Post by ndebord »

I have been using SeaMonkey, aka Mozilla Suite, aka Netscape Communicator for some time. Thanks to portable apps, I have switched over my various browsers to portable apps, so I can take them with me on a USB stick to all my job sites. One complaint is Flash. When I use Chrome Portable, it automatically updates flash, but with Gecko, you have to copy and paste the NPSWF32.dll into the plugins sub-folder manually. Any chance of SeaMonkey emulating this behavior?

Tks.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
DanRaisch

Re: Flash ala Chrome Portable

Post by DanRaisch »

Not much of a chance. Chrome has a version of Flash built in so the portable version benefits from that feature. SeaMonkey and Firefox make use of the Flash plug-in provided by Adobe, making it necessary to install that plug-in to have access to Flash.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

On the plus-side you should still be able to view video on sites that support HTML5 as long as they are distributing WebM or Ogg/Theora. I don't know much about using Portable, but it seems like you should be able to create a cookie that spoofs the YouTube HTML5 trial cookie.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

patrickjdempsey wrote:On the plus-side you should still be able to view video on sites that support HTML5 as long as they are distributing WebM or Ogg/Theora. I don't know much about using Portable, but it seems like you should be able to create a cookie that spoofs the YouTube HTML5 trial cookie.

Thanks, I would have more enthusiasm for HTML5 if it was in wider use. With all the changes that Mozilla has pushed through for Firefox and later, some for SeaMonkey, I would have thought that a built-in Flash was a no-brainer.

I no longer use any browser that is not portable.

Tks.
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
James

Post by James »

ndebord

Post by ndebord »

James wrote:Mozilla has been working on Shumway.
http://mozilla.github.io/shumway/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Shumway

Thanks James, however the extension can not be installed with Seamonkey as it is not compatible, or so it says.

<g.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

James wrote:Mozilla has been working on Shumway.
http://mozilla.github.io/shumway/
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Shumway

James,

Pretty looking extension, a bit geekie at the moment, but I will install it in Fx and see how it goes. The thing is I don't take Fx with me on my USB stick. I take SM instead for all the old reasons: composer, Lightning, email... It is a pretty complete package once again, particularly as LightBird makes Lightning work better. And, of course, Early Blue.

Tks.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

a bit geekie at the moment

What the hell does this mean?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

LoudNoise wrote:
a bit geekie at the moment

What the hell does this mean?

What the hell do you think it means? :)
therube

Post by therube »

Shumway installs in SeaMonkey by modifying (adding a SeaMonkey section to) install.rdf.

Though it looks like it deals with .swf rather then "Flash" video (like at Youtube)?
Last edited by therube on March 7th, 2014, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

All in all, can't say I can see what the big deal is in copying a NPSWF32*.dll file into a /plugins/ directory once a month or so.

(And myself, I'd much rather do that, manually, then have it update on its own.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

Shumway doesn't appear to be a full replacement for Flash yet (if ever)... I think it's part of a project to try to decode Flash, and a fully-featured Flash decoder may be years in the making. And judging by the severe font issues that PDF.js suffers from (which Mozilla is apparently content to ignore), I think it will be a very long time before there will be a really truly functional Flash replacement.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

therube wrote:Shumway installs in SeaMonkey by modifying (adding a SeaMonkey section to) install.rdf.

Though it looks like it deals with .swf rather then "Flash" video (like at Youtube)?

It said it wouldn't install in my portable SM. Did you manually modify install.rdf?

TKs.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

patrickjdempsey wrote:Shumway doesn't appear to be a full replacement for Flash yet (if ever)... I think it's part of a project to try to decode Flash, and a fully-featured Flash decoder may be years in the making. And judging by the severe font issues that PDF.js suffers from (which Mozilla is apparently content to ignore), I think it will be a very long time before there will be a really truly functional Flash replacement.

Patrick,

Thanks, that was my feeling too. I don't suppose there is any sentiment in Mozilla to do the builtin flash like Chrome. (just saying)
patrickjdempsey

ndebord wrote:I don't suppose there is any sentiment in Mozilla to do the builtin flash like Chrome. (just saying)

Mozilla distributes Firefox under the Mozilla Public License which requires that all of the components of Firefox are Free and Open and their source code is freely available. This is also at least partially why Firefox doesn't ship with a built-in h.264 video decoder. Chrome isn't really "open source" and Google obviously doesn't have any qualms with shipping proprietary software bundled into it.