Add ability for new tabs to load a custom page on creation

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
therube

Add ability for new tabs to load a custom page on creation

Post by therube »

(since it was mentioned "in error" ;-) elsewhere, i'll just mention it here...)

Bug 200956 - Add ability for new tabs to load a custom page on creation. Implement "browser.newtab.url"

12:49 Ratty re Implement "browser.newtab.url"
12:49 Ratty patrick dempsey says [[It's pretty easy to implement and I'll gladly share my solution, although it would have to be modified to be ported back into SeaMonkey.]]

http://logs.glob.uno/?c=mozilla%23seamo ... 7+May+2014

tiles

You'd have to figure that any option there would default to what we've got now. Plus I don't think the idea is "tiles" per say.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
patrickjdempsey

Re: Add ability for new tabs to load a custom page on creati

Post by patrickjdempsey »

So the issue is that there are two very different features which are encompassed by one setting. The ability to customize newtab.url is a very different thing than creating an about:newtab page with tiles and changing that to the default newtab. I'm personally very much in favor of the former and very much against the latter. We will see where things end up in SeaMonkey but I can at least provide the details of the situation as it currently stands:

What SeaMonkey does now:

SeaMonkey has already had the ability to set the newtab page for quite some time. Currently this is controlled by the following preference: browser.tabs.loadOnNewTab:

-1 : Browser startup page -> startup.homepage_override_url (same as first install)
0 : Blank page -> about:blank
1 : Your homepage -> browser.startup.homepage (same as Home button)
2 : Last visited page

As you can see, SeaMonkey already has two customizable newtab settings, but these are redundant to existing buttons. It also has the rather novel: duplicate last visited page option. This is already well beyond what Firefox does.

What SeaFox (version 0.3) browser.newtab.url does:

Essentially all I've done with SeaFox is to add browser.newtab.url, and make it so that browser.tabs.loadOnNewTab:0 looks at browser.newtab.url, which defaults to about:blank:

-1 : Browser startup page -> startup.homepage_override_url(same as first install)
0 : Your new tab page -> browser.newtab.url (default = about:blank)

In my code I've also made a fail-safe so if browser.newtab.url doesn't exist it always defaults to about:blank. The nice thing about my implementation is that for most users, browser.newtab.url will be automatically supported without them changing any other settings. Whether or not this is the way it will appear in the final version is up to SeaMonkey folks, but I personally felt this was the best way to go.
Last edited by patrickjdempsey on May 28th, 2014, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
patrickjdempsey

Re: Add ability for new tabs to load a custom page on creati

Post by patrickjdempsey »

The method I've recommended in the bug is to expand the selection of settings under browser.tabs.loadOnNewTab. This makes it slightly more difficult to setup but a little more difficult for driveby search Hijackers.

-1 : Browser startup page -> startup.homepage_override_url (same as first install)
0 : Blank page -> about:blank
3 : Your new tab page -> browser.newtab.url (default = about:blank)

Incidentally, browser.tabs.loadOnNewTab:-1 is currently broken, so if any of your are testing these options it will resolve to about:blank.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/