missing feature to search directly

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Michael REMY

missing feature to search directly

Post by Michael REMY »

hi,

in a webpage, you can select anything you want, and get "search google for XXX" in you contextual mouse menu.

i was surprise this option is not in the contextual menu when you select a word in the iurl address bar (where there is Past & go item"

how i hot to need this feature :
i diplayed a picture, and in the url address , there was the name of the person, so i select it there and use the contextual menu.......but no search feature from there.

have a good day
smsmith

Re: missing feature to search directly

Post by smsmith »

Highlight the word, then drag it to the search bar. The search initiates without you having to hit the enter key. Or, right click after highlighting and choose COPY, then right click in the searchbar and choose Paste and Search.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Joe1962

Post by Joe1962 »

I don't use a search bar, so I tried dragging a highlighted word to the url bar and it just appended it to the end. Then, just for kicks, I tried dropping the word onto the search button and... it worked!!!
SM (usually latest stable) on Linux Mint 19 x86_64.
therube

Post by therube »

Once Faster and snappier searches lands (SeaMonkey 2.30?), I'd suspect you could just drag the word into the browser window.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

smsmith wrote:Highlight the word, then drag it to the search bar. The search initiates without you having to hit the enter key. Or, right click after highlighting and choose COPY, then right click in the searchbar and choose Paste and Search.

Isn't that odd. You can drag it to the search bar and it will automatically do the search, but if you copy and paste it, then it will not do anything until you click on the search icon. <shrug>
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

That's what "Paste and Search" is for.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

smsmith wrote:Highlight the word, then drag it to the search bar. The search initiates without you having to hit the enter key. Or, right click after highlighting and choose COPY, then right click in the searchbar and choose Paste and Search.

An alternative without using the mouse:
1. Highlight the word (ctrl+L to focus the URL bar, then arrow keys, shift + arrows keys or shift + ctrl + arrow keys to highlight characters/words).
2. ctrl + C
3. shift + ctrl + S
4. ctrl + V
5. Enter
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

smsmith wrote:That's what "Paste and Search" is for.

Right, got it now. Sheesh.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome