Open pdf rather than saving them

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
bobwhiteesq

Open pdf rather than saving them

Post by bobwhiteesq »

I get pdf attachments in e-mails and want to open them, not dump them to the download manager and being forced to save them. This used to be able to be done - now I can't do it. I have preferences set to use my Adobe Acrobat 9.5 Pro to open the files but it still uses the download manager and saves the file. Ideas?
BruceAWittmeier

Re: Open pdf rather than saving them

Post by BruceAWittmeier »

From other postings of this problem I recall the solution was the setting.

You indicate you have checked and verified the setting to be correct.

This is what I have and it attempts to open the file in the browser - however, I get a message "Firefox is already running. Fx needs to be closed ..." (Just discovered in checking the actions from your post). Seems the PDF call is trying to start Fx when called. I do not see anything in my download directory nor a download indication.

I am using Adobe Flash Player 13 - no entry for Adobe Reader. You may need to update. Not sure of the relationship of Adobe Flash and Adobe Reader.

Setting in Tools/Options/Applications/Portable Document Format (PDF) - Set to: "Preview in Nightly"

Here are a couple small pdf files you can use by emailing to yourself for trouble shooting.

http://www.relacweb.org/conferencia/ima ... _cerca.pdf

or this:

http://www.analysis.im/uploads/seminar/pdf-sample.pdf
I often take a long windy road to my destination. Upon arrival, I wonder how I missed the shortcut.
therube

Post by therube »

Do you have Adobe Reader installed?
If you switch from Pro to Reader (in Helper Applications), does it then work?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

For PDFs, I have the application setting as "Always Ask", and that is what it does.
bobwhiteesq

Post by bobwhiteesq »

Changing the setting to "always ask" seems to have solved the problem - at least I can choose to save or open rather than being forced to save, Thanks for the ideas