What Happened to Automatic Close of Download Window?

Discussion of features in Seamonkey
Equisetum

What Happened to Automatic Close of Download Window?

Post by Equisetum »

The option to have the Download Manager window close on completion of the download seems to have been dropped, and I'm getting really aggravated at having to close the window every time I download a page or file.

Surely I can't be the only one who misses this convenience. Please bring it back in the next build! The ever-multiplying clicks it takes to do things reminds me of (ugh) Vista and (even worse) Win8.
ElTxolo

Re: What Happened to Automatic Close of Download Window?

Post by ElTxolo »

The option to have the Download Manager window close on completion of the download seems to have been dropped, and I'm getting really aggravated at having to close the window every time I download a page or file.

:-k

• Type about:config in the Address Bar and press Enter to display the list of preferences.
  • Ignore the warning message.
  • In the Search Bar, type:
    browser.download.manager.closeWhenDone
  • Right click on that value (browser.download.manager.closeWhenDone) and choose Toogle.
  • Now the right value should be TRUE (browser.download.manager.closeWhenDone;true)
  • Restart SeaMonkey.
  • Done!

Cheers! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Equisetum

Post by Equisetum »

ElTxolo wrote:
The option to have the Download Manager window close on completion of the download seems to have been dropped...

[*]Type about:config in the Address Bar and press Enter to display the list of preferences.
[*]Ignore the warning message.
[*]In the Search Bar, type:(etc)

Thank you so much, (if it works, haven't closed browser yet so I could thank you)! BTW, there is a checkmark to close dl mgr window when dl complete somewhere, and I checked & unchecked it dozens of times with no result, window never closed. Seems to me it's (a) a bug and (b) bad design to have this in so obscure a place. Will check bug reports in case.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Equisetum wrote:BTW, there is a checkmark to close dl mgr window when dl complete somewhere, and I checked & unchecked it dozens of times with no result, window never closed. Seems to me it's (a) a bug and (b) bad design to have this in so obscure a place. Will check bug reports in case.

I'm using "Progress dialog" window instead of "Download manager":

During any download you can mark "Close this window when the download is complete" and it will be remembered for any other download:

I've tested what ElTxolo proposed but it doesn't work ("Download Manager" windows isn't closed after download is complete). I don't know if it worked before because I prefer "Progress dialog" window. If I need DM then I just hit Ctrl+J keys...
--
Equisetum

Post by Equisetum »

Hmmm, maybe I was using "Progress Dialogue" before. I just switched, will try. I feel really stupid for not realizing that the "close window" checkbox is about the progress window, not dl mgr. Thanks so much for your help!

A few minutes later -- switched back to dl mgr, didn't close, checked config file and "close when done" said true. Seems more & more like a bug. Dunno why I'm so attached to DL mgr, don't need to see the last million downloads really. I'll do it your way for a while at least!

Rhonda of the Mountain
Martii

Post by Martii »

ElTxolo wrote:
    :-k

• Type about:config in the Address Bar and press Enter to display the list of preferences.
  • Ignore the warning message.
  • In the Search Bar, type:
    browser.download.manager.closeWhenDone
  • Right click on that value (browser.download.manager.closeWhenDone) and choose Toogle.
  • Now the right value should be TRUE (browser.download.manager.closeWhenDone;true)
  • Restart SeaMonkey.
  • Done!

Nice! Thanks for that tip and implementing now. On a related side-note a shortcut to assist newer SM's have the `filter` Query String Parameter e.g. `about:config?filter=browser.download.manager.closeWhenDone` can achieve some speedier results.
Martii

Post by Martii »

Martii wrote:... implementing now.

Hmmm that preference change doesn't appear to work with image downloads.