benw

Post Posted November 13th, 2002, 4:02 pm

is there a way to make a mail filter to do something like:

foreach(mail in folder) {
if(mail.date < (todays_date - 31) {
move(mail,folder);
}
}

(i hope that was kinda clear - if an email is older than today's date - 31 days [that is, a month], move it to some folder)

so basically, what i want is an archiver. ultimately, it'd be perfect to schedule that in some way, but just running it manually would suffice in the interim.

anyone got any ideas?

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post Posted November 14th, 2002, 12:04 am

Go to Tools > Message Filters, create a new filter and select 'Age In Days' as the criteria. Choose 'is greater than' from the central drop-down and type '31' into the text field. Then set it to move the mail. You'll have to run the filter manually.

I believe the age is determined by the date the message was sent, so if you don't check your mail for a month and a half then run this filter, you could lose some unread messages (but then I suppose you could add 'and the Status isn't New' to the condition).

Also note that this will only work on POP accounts.
Alex

Gunnar

Post Posted November 14th, 2002, 8:25 am

Alex,

why do we have to run the filter manually? Wouldn't it make more sense if this filter worked automatically, as well?

Gunnar
http://mozilla.gunnars.net - The Mozilla Help Site

Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post Posted November 14th, 2002, 7:49 pm

Gunnar wrote:why do we have to run the filter manually? Wouldn't it make more sense if this filter worked automatically, as well?

Well, it will run automatically on incoming mail but if you want a filter to act as a mail archiver, you're going to have to run it manually at a later time. Unfortunately, there's no way to schedule filters to run automatically.
Alex

Return to SeaMonkey Features