date of article

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
shakushinnen

date of article

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
It's often hard to tell how current is the information one reads on the internet.
Failing the obvious tip offs in the article, is there a way of telling this?
Thanks,
..... john
barbaz

Re: date of article

Post by barbaz »

Not sure of a good way to do it, but when downloading a resource with wget, it fetches last modified timestamp of the resource from the server... so I guess you could download just the main page of the article with wget and look at the last modified timestamp?
(wget comes with Unix based OSes, but since you're on Windows, you'll need to download a wget binary from the Internet - latest version is 1.16.something - or install the Cygwin package.)

better answer below
Last edited by barbaz on August 1st, 2015, 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

barbaz, does SeaMonkey have right click --> View page info?
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

LoudNoise wrote:barbaz, does SeaMonkey have right click --> View page info?

Yes it does (it's also listed under View menu)... Oh, thanks, didn't know that the timestamp is listed right there in the General tab. :mrgreen:
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

For the benefit of shakushinnen. Right click on the page and select "View Page Info" Toward the bottom of the dialogue box you should see "Last Modified" and a date. That should usually give you a good idea when it was last updated,
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

LoudNoise wrote:For the benefit of shakushinnen. Right click on the page and select "View Page Info" Toward the bottom of the dialogue box you should see "Last Modified" and a date. That should usually give you a good idea when it was last updated,

This information (date and time) is not ALWAYS about when site was created but when it was "created" (downloaded and open) in your browser.

Example:
This forum gives me date and time when I opened this thread (2 August 2015 09:49:19).

This site:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/SeaMonkey/Stat ... 2015-08-04
... gives me "2 August 2015 04:51:59" but I opened it after this thread.

I mean it will not always work.
--
therube

Post by therube »

> I mean it will not always work.

My thought too.
It might not be page "content" that has changed, but a rotating ad or image... that causes a change in the Modified "date".
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Good point. It would only work on a static page.
Post wrangler
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
Yes, I've seen, and checked out this right click item, but came away with the impression, from a few pages, that I wasn't really getting a feel for how current the information is.
...... john