Your Seamonkey experience

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
eager to learn

Your Seamonkey experience

Post by eager to learn »

Hi,

I've been experiencing miserable problems with Thunderbird.

I'm contemplating changing to Seamonkey for my email program.

Have you Seamonky users enjoyed good experience with that as your e-mail program?

Thank you.
patrickjdempsey

Re: Your Seamonkey experience

Post by patrickjdempsey »

I don't use the mail portion of SM, but much of the internal code is shared between SM and TB so you probably wouldn't gain much. That said, creating a new profile and migrating your data might help solve some of your problems.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I use all three components of SeaMonkey (browser, composer, and email) and could not be more pleased.

I've never tried FireFox or Thunderbird...haven't had any reason to.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

eager to learn wrote:Hi,

I've been experiencing miserable problems with Thunderbird.

I'm contemplating changing to Seamonkey for my email program.

Have you Seamonky users enjoyed good experience with that as your e-mail program?

Thank you.

I use both email clients. No problem with either. But if i had to choose, I would choose T-Bird because of the chat feature. I use Facebook chat via Thunderbird, works good. What problem are you having with Thunderbird?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

re; "His problems with Thunderbird?"
Look here & see...
> viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2952053
No responses to them here, please.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

SeaMonkey has Chatzilla. It can be updated to a newer version. Does that not work well?
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

I have used Firefox/Thunderbird for quite a while. Seamonkey is the best!
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

eager to learn wrote:I've been experiencing miserable problems with Thunderbird.

Save Draft Error message - Unable to save your message as draft.
    Unable to open the file C:\DOCUME~1\User Name\LOCALS~1\Temp\nsemail-1.eml.

See: viewtopic.php?p=13235801#p13235801
eager to learn wrote:I'm contemplating changing to Seamonkey for my email program.

I've used SeaMonkey (>> Netscape >> Mozilla Suite >>> SeaMonkey) always and never had any problems. :)
eager to learn wrote:Thank you.

You're welcome! :wink:

Cheers! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

One 'minor' irritation is being told 'your browser is not supported' because the webmaster at the other end only recognizes FF/TB and has never heard of and/or could care less about SM.

I looked at this thread because I'm considering if I should open a thread to ask which TB version is most like SM when it comes to following instructions for setting up an email account. I will have 2 ISPs for several months while transitioning from one to the other and am trying to understand the advantages/disadvantages of 2 email accounts under SM.
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
amrad

Post by amrad »

baumgrenze wrote:One 'minor' irritation is being told 'your browser is not supported' because the webmaster at the other end only recognizes FF/TB and has never heard of and/or could care less about SM.

No, it's that they 'could not care less'.

Regards,

Dave.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

baumgrenze wrote:One 'minor' irritation is being told 'your browser is not supported' because the webmaster at the other end only recognizes FF/TB and has never heard of and/or could care less about SM.

I looked at this thread because I'm considering if I should open a thread to ask which TB version is most like SM when it comes to following instructions for setting up an email account. I will have 2 ISPs for several months while transitioning from one to the other and am trying to understand the advantages/disadvantages of 2 email accounts under SM.

baumgrenze,

Try out useragentswitcher:

http://chrispederick.com/work/user-agent-switcher/

Should load, but if not, then use the extension converter.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

I looked at the link and I could not understand what the extension does. Does it convince the offended website that the user is running the latest version of FF when in fact it is not on the machine or does it change the browser engine?

Curiously, my experience has been that if I persist, the page opens and functions normally, certainly in those cases where FF is recognized. Why not, as a browser SM is basically FF - 1.

baumgrenze
Thanks,

Baumgrenze
amrad

Post by amrad »

No, it doesn't change the browser engine, it changes the user agent string (e.g Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0 SeaMonkey/2.33.1) to report that you are using a different browser than the one actually installed.

Regards,

Dave.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

That *used* to be a common problem but since SeaMonkey devs added Firefox to the user agent string a few years ago, I havn't seen it. Since there is an option for changing that, some users (for reasons beyond my comprehension) have disabled the Firefox part of the UA, so they may see this problem. Also, there are websites out there that aren't really compatible with Firefox... both Microsoft and Apple official sites are usual suspects.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
baumgrenze

Post by baumgrenze »

Thanks for the clarifications.
Thanks,

Baumgrenze