Graph lines not appearing on Weather Underground

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Psychonaut

Graph lines not appearing on Weather Underground

Post by Psychonaut »

Perhaps someone can help me track down the cause of a strange problem. I run SeaMonkey on various computers, and usually check the weather on Weather Underground. Until recently this has worked fine. The forecast looks like this:

However, as of a few weeks ago, one of my computers no longer shows the red temperature line in the forecast graph:

All computers are running the same version and build of SeaMonkey:

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:49.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/49.0 SeaMonkey/2.46
Build identifier: 20161222000000

The computer that doesn't display the red line is running openSUSE Tumbleweed, while all the other computers are running openSUSE Leap 42.2. The disappearing line problem occurs even when viewing the page in a fresh profile in safe mode, so it's got nothing to do with any add-ons or site-specific settings saved via cookies.

Any idea what the problem might be?
frg

Re: Graph lines not appearing on Weather Underground

Post by frg »

I assume Customize->Temperature is checked?
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Yes, it's checked (by default, in fact, as the second screenshot, which is from a fresh profile, demonstrates).
therube

Post by therube »

On the one computer, do other browsers show the red lines?

On my end it work with (by allowing):

Code: Select all

+wxug.com
+cloudflare.com
+ajax.googleapis.com
+wunderground.com
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

therube wrote:On the one computer, do other browsers show the red lines?
Yes, the red line displays fine in Firefox, Chromium, and Konqueror.
On my end it work with (by allowing):
As far as I know, nothing in my SeaMonkey browser is "disallowed". The problem occurs even when running in safe mode with a new profile, so the browser shouldn't be blocking any sites by default.
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

I've noticed the problem is happening with other websites as well. Google Maps, for example, does not highlight the route when asked to give driving directions. You can see this in the screenshot below, where the same route is shown in Firefox (left) and SeaMonkey (right):

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Psychonaut wrote:
therube wrote:On the one computer, do other browsers show the red lines?
Yes, the red line displays fine in Firefox, Chromium, and Konqueror.
It also displays fine on my SeaMonkey in Linux.

As you've already tried a new profile then I've no idea what to suggest. However, whatever it is, it is a Canvas element related problem, as both WU and Google Maps are using that in those examples above.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I suspect it is a problem with how my browser is rendering WebGL. When I visit some WebGL tester sites (but not all of them), I get a blank canvas.

I tried using the official nightly build, as well as the unofficial "contributed" 64-bit build of 2.46, and the canvases display fine for me with these versions. So I'm guessing that there is something wrong with my OS's packaging of SeaMonkey. I have reported it as an openSUSE Tumbleweed bug: Bug 1045848
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

In case anyone else here was experiencing this problem, I just wanted to report that the cause seems to have lain in the GCC optimization flags used to build SeaMonkey. While these flags worked fine when compiling SeaMonkey with GCC 6, using the same flags to compile SeaMonkey (and Thunderbird) with GCC 7 resulted in WebGL display problems. Disabling the optimization flags when building with GCC 7 worked around the problem (though they may have resulted in somewhat less efficient code). Further details can be found in openSUSE bugs 1045848 and 1042090.

I'm not sure whether this was a problem with GCC or with SeaMonkey; regardless, the problem seems to have been fixed as of a few months ago. At least for me, the current openSUSE RPMs (both the binary ones from the official repositories and the ones I build myself from source) work fine.
therube

Post by therube »

(Pale Moon, with its recent v28 release, also ran into optimization flag related issues [& other issues too] . They have since de-optimized.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

I am compiling 2.49.x with gcc 5 only. Now 5.31. Anything higher produced visible redrawing artifacts. Tobin said Palemoon was fine with 7 but it looks that this might not be the case after all. Bill (wg9s) does clang builds under Linux. They seem to be fine even with bleeding edge compiler.