SM 2.49.3 Password Manager

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Dritz

SM 2.49.3 Password Manager

Post by Dritz »

Hi,
For some reason I can't manage my passwords in SM 2.49.3, not that the version is the problem or maybe it is. Anyway, when I try to manage the passwords, everything freezes, "not responding" and then I get a "script stop" message. It says the following:

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.

Script: chrome://communicator/content/dataman/dataman.js:754

I don't understand why Chrome is involved?? I do have the Chrome browser and it does have its own password manager. Could it be conflicting with SM? I don't know how to fix my SM so that I once again can manage my passwords. Ideas? ](*,)
Frank Lion

Re: SM 2.49.3 Password Manager

Post by Frank Lion »

Dritz wrote:I don't understand why Chrome is involved?? I do have the Chrome browser and it does have its o
It's not. chrome is just an internal path to UI, same as content is the path to webpages. Both are internal technical things and have nothing to do with some Google browser, called Chrome or chrome fenders on cars.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
James

Post by James »

Dritz wrote:Script: chrome://communicator/content/dataman/dataman.js:754[/i][/b]

I don't understand why Chrome is involved?? I do have the Chrome browser and it does have its own password manager. Could it be conflicting with SM? I don't know how to fix my SM so that I once again can manage my passwords. Ideas? ](*,)
How does this have anything to do with the Google Chrome web browser as Chrome is just a word and what it refers to depends on the situation.

SeaMonkey is a continuation of the Mozilla Application Suite which started way back in 1998. Firefox started as Phoenix 0.1 in Sept 2002 (not as Firefox 1.0 in Nov 2004 as some may think).

Meanwhile the first Google Chrome was later on in Sept 2008.

https://developer.mozilla.org/docs/Glossary/Chrome
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Chrome_URLs
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dev_:_Firefox_Chrome_URLs
http://kb.mozillazine.org/userChrome.css

So basically nothing to do with Google Chrome.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Dritz wrote:... For some reason I can't manage my passwords in SM 2.49.3, not that the version is the problem or maybe it is.
  • :-k You can use the old version of password manager.
  • Type in the address bar:
    chrome://passwordmgr/content/passwordManager.xul
    and press Enter ...
Dritz wrote:... Anyway, when I try to manage the passwords, everything freezes, "not responding" and then I get a "script stop" message. It says the following:

Code: Select all

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.
Script: chrome://communicator/content/dataman/dataman.js:754
  • It's a Known issue:
    ... If you experience a hang and/or get a message box that a script is busy when opening the Data Manager try deleting the webappsstore.* files from your profile folder when SeaMonkey is not running. These contain data stored by web sites and will be recreated during the next start. If you are unsure if the information is needed please back them up before deleting them. The problem is tracked in #bug 1305624 but so far no coding error has been found.

Cheers!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

To put things a bit more simply, chrome:// is a browser protocol, and it is also part of the interface. The chrome is the interface.
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Frank Lion,
Thank you so much for your explanation! Debbie
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

James,
A very detailed explanation with the history behind it. Thank you! Debbie
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

ELTXolo,
Thanks so much for the password manager URL! I was trying to find the answer to this but maybe you would know. On some websites I don't get the popup asking me if I want to save the password or not. I don't remember ever saying "never". How do I get that restored so that it will ask and then I can add it?

I went to my SM profile to delete the webappsstore.* and couldn't find that file. I did a search for it and did find it in a couple of my SM backup files that I think were from just before I upgraded to version 2.49.3. There are several folders in that previous backup file that aren't in my current one, including that file you recommended I delete. I'm guessing I must have screwed up the upgrade to 2.49.3? Maybe that's the cause of my password manager issues. So I guess I've discovered a new problem. I do remember the warning about doing the upgrade so I'm guessing that's where I went wrong??
therube

Post by therube »

I went to my SM profile to delete the webappsstore.* and couldn't find that file.
Should be there.

Make sure you're in the folder that is your Profile folder (& not just some folder that looks like your Profile folder).
about:support should (in a round-about way) show you where it is.
On some websites I don't get the popup asking me if I want to save the password or not.
Some websites purposely block savings of passwords.
You could try a bookmarklet, remember password. (Doesn't always work.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Dritz wrote:.... Thanks so much for the password manager URL!
  • You're welcome! :wink:
Dritz wrote:.... I was trying to find the answer to this but maybe you would know. On some websites I don't get the popup asking me if I want to save the password or not. I don't remember ever saying "never". How do I get that restored so that it will ask and then I can add it?
  • Edit > Preferences > Privacy & Security >> Passwords > Password Manager >> [X] Remenber Passwords
Dritz wrote:.... I went to my SM profile to delete the webappsstore.* and couldn't find that file.
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

ELTxolo,
Thanks for the path to the "Remember Passwords" but that was already checked. I guess there must be limitations to how it works? And I don't know of a way to pick up a password, one that it "missed", if that's even possible. Maybe not.

Thanks also for the profile path. I also found it in another place that didn't have some of those folders I had mentioned but I did find them in the path you suggested. Phew! I woke up at 3:30am trying to figure out how I was going to fix my profile. It's still a mystery as to why my password manager is honked but I guess I should just let it go. Hard for me to do, I can be like a dog with a bone! LOL! Thanks again! Debbie