SeaMonkey slow to launch

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
shakushinnen

SeaMonkey slow to launch

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi all,
FWIW ....... Occasionally I find SeaMonkey slow to start up (in excess of one minute) for the first time, after booting my computer. Sometimes everything is slow, and sometimes it's only SeaMonkey. I have read and tried everything I can think of on several occasions to fix it, but have never got a handle on the problem; but what I have found is that running Wise Registry Cleaner usually fixes the problem. (I often run Wise Disk Cleaner too.) These are free programs. The start is still slow (around 10 seconds) but I can live with that. Just thought I'd let everyone know.
...... john
frg

Re: SeaMonkey slow to launch

Post by frg »

The V2 safebrowsing lists which usually caused this are dead now in 2.49.x. 2.53.1 switched to V4. Might be the add-on blocklist fetch. Try disabling automatic add-on updates and limit looking for a new version to once a week too.
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi frg,
Yes. I have automatic updates disabled. I've also tried removing the items in the safebrowsing folder, and removing the folder itself. It didn't help.
Thanks for the suggestions.
..... john
frg

Post by frg »

The lists are in browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.lists or browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.lists but not sure if bad things will happen in case you blank the pref. Might be worth a try. Blocklists are in browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.lists and not sure either if they are still effective in 2.49.x
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:Occasionally I find SeaMonkey slow to start up (in excess of one minute) for the first time, after booting my computer.
What "homepage"? Is it "about:blank", "about:mozilla" or some webpage (like e.g. "https://www.kijiji.ca/")?
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi TPR75,
I use Startpage, but I have tried, about:blank. I'm only suggesting, above, what works for me when I have this problem.
Thanks,
...... john
therube

Post by therube »

Registry
Mozilla barely touches the Windows Registry, so there really is nothing to "clean" in that respect (pertaining to Mozilla, & most likely not for anything else either).

Monitor CPU usage on startup.

Windows Task Manager is probably OK (on XP).
Process Hacker or Process Explorer (Sysinternals) might be more informative.

Look for A/V or whatever that may be eating CPU during these slow starts.

You're on XP, so in general there shouldn't be an issue.
(Don't even get me started with Win10 & all the crap that goes on there.)

There have been times when particular (Mozilla) [files] had gotten huge (& which ones escapes me) [&] could cause problems. So just poke around your Profile & see if anything looks out of wack.
Last edited by therube on January 31st, 2020, 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

safebrowsing_notes.TXT:

Code: Select all

i discovered ... ;-)

something like
to neuter (Google) Safe Browsing ...

create & set to READ-ONLY:

> /safebrowsing/
> /safebrowsing-backup/
(circa 10-2018) so not exactly sure if it still applies.
Note the 'create' part & note that /safebrowsing-backup/ does not normally persist - only existing temporarily.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

I have automatic updates disabled.
There are no more 2.49 updates (period), with 2.49.5 being the last (SeaMonkey) for XP.
(2.49.5 is one of the last, latest available browsers to run on XP.)
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

shakushinnen wrote:I use Startpage, but I have tried, about:blank. I'm only suggesting, above, what works for me when I have this problem.
SeaMonkey is based on the same engine like Firefox (SM 2.49.x -> Firefox 52.x + some fixes from higher versions). It means you can use some suggestions for Firefox:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... onnections
Like FRG wrote above disabling Google's "Safe Browsing" is first step.
--
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

I don't have the problem, since running the Wise Registry and Disk cleaners; but I'm sure it will crop up again, so when I do I'll try your suggestions.
Thanks.
...... john
P.S. I had Windows 10, and initially loved it; but in short order discovered that it had a mind of it's own, which insisted on "its" preference, not mine, so its sitting in corner until it learns how to behave.
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
So, do I just leave the value blank in about:config? (I rarely use Google.)
Thanks,
..... john
P.S. And here's another odd thing. If I wait for a few minutes after windows loads, before attempting to start SeaMonkey, it loads in a bout 10 seconds, compared to the 45 seconds it takes If I try starting it right after Windows XP loads.
frg wrote:The lists are in browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.lists or browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.lists but not sure if bad things will happen in case you blank the pref. Might be worth a try. Blocklists are in browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.lists and not sure either if they are still effective in 2.49.x
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
I've discovered that the Malwarebytes Services is what was causing the increase in launch time of SeaMonkey, Firefox and other apps. When I disabled the service, SeaMonkey's start time went from over a minute to about 10 seconds.
...... john
Last edited by shakushinnen on February 21st, 2020, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks for reporting back.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
One more thing. Aside from Malwarebytes slowing things down, I discovered that Windows 7 update service REALLY bogged things down. I ended up setting it to disable or Never Update (then allowing it to update when I wasn't using the computer). I only have 2 gigs of ram, so that doesn't help either. As it turned out SeaMonkey was never the problem, just the canary in the coal mine. Now everything's running tickety-boo.
.... john