Portable - From portableapps to Non portableapps

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
wpr

Portable - From portableapps to Non portableapps

Post by wpr »

I've been using the portableapps version for quite some time and am unimpressed with their file structure and also that they don't seem to keep up with the latest version.

To update SM, I've been downloading the latest portable version (non portableapps) and copying various files into the appropriate folders, which works OK, despite the amount of time to do so.

I've just extracted the non portableapps version (2.53.7.1) into a new folder and was wondering if anyone could tell an easy way to determine which folders/files should be copied from my current SM folder to the new SM folder (i.e., from portableapps version to non portableapps version). As a longtime SM user, I have many add-ons, extensions, and mail folders.

Here's something interesting: my current SM has four email accounts. If I launch SM using the newly downloaded portable version (in its own separate set of folders), it shows one email account (which is in the list of four). I don't understand why any portable software would reference a folder on the C disk, and not allow this reference to change; which SM does. Sort of defeats the whole purpose of portable, in my opinion.

Many thanks for any insights.
Last edited by wpr on April 16th, 2021, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Portable - From portableapps to Non portableapps

Post by DanRaisch »

You refer to using the portable version but don't indicate why you make that selection. Are you running it from removable media?
frg

Post by frg »

You only need to copy your profile if it is not already there. Open about:support and check the location of the profile folder.
Two levels up is the profiles.ini usually. Under Windows profile.ini goes to %appdata%\roaming\mozilla\SeaMonkey.
Then comes Profiles and then the actual directories with them eg. %appdata%\Roaming\mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\mydefaultprofile
therube

Post by therube »

Doesn't "portable apps" have something like a:
/Bin/SeaMonkey/
directory?

Simply delete everything in the (portable apps) /SeaMonkey/ directory,
& copy everything over from the (SeaMonkey release) /seamonkey/ directory in to the (portable apps) /SeaMonkey/ directory.

Oh.
Not sure if you're wanting to retain "portable" ?
or to ditch portable & go with Release.

Above is to retain portable.
(And with that, you would continue to start SeaMonkey from the SeaMonkey-portable.exe [or whatever it may be called] file.)
Last edited by therube on April 15th, 2021, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

As the question involved "updating" I'm not clear as to whether the OP is concerned with data files or SeaMonkey program files. Perhaps that will be clarified in a future post.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

wpr wrote:I've been using the portableapps version for quite some time and am unimpressed with their file structure and also that they don't seem to keep up with the latest version.

To update SM, I've been downloading the latest portable version (non portableapps) and copying various files into the appropriate folders, which works OK, despite the amount of time to do so.

I've just extracted the non portableapps version (2.53.7.1) into a new folder and was wondering if anyone could tell an easy way to determine which folders/files should be copied from my current SM folder to the new SM folder (i.e., from portableapps version to non portableapps version). As a longtime SM user, I have many add-ons, extensions, and mail folders.

Many thanks for any insights.
You do not need to install the new 2.53.7.1. The easy way is to start the setup, but not complete it. Click on setup, let it extract all the files it would use to completely install the new version. You will then see an icon which says "Welcome to the Seamonkey Setup Wizard. STOP here.

Look in your windows temp folder. You will find a new temporary folder, dated right at the time you started the extraction. Inside that folder you will find a sub-folder called core and a setup.exe file. Ignore the setup executable. Open up the core folder. Inside you will find all the files you need to update your current SeaMonkey Portable program.

Go to wherever you put your SeaMonkeyPortable. Open up that folder and inside you will see several sub-folders in this order (App, Data, Other), Open up App, inside you will find a sub-folder called SeaMonkey. Open that folder. In there will be your older SeaMonkey essential files. Go back to that temp folder and copy everything in the core sub-folder on top of your older Seamonkey files (it will replace the old with the new). Be sure that as you do all of this that SeaMonkey is closed.

When next you start up SeaMonkey Portable, you will have the new version.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
frg

Post by frg »

If you want to do this under Windows the easy way is to just use the zip:
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/seamonk ... n64/en-US/

It is there for every language and release.

Not recommended outside protable because does not install the OS integration DLLs and registry settings for file associations but for testing it is fine.
wpr

Post by wpr »

Thanks for all the replies.

As I noted, I want to use the non portableapps version of portable SeaMonkey, instead of the currently used portableapps version. I have several email accounts set up, add-ons, and so forth.

While I could just use the non portableapps version and slowly get it to my current state of SM, I was hoping to be able to copy the appropriate files from my current folders to the new folders to accomplish this.

I'll figure out what to do.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

My, my, what a lot of writing this thread has.
wpr wrote:.. wondering if anyone could tell an easy way to determine which folders/files should be copied from my current SM folder to the new SM folder (i.e., from portableapps version to non portableapps version)
Yep -

#1. Install and run non-portableapps version.
#2. Enter about:support in the addressbar and press Enter. Go to Profile Folder > Open Folder on the page and press button. When explorer page opens then EXIT non-portableapps version and then delete* all files/folders in that profile folder showing in explorer.

#3. Start your existing portableapps version. Enter about:support in the addressbar and press Enter. Go to Profile Folder > Open Folder and press button. When explorer page opens, COPY all files/folders from that profile and PASTE them into the, now empty, profile of the non portableapps version.
#4. Start non portableapps version and you're done.

* or cut and paste somewhere else.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

wpr wrote:I've been using the portableapps version for quite some time and am unimpressed with their file structure and also that they don't seem to keep up with the latest version.
well there were updated versions of portable Seamonkey from PortableApps that were "silently" or quietly updated for the past few days.
guess you were not fully aware of the recent updates when you first created this topic
wpr

Post by wpr »

This thread was about not using the portableapps version. I have found their SM updates to not be timely.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

wpr wrote:This thread was about not using the portableapps version. I have found their SM updates to not be timely.
wpr,

I suggest that you may want to read the above posts. They are self-explanatory.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome