seamonkey for android

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
shakushinnen

seamonkey for android

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi all,
I have a cheap little android tablet that I would like to put a light weight browser on. SeaMonkey is what I normally use on Windows; but I read that SeaMonkey doesn't do Android?
If that's the case, what would you recommend, that will work on a low resources tablet. I'm not expecting much, just some light surfing, possibly checking my Hotmail. The tablet seems to be geared toward Youtube, Google, and Chrome, all of which seem to require some sort of membership, and would likely be slow on my system,
Any help is appreciated.
........ john
Last edited by shakushinnen on September 24th, 2021, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Re: seamonkey for android

Post by DanRaisch »

At this time it appears there is no Android version is available —. https://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Thanks Dan.
... john
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

shakushinnen wrote:Hi all,
I have a cheap little android tablet that I would like to put a light weight browser on. SeaMonkey is what I normally use on Windows; but I read that SeaMonkey doesn't do Android?
If that's the case, what would you recommend, that will work on a low resources tablet. I'm not expecting much, just some light surfing, possibly checking my Hotmail. The tablet seems to be geared toward Youtube, Google, and Chrome, all of which seem to require some sort of membership, and would likely be slow on my system,
Any help is appreciated.
I've been wishing for an Android version of SM since Android was invented! Unfortunately, it looks like there never will be one.

I spend 99% of my online time on a nice, big, 17.3" Linux laptop, so for the few minutes I may need a browser on one of my phones or tablet, I just make do with Chrome. Of course, you're deeply entrenched in the Google ecosystem when you do that! I don't mind because, after all, I do use Android and do need access to its Play Store and everything. But if you really don't want to do Chrome, there are quite a few other browsers available. The only one I've tried [recently] is DuckDuckGo, which is very nice, especially when it comes to privacy. However, I can't attest to it being a lightweight browser.
frg

Post by frg »

> I've been wishing for an Android version of SM since Android was invented! Unfortunately, it looks like there never will be one.

It is basically a different codebase. Mozilla recently trashed it too and split into Geckoview and new Daylight Browser. Everything frontend is being removed from the mozilla-central repository and ony Geckoview is left. Last I looked new Mozilla browser for Android is a 1-2 star rating wonder at the google store but was 2 months ago :)

Android code is being removed from 2.53. and 2.57. Makes no sense to keep the old obsolete stuff and would need to be reimplemented anyway. Unless a few developers show up really tackling it will never be a thing.

FRG
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi,
Odd, I would have thought that a SeaMonkey android browser would be a no-brainer.
.... john
LinuxUserSince1991

shakushinnen wrote:Odd, I would have thought that a SeaMonkey android browser would be a no-brainer.
I did and didn't. I mean, on the one hand, SM has always had a native Linux version--and, Android being a Linux and all, it seemed like a no-brainer that they'd make an Android version.

But, on the other hand, I can't even imagine using SM on a phone! I'm on a big laptop and use every bit of its 17.3" inches to view SM with a dozen+ tabs open, along with its mail client. Shoot, just its mail client alone takes up a LOT of real estate! Considering its various panes, and everything, it's BIG. My current phone has a 6.5" screen, but I just can't imagine trying to really use SM on it.

So while I've always wished for an Android version, I really can't see using one! If that makes any sense at all. :D
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

shakushinnen wrote:If that's the case, what would you recommend, that will work on a low resources tablet. I'm not expecting much, just some light surfing, possibly checking my Hotmail.
AdBlockPlus, DuckDuckGo and Brave all offer browsers for devices available from 'the store' There should also be a resident browser on your device either as part of the OS or added by the device manufacturer.
IdOp

Post by IdOp »

shakushinnen wrote:... SeaMonkey doesn't do Android?
Any help is appreciated.
I've switched to Bromite on my tablet. Not sure how it will do on yours, but you could try.

As for open-source apps without google's prison, you can try F-droid. You don't have to use their app, you can search for and download things from their site.
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi Wish you were here,
There is a browser, Chrome; but I'd like something a little lighter and less intrusive.
... john
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

Hi IdOp,
I've never heard of Bromite, or F-droid. I'll have a look at those.
Thanks,
.... john
LinuxUserSince1991

shakushinnen wrote:Hi IdOp,
I've never heard of Bromite, or F-droid. I'll have a look at those.
F-droid is a repository of Android apps, without being tied to Google. In other words, it's an alternate source for apps versus the Google Play Store. It's an excellent option for those who don't want to be in the Google ecosystem, or if you're just browsing for the fun of it.
shakushinnen

Post by shakushinnen »

OK. So, it's something like Aptdroid, which I have.
Thanks,
... john
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

shakushinnen wrote:Hi all,
I have a cheap little android tablet that I would like to put a light weight browser on.... what would you recommend, that will work on a low resources tablet.
I tested about 12 browsers on tablet/phone and most are either very slow, resource draining or lacking in features. I now use the Dolphin browser, which is none of those.

Two things to bear in mind with Android tablets, firstly that you actually hardly ever need to use a browser very much as most sites (Wikipedia, Daily Mail media, YouTube, https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_GB&gl=US, etc, etc. all have phone optimised apps that do a much faster loading/browsing job than any browser does. They also do some really good games on Andriod. :).

Secondly, tablets and phones, in my view, are really insecure right from the Google OS through to the apps themselves, i.e. never put any financial transaction usernames/passwords on a tablet. That's why the Dolphin browser being Chinese made doesn't bother me.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LinuxUserSince1991

Frank Lion wrote:
Two things to bear in mind with Android tablets, firstly that you actually hardly ever need to use a browser very much as most sites (Wikipedia, Daily Mail media, YouTube, https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_GB&gl=US, etc, etc. all have phone optimised apps that do a much faster loading/browsing job than any browser does.
Very true, but since the OP is dealing with a "cheap little" tablet, space may be a concern. One of the things I recommend to Android users with limited space is to eliminate apps if the company's website will suffice. That way they can use one app, a browser, in place of 10, 20, or 30 standalone apps--and free up a lot of space.
Secondly, tablets and phones, in my view, are really insecure right from the Google OS through to the apps themselves, i.e. never put any financial transaction usernames/passwords on a tablet. That's why the Dolphin browser being Chinese made doesn't bother me.
They're as secure or insecure as the user makes them. Google *does* provide end-users with tools to control their privacy and data, although they're not necessarily obvious or easy to find. It takes some digging and moving from place to place to get *all* settings the way you want, but once that's done, you're good to go. As for apps, staying away from free apps/apps with ads, and only installing apps from trusted sources are good ways to prevent security issues there. Chinese apps are notorious for 'phoning home' so I certainly don't use any of them! I routinely store usernames and passwords in apps/websites on my phones/tablets and feel perfectly safe doing so--because I know I've done everything possible to make sure they're secure.