Opening Outlook MSG files in SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
MyUsernameHere

Opening Outlook MSG files in SeaMonkey

Post by MyUsernameHere »

Hi.

I've been browsing the web for ways to open Outlook MSG files without having Outlook. One source (https://www.lifewire.com/msg-file-4143363) suggested that SeaMonkey "should be able to view" them.

I already have FF, Thunderbird, and Lighting installed, so I was careful to avoid using any SeaMonkey features that might interfere with their operation (especially TB). I used the SM Mail and Newsgroups window but canceled out of setting up any email accounts. I used File | Open | Saved Message and saw that MSG was listed as one of the file types, so I opened an MSG file.

I also started TB and opened the same MSG file there for comparison. Finally, I opened the MSG in Notepad for further comparison.

I did this for five saved messages.

Notes:
  • SM and TB are able to interpret the MSG file much more clearly than Notepad.
  • Sometimes both SM and TB display a header showing the from/to/date/subject or some parts of a header. This appears to depend somehow on the way Outlook saved the message.
  • The SM display is noticeably cleaner, mainly by recognizing a broader character set than TB.
  • Neither SM nor TB handles images.
  • Neither SM nor TB interprets the HTML in the message. Depending on the layout of the message, they either display the HTML tags or they consider the HTML body to be an attachment that they cannot display.
I'm not sure whether I'm missing something, but my question is: Do SM's volunteer developers expect to implement a friendlier display of Outlook MSG files?

Thanks!
therube

Re: Opening Outlook MSG files in SeaMonkey

Post by therube »

Does SeaMonkey Mail display or have the option to display html &/or to use JavaScript?

Both are probably not too safe.
But, I'm thinking that in order to (more) properly view .msg, at the least html would need to be enabled.

Do .msg store images within or might they be linked, externally?

As far as the SeaMonkey part of things, if TB doesn't do it either, I wouldn't hold my breath.

From what I can see (except maybe for something "Microsoft") there doesn't look to be much out there that handles ".msg" well - either stand-alone or online. Some will handle "simple" example files, but then fail with unicode or sample with strange dates.
(I would be careful with any stand-alone program.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
MyUsernameHere

Post by MyUsernameHere »

Thanks. I'm always wary of standalone apps, especially those with little or no reputation. Micro$oft decided, no doubt, to make the .MSG format difficult to parse and not to offer a viewer, so that users have to buy Office if they need to open .MSG files.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

MyUsernameHere wrote:Thanks. I'm always wary of standalone apps, especially those with little or no reputation. Micro$oft decided, no doubt, to make the .MSG format difficult to parse and not to offer a viewer, so that users have to buy Office if they need to open .MSG files.
Found this, may be helpful.

https://msoutlookworld.blogspot.com/201 ... d-eml.html

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
MyUsernameHere

Post by MyUsernameHere »

Thanks, Nick. Unfortunately, "method 2" that doesn't involve having Outlook is equivalent to opening the .MSG file directly in TB. (In the Open dialog, change the "open what" (box next to the file name) to "All Files" and select an MSG file. Renaming is unnecessary.) See my original post for the results.

The recommended software (PST Converter Tool) looks like it is a repackaged FreeViewer. (See https://emailindetail.com/blog/top-8-fr ... ed-in-2020 ) It might work, but it seems like a security risk because (I think) it's from an otherwise unknown developer.

:(
therube

Post by therube »

it seems like a security risk
Agreed.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript