Amazon slows SM down to a crawl

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
LinuxUserSince1991

Amazon slows SM down to a crawl

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

I'm using a loaner laptop right now while waiting for my new daily driver to arrive. All along I was thinking there was an issue on *my* laptop causing this, but now that I've seen it happen on a different one, I think it's a SM problem. Here's what happens:

I go to Amazon--any part of it, whether for shopping or to use Amazon Drive--and SM immediately slows down to a crawl. I mean...it's.......like.........watching............ice..............thaw.............

Trying to scroll up/down a page takes forever. From the moment I do an action, like scroll up or click a link, until the time the action actually happens, can easily be 10-30 seconds.

It doesn't only affect Amazon--any other sites I have open are impacted, too. And closing the Amazon tab does not fix the problem. Only shutting down SM and restarting it does.

Let me proactively say, no, I have not tried running SM in safe mode! :) Since this is happening on two completely different computers, I'm not sure what that might accomplish. Both laptops are very high-spec, powerful, and recent, running variations of Ubuntu 20.04LTS (one runs Kubuntu, the other Pop!_OS).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Peter Creasey

Re: Amazon slows SM down to a crawl

Post by Peter Creasey »

Amazon still works fine for me with SM.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

No issues here with Amazon on Windows 10 and latest seamonkey..
LinuxUserSince1991

I wish I knew what was causing my problem. It's as predictable as the sun coming up every morning! It's so bad, sometimes I'll look over at the clock just to make sure the seconds are still changing, i.e., the computer hasn't locked up! It's that bad.
therube

Post by therube »

Let me proactively say, no, I have not tried running SM in safe mode! :) Since this is happening on two completely different computers, I'm not sure what that might accomplish.
Well now, you'll never know unless you try.
Let's see... Help | Restart with Add-ons Disabled.

sea monkeys loads, scrolls, whatevers, just fine.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
LinuxUserSince1991

therube wrote:
Let me proactively say, no, I have not tried running SM in safe mode! :) Since this is happening on two completely different computers, I'm not sure what that might accomplish.
Well now, you'll never know unless you try.
Let's see... Help | Restart with Add-ons Disabled.
Okay, now we know! :) Nope. Didn't matter. The first two or three pages, I thought, hmmmm.... seems to be a lot faster. Then when I started hopping around, checking my orders, viewing product pages, etc., it was back to slow as frozen molasses.

Where do we go from here?
sea monkeys loads, scrolls, whatevers, just fine.
HA HA HA!! Thanks for the chuckle! :D
trevoz

Post by trevoz »

No problems with the Amazon site for me with FreeBSD + SM 2.53.9.1 (yes, I hopped around product pages, my orders etc).
LinuxUserSince1991

trevoz wrote:No problems with the Amazon site for me with FreeBSD + SM 2.53.9.1 (yes, I hopped around product pages, my orders etc).
Thanks. I wish I could say the same. I can switch to FF or Chrome [or any other browser] and it's fast as can be. But I don't want to use any of those other browsers, you know?! ](*,)
therube

Post by therube »

Where do we go from here?
Test in Safe Mode.
Test in a new, clean Profile.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:I'm using a loaner laptop right now while waiting for my new daily driver to arrive. All along I was thinking there was an issue on *my* laptop causing this, but now that I've seen it happen on a different one, I think it's a SM problem. Here's what happens:

I go to Amazon--any part of it, whether for shopping or to use Amazon Drive--and SM immediately slows down to a crawl. I mean...it's.......like.........watching............ice..............thaw.............

Trying to scroll up/down a page takes forever. From the moment I do an action, like scroll up or click a link, until the time the action actually happens, can easily be 10-30 seconds.

It doesn't only affect Amazon--any other sites I have open are impacted, too. And closing the Amazon tab does not fix the problem. Only shutting down SM and restarting it does.

Let me proactively say, no, I have not tried running SM in safe mode! :) Since this is happening on two completely different computers, I'm not sure what that might accomplish. Both laptops are very high-spec, powerful, and recent, running variations of Ubuntu 20.04LTS (one runs Kubuntu, the other Pop!_OS).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
FWIW, I have no issues with Seamonkey 32 bit at Amazon.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome