32 bit Seamonkey on Windows 10

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ndebord

32 bit Seamonkey on Windows 10

Post by ndebord »

Wonder if there is any data on how 32bit Seamonkey runs on a new 21H1 Windows 10 64 bit OS computer? I have lazily been running Seamonkey32 bit for years, but recently switched to a new laptop. When running 32bit Seamonkey, I have been getting BSODs. Thought it was a RAM module or motherboard, but just now changed over to 64 bit Seamonkey and the BSODs have stopped. Not long enough to be definitive, but worrisome.

Tks,

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Rob_S

Re: 32 bit Seamonkey on Windows 10

Post by Rob_S »

I have 32bit seamonkey on two fully updated windows 10 laptops, and have not had ANY problems at all. Both do heavy web browsing and tons of email every day.

I also have 64-bit on one similarly configured laptop, with no issues. It just uses more ram!
frg

Post by frg »

The x86 SeaMonkey is compiled with clang 11 and the 64 bit one with VS2019 16.11 so there are differences. If you run with 4GB or preferably 8GB or more I suggest switching to the x64. But in any case a real live BSOD is something not SeaMonkey. Usually hardware or driver related. Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date and maybe run a memtest. The x86 might use system code in a different location from the x64.

FRG
Last edited by frg on December 3rd, 2021, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

On multiple PCs the 32-bit SM has performed admirably with each of the Windows 10 versions, including the most recent one.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

frg wrote:The x86 SeaMonkey is compiled with clang 11 and the 64 bit one with VS2019 16.11 so there are differences. If you run with 4GB oder preferably 8GB or more I suggest switching to the x64. But in any case a real live BSOD is something not SeaMonkey. Usually hardware or driver related. Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date and maybe run a memtest. The x86 might use system code in a different location from the x64.

FRG
FRG,

Thanks for the info. I passed that on to the Framework laptop developers. The Framework team have produced a laptop that is upgradable with just a screwdriver, all the parts can be removed and replaced including the motherboard, etc. BIOS and drivers, IMO, are still a work in progress and I suspect that is where the issue lies, just as you say. I have 16Gig RAM on this laptop and since I switched to 64bit Seamonkey, I have not had any more BSODs. Will see.

Nick
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
frg

Post by frg »

The x86 is not getting much testing from me. I run the Windows b1 x64 pre builds 99% of the time and leave the others to Bills testers and the other devs. It should work fine but for media playing it might run out of juice fast(er). I frequently see 2 to 3GB with media and other bloated websites plus a few tabs open. With 16 GB go for the x64 and don't look back.

FRG
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

frg wrote:The x86 is not getting much testing from me. I run the Windows b1 x64 pre builds 99% of the time and leave the others to Bills testers and the other devs. It should work fine but for media playing it might run out of juice fast(er). I frequently see 2 to 3GB with media and other bloated websites plus a few tabs open. With 16 GB go for the x64 and don't look back.

FRG
frg,

I have the Dump files if you have any interest at all. The Framework developers have more or less admitted to me that there are issues with the BIOS version they shipped with my laptop. When they have an official (not beta) new version, I shall install it, but I doubt I shall try to run Seamonkey 32 bit with it then.

Best,

Nick
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Rob_S wrote:I have 32bit seamonkey on two fully updated windows 10 laptops, and have not had ANY problems at all. Both do heavy web browsing and tons of email every day.

I also have 64-bit on one similarly configured laptop, with no issues. It just uses more ram!
Rob_S,

Yup, the issue is with this new laptop's BIOS... Developers there are aware and will have an official upgrade available to fix such issues. Still, I might as well stick with the 64 bit Seamonkey. It does run faster.

Nick
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Peter Creasey wrote:On multiple PCs the 32-bit SM has performed admirably with each of the Windows 10 versions, including the most recent one.
Pete,

Good to hear, on my laptop it is a BIOS problem that the Framework developers know about. Any day now, I shall get a new BIOS and if I wanted to go back to 32 bit SeaMonkey I could!

Tks,

Nick
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

ndebord wrote:Wonder if there is any data on how 32bit Seamonkey runs on a new 21H1 Windows 10 64 bit OS computer? I have lazily been running Seamonkey32 bit for years, but recently switched to a new laptop. When running 32bit Seamonkey, I have been getting BSODs. Thought it was a RAM module or motherboard, but just now changed over to 64 bit Seamonkey and the BSODs have stopped. Not long enough to be definitive, but worrisome.

Tks,

Nick
curious as to why you are mentioning about Windows 10 21H1 (build 19043) which was released in late May 2021 when 21H2 (build 19044) just came out last month in late November
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

4td8s wrote:
ndebord wrote:Wonder if there is any data on how 32bit Seamonkey runs on a new 21H1 Windows 10 64 bit OS computer? I have lazily been running Seamonkey32 bit for years, but recently switched to a new laptop. When running 32bit Seamonkey, I have been getting BSODs. Thought it was a RAM module or motherboard, but just now changed over to 64 bit Seamonkey and the BSODs have stopped. Not long enough to be definitive, but worrisome.

Tks,

Nick
curious as to why you are mentioning about Windows 10 21H1 (build 19043) which was released in late May 2021 when 21H2 (build 19044) just came out last month in late November
4td8s

I'm usually a month behind, out of an excess of caution. Only do bug fixes that are zero day.

Aside: updated just now. <g>

Nick