Need to re-enter e-mail password during session

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Couscous1994

Need to re-enter e-mail password during session

Post by Couscous1994 »

Previously, after restarting SeaMonkey, I was asked to enter my e-mail server password twice, once for the IMAP server (to read messages) and once for the SNMP server (to send messages). I would not be required to re-enter the password during the same session, even for months if SeaMonkey was not restarted. I prefer not to save the password and instead enter it twice per session.

Since approximately the previous version (probably 2.53.9) and still in 2.53.10, SeaMonkey repeatedly 'forgets' my password and I have to re-enter both the IMAP and the SNMP password every once in a while, in unpredictable intervals. This also causes my Inbox not to update until I click on a message or the 'Get Msgs' button. In this way, I am often not notified of new incoming messages.

Is this a bug or a feature, and how could it be fixed?

Thanks, Couscous
Anonymosity

Re: Need to re-enter e-mail password during session

Post by Anonymosity »

I guess the question is: do you want passwords to be remembered or not? That applies to browsing as well as email.
Couscous1994

Post by Couscous1994 »

Well, I liked how it worked before: Keep the password in RAM during one session, but don't save it to disk. That way, access to the mail server is lost when SeaMonkey or the computer are shut down. Entering the password once every few days/weeks was acceptable for the added security. Now I have to either enter the password several times per day or accept to save it to the profile.
frg

Post by frg »

Came with a bunch of password handling backports from later versions. I think there is even a bug open. Irritates me a bit too but I didn't find the time yet to identify and fix the offending code. Suspect it happens when you sometimes switch accounts and/or an internal temporary network error occurs.

FRG