Seamonkey crashes

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ndebord

Seamonkey crashes

Post by ndebord »

Occasionally, SeaMonkey 2.53.10.2 crashes... I have read that faulty extensions are often the cause of this.

I have found that ublock and AdblockLatitude may cause a crash. Installed both separately and both crashed Seamonkey. No crashes since then, but it is early days. I'll give it 24 hours of uptime to see if this is indeed what is going on.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
TPR75

Re: Seamonkey crashes

Post by TPR75 »

ndebord wrote:Occasionally, SeaMonkey 2.53.10.2 crashes...
Did you updated your BIOS with fixed CPU's microcode because of "Meltdown and Spectre" vulnerabilities? I did and I hade few crashes:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14914610
... and I wonder if compilers/tools used to build SeaMonkey have been updated. If it matters in this case.
--
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

TPR75 wrote:
ndebord wrote:Occasionally, SeaMonkey 2.53.10.2 crashes...
Did you updated your BIOS with fixed CPU's microcode because of "Meltdown and Spectre" vulnerabilities? I did and I hade few crashes:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14914610
... and I wonder if compilers/tools used to build SeaMonkey have been updated. If it matters in this case.
TPR75,

This is a brand-new laptop from Framework so that issue with the BIOS is not a problem.

The consensus has been that the various extensions cause the problem, but I'm no expert.

Nick
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ndebord wrote:This is a brand-new laptop from Framework so that issue with the BIOS is not a problem.
It's not about "BIOS issues". All new PCs are (or at least should be) delivered with updated microcode in BIOS/UEFI. So I'll take it as "yes".

Extension (especially old ones) could be problematic that's why you can find suggestions related to disable them (one-by-one to check which one causes problem). It's a part of "standard diagnostic".
--
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

TPR75 wrote:
ndebord wrote:This is a brand-new laptop from Framework so that issue with the BIOS is not a problem.
It's not about "BIOS issues". All new PCs are (or at least should be) delivered with updated microcode in BIOS/UEFI. So I'll take it as "yes".

Extension (especially old ones) could be problematic that's why you can find suggestions related to disable them (one-by-one to check which one causes problem). It's a part of "standard diagnostic".
TPR75,

Yes, extensions, of which I have a multitude. Have been too lazy to go through them one by one.

Nick
v_v

Post by v_v »

Nick,

I am not sure that I am following the cause and effect here. I have had ublock origin for years with all the progressing versions of SeaMonkey (SM) since that time. With the current 2.53.10.2 version of SM I have noticed no crashes with ublock origin.

As for Adblock Latitude, as I understand it that is a forked version of Adblock Plus tweaked to work on Pale Moon (and I have it installed on both Pale Moon and MyPal). Given this connection with Adblock Plus then there is also the note in the SM Release Notes that says:
Adblock Plus 2.9.1 may cause huge memory and CPU consumption and is not recommended or officially supported in this SeaMonkey version. Consider switching to uBlock.
So maybe Adblock Latitude could cause crashes. I don't know.

v_v
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

v_v wrote:Nick,

I am not sure that I am following the cause and effect here. I have had ublock origin for years with all the progressing versions of SeaMonkey (SM) since that time. With the current 2.53.10.2 version of SM I have noticed no crashes with ublock origin.

As for Adblock Latitude, as I understand it that is a forked version of Adblock Plus tweaked to work on Pale Moon (and I have it installed on both Pale Moon and MyPal). Given this connection with Adblock Plus then there is also the note in the SM Release Notes that says:
Adblock Plus 2.9.1 may cause huge memory and CPU consumption and is not recommended or officially supported in this SeaMonkey version. Consider switching to uBlock.
So maybe Adblock Latitude could cause crashes. I don't know.

v_v
v_v

Well, to be safe, I disabled both, but am still getting crashes. I will find the time to go through all my extensions one by one. Thanks for reminding me about AdBlock Latitude. I installed it when it helped with a couple of websites and I do check and remove memory using about:memory and did see it used up more memory, but nothing that impacted SM performance. Will have to go through my long list of extensions to see what is causing this issue.

Tks,

Nick
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Maybe you are learning an advantage of running your process lean and clean rather than loaded with add-ons.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Peter Creasey wrote:Maybe you are learning an advantage of running your process lean and clean rather than loaded with add-ons.
Pete,

Seamonkey without XUL extensions? Not where I want to go!

Nick
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Maybe you are learning an advantage of running your process lean and clean rather than loaded with add-ons.
Peter, that may be something you see as an advantage but that's just your opinion. Please allow others to define "advantage" in the way that works best for them.