Desktop shortcut for SM Mail

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
WILLYLEAN

Desktop shortcut for SM Mail

Post by WILLYLEAN »

I have the latest version of SM on my new Windows 11 PC, but I am unable to work out how to create a desktop shortcut for mail..
Can anyone please help?
Thanks, Bill
v_v

Re: Desktop shortcut for SM Mail

Post by v_v »

Willylean,

I do not know the simplest way but I think that this one will work.

First of all make a desktop shortcut for SeaMonkey (or a second one if you already have one). You may do this by:

1. going. to the SeaMonkey folder at "C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\";
2. finding and right-clicking the "seamonkey.exe" file;
3. choosing first "Send to" and then "Desktop".

Second once you have this new shortcut on your desktop:

1. right click on it and choose "Properties";
2. in the "Target" section in the middle of the screen that pops up you should see the location listed as "C:\Program Files\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe"; click in the box, go to the end of the target command, and add the following characters: "[one space]-mail" (so you will be adding six characters altogether, the space, the dash and then "mail");
3. Click "Apply" at the bottom of the screen, and then also click "OK".

An optional third step would be to right click on your new shortcut, choose "Rename", and then to choose whatever new name you wish to call the new shortcut.

That should do it.

v_v
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

v_v wrote:I do not know the simplest way but I think that this one will work.
Simplest way: click LMB on Start button -> search SeaMonkey -> click to expand -> click and hold RMB on "SeaMonkey Mail" -> drag to desktop and drop choosing "shortcut" as an option.
--
WILLYLEAN

Post by WILLYLEAN »

Thanks for your suggestions, but this latest version doesn't have a separate mail exe file.
Anyway, I now have a work around by starting the browser and mail upon launch..
Thanks for your help..
Bill
v_v

Post by v_v »

Willylean - Bill,

If you have a workaround that is fine, but did you attempt to follow the instructions that I supplied? Your comment said something about "a separate mail exe file", but my instructions said nothing about a "mail exe" file (and neither did those of TPR75). Basically my instructions were to simply set up a duplicate SeaMonkey shortcut and then to modify that shortcut so that it would directly launch the Mail component without having to launch the browser.

TPR75 even supplied you with a simpler way to accomplish the task:

1. simply click the Windows start button, scroll down until you find the SeaMonkey folder;
2. click on the little downward arrow to the right to open that folder;
3. then choose, click and hold down on the SeaMonkey Mail icon, and drag that icon onto your desktop. DONE!

TPR75's solution takes all of about 10-15 seconds!

If you then examine the "Properties" of the created shortcut you will see that the Target section says exactly what my instructions indicated.

v_v
WILLYLEAN

Post by WILLYLEAN »

Hi v v,
Yes, I tried the suggestions but the file does not exist..
I was familiar with this workaround before..
Cheers, Bill
v_v

Post by v_v »

Willylean - Bill,

There is no "file" to look for in TPR75's instructions (which I reworded in a different way). You are simply looking for an icon in the start menu.

As for my instructions, if you have SeaMonkey installed and are able to run it, the "SeaMonkey.exe" file has to exist somewhere.

Do you have Windows Search activated? If so, when you click on the Windows Search icon (the magnifying glass next to the Windows start button) and type in "SeaMonkey", Windows should pull up many SeaMonkey related entries, one of them should be "SeaMonkey Mail"; if you use your down or up arrows to highlight that entry one of the choices on the right will say "Open file location"; clicking on that will take you to a folder where the SeaMonkey Mail shortcut exists. From there you would just need to drag it to your desktop..

Alternately, that same search method will show you where "SeaMonkey.exe" exists, if you wished to follow my original directions.

Still though, TPR75's suggestion simply takes 15 seconds or less, if you follow my re-wording of his instructions---and remember that you are looking for a folder on the start menu, then inside the folder you are looking for an "icon", not a "file".

My final words, I promise!

v_v
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

WILLYLEAN wrote:I have the latest version of SM on my new Windows 11 PC, but I am unable to work out how to create a desktop shortcut for mail..
Can anyone please help?
Thanks, Bill
Bill,

Variation on using a shortcut to take you directly to Seamonkey's email module. On my system, I only run portable apps, including Seamonkey, so the path to Seamonkey on my system is more complicated.

So this is how it looks on my system. on desktop, right click on it and create a new shortcut and this is what I put in it when it asked what you want to put in this location:

C:\totalcmd\PortableApps\SeaMonkeyPortable\App\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail

I now have a shortcut on my desktop that says Seamonkey and it is pointed directly to the email component.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
soltasword

Post by soltasword »

As for me, seamonkey does not add an icon in the start menu for mail. It used to. but since automatic updates got re-enabled and it messed up the mail icon on the first update, I no longer have an email icon in my start menu. I tried going all the way back to version 2.53.6 and every one since but still no mail icon. Not even on a clean install do I get an email icon. I used to have both seamonkey and seamonkey mail icons on my task bar but not any more.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

soltasword wrote:As for me, seamonkey does not add an icon in the start menu for mail. It used to. but since automatic updates got re-enabled and it messed up the mail icon on the first update, I no longer have an email icon in my start menu. I tried going all the way back to version 2.53.6 and every one since but still no mail icon. Not even on a clean install do I get an email icon. I used to have both seamonkey and seamonkey mail icons on my task bar but not any more.
Soltasword,

Perhaps you need to install Toolbar Buttons. Version 1.0.2.1 works for me. Will try to find the URL. In options you tell it how to load the email module. On my computer that would be

c:\totalcmd\PortableApps\seamonkeyportable\App\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe -mail

Very nice email icon.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome