Cannot retrieve mail

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Bluelead

Cannot retrieve mail

Post by Bluelead »

SeaMonkey 2.53.10 was working fine for me and my Windows 7. Then I lost the ability to retrieve mail. The green retrieving line (bottom of screen) goes across to the end and stalls there. The following message come up "Host contacted, sending information." Mail is never retrieved. I have to use AOL, so when I opened AOL my mail was there to open. The password for using AOL and SeaMonkey is the same as required by AOL. When I exit SeaMonkey this message appears, "Logged to server pop.verizon.net with username Bluelead failed." I can use SeaMonkey's Browser link to Internet websites. If I compose a message and attempt to send it I get this message, "Connected to smtp.verizon.net." The green action line goes across and this message appears, "Login to server smtp.verizon.net with username Bluelead failed." I tried changing the SeaMonkey password and then put it back. That didn't do anything to fix the mail problem. Now to open SeaMonkey I have to log on with the AOL password, which is the same one I have been using for AOL and SeaMonkey for years. I really don't want to change it because AOL is a bear to work with and has been working for me until this problem. Sorry to be so long in describing the problem. Just frustrated. Thanks for understanding.
v_v

Re: Cannot retrieve mail

Post by v_v »

Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

I tried to follow the instructions given from Forums.mozillazine.org. After three attempts using the password generators, I was able to retrieve my SM mail. However, I thought I would be able to use my old SM password instead of the generated one.

This is what I have to do now: 1. Logon with my old SM password, which I never had to do in the past. Is there a way to avoid this step or is that what AOL requires now? 2. My SM mail will not work with the old SM password. But, using the window that pops up and inserting the AOL generated password SM mail works. I thought the generated password was a one time use, and I could continue to use the SM password? 3. The other thing I did in trying to get the AOL generated password to work was to go to passwords in SM and use my old SM password (or re-establish it) in the Change Master Password and Reset Master Password. 4. Using my old SM password I can get into my mail on AOL.

Is this the proper setup to use from now on? Will I always have the AOL generated password to get my SM mail or will that go away with time? Thank you.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

In the SM email processor, you should set the AOL-generated password as the default for retrieving AOL email.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Sorry for the late reply. I was locked out of MozillZine for some reason, but I am back in with the same login and password. So far everything is back working with everyone's help. Because I used the Master Password Reset in my frustration, I lost all my passwords. However, I have hard copies backups and re-establishing them with a purge of ones I no longer use.

I have one question. With all the changes required of AOL, I now have to login and use my Master password to open SM. For the years I have been using SM this is a new requirement. Any way to go back to not having to do this one step? Thanks for all the suggestion from the group.
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

In regards to my previous Post question, I believe I know why this happened and need a work around. Following the instructions all of you gave me I was able to AOL update my wife's computer and a lap top. With these two computers I don't have the Logon window requirement or requirement to send emails. This is because I was asked the question if I want to Save the Password. I answered "OK" and i don't have Logon requirement for these two computers. However, I missed that step when I was trying to working out my problem with my primary desktop computer. I tried getting a new AOL generated password, but it didn't give me the Password option. How can I save my Logon Password? Thanks!
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

In SeaMonkey Password Manager, delete the current password, then send or receive email and enter the new password in the SeaMonkey popup.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Did not work for me. I deleted the AOL password from the Manage Stored Passwords. Re-established password in AOL. Opened SM, but had to give password again. It did not give me the additional window to save the password.
Bluelead

Post by Bluelead »

Based on the last posting, there is no way to correct my problem with saving my password?