How SeaMonkey handles spam

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
LinuxUserSince1991

How SeaMonkey handles spam

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

I've wondered about this forever, but never enough to actually ask!

When I view a message that SM thinks is spam, it says: "SeaMonkey regards this message as junk." At the other end of that line there are three buttons: a green check and a question mark, a caution sign and 'not junk,' and an 'X' (to close the warning).

I don't see an option to say YES, THIS IS JUNK! If I click the green check-mark, it just explains that SM thinks this message is junk and I have to train SM to detect spam over time. Got it. Been doing that for decades. Clicking 'not junk' works as expected--mail from that source is no longer flagged as junk. Great. Pressing the X closes the warning--until opening that e-mail again, then it's back. How/where do I tell SM "you're right! it *is* junk?"

If I'm viewing a list of mail in a folder, one like the above will be marked as junk in the junk column. But I have to click it--which UNmarks it as spam--and then click it again to mark it as spam and cause it to disappear. Why? When SM correctly marks something as spam, how [while viewing a list of messages] do I get rid of that e-mail? UNchecking it and then re-checking it seems silly--it started out checked correctly, but there's no way to act on it other than unchecking/re-checking it. Please tell me I've missed something...for decades. :)
Rob_S

Re: How SeaMonkey handles spam

Post by Rob_S »

There are several setting in the mail account setting that affect this.

Adaptive junk controls turned on, and at the bottom turn on "move new messages to junk folder"

Also, in the global settings try to turn on the "When I mark a message, Move them to..."

Then you can click in the junk icon column of your mail window to mark a message as junk, and it will move automatically.

It should then also move automatically if a new message comes in that seamonkey already knows is junk
LinuxUserSince1991

Rob_S wrote:There are several setting in the mail account setting that affect this.

Adaptive junk controls turned on, and at the bottom turn on "move new messages to junk folder"

Also, in the global settings try to turn on the "When I mark a message, Move them to..."

Then you can click in the junk icon column of your mail window to mark a message as junk, and it will move automatically.

It should then also move automatically if a new message comes in that seamonkey already knows is junk
Perhaps I didn't explain it clearly enough. When viewing a list of mail in a folder, messages SM thinks are junk ALREADY have the junk column marked. In order to move it automatically as junk, first I have to UNCHECK the junk column mark and then RE-CHECK it. THEN it disappears [into the junk folder].

As for the settings you mentioned, they're all already set--and have been since the inception of spam settings. Messages SM already learned to be spam are automatically removed before I ever see them. So, to reiterate my questions:

1) How do I make SM move an ALREADY-CHECKED spam message without first UNchecking it and then RE-checking it?

2) When reading a message SM warns may be spam, where is the option to say "yes, this is spam, treat it that way from now on!"? As noted earlier, when reading a message like this, SM puts a warning at the top; the warning has three options: a green check (which, when clicked, explains things), a 'not spam' (which is self-explanatory), and an 'X' to close the warning message. Where's the option to tell SM it's right, this is spam?
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

In the account settings, in Junk Settings, you can enable adaptive junk controls and move new junk messages to wherever you decide.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Aha, I think I now see the issue:

Seamonkey moves "New" spam messages as it should.
Seamonkey moves messages for which you change the status to spam.

Seamonkey does not move messages which are marked a spam, but currently remain in your inbox, maybe because the "Move new messages" option was not checked when they arrived.

So you are looking for a bulk method to relocate these existing spam messages???

My suggestion, since it appears that only the above two built-in options for new or newly marked are available: Sort by the spam column, such that all marked messages are listed together, select all the marked, and slide them into your spam folder.
LinuxUserSince1991

Just to reiterate, my spam settings have been set CORRECTLY for decades; there is no possible way that 'move new messages' wasn't checked when spam arrived and STAYED in my inbox.

For the zillionth time, I'm referring to a message that SM *thinks* might be spam, and--when READING that message--displays a warning at the top. I've already listed the warning's contents so I'll skip that--except for the part about NOT having a choice for saying, "YES, this is spam! REMEMBER it and make this message disappear like all other spam messages..."

Also for the zillionth time, when viewing a folder's list of messages, the 'junk' column is ALREADY checked for this message that SM thinks may be spam. The problem? In order to confirm it as spam and moved accordingly, first I have to UNCHECK the junk column mark and then RE-CHECK it. That is counter-intuitive behavior. If SM already marked it as spam, why do I have to UNMARK and then MARK it again in order to have it move?