Up and Down Scroll Bar Buttons Missing

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
vtmozilla

Up and Down Scroll Bar Buttons Missing

Post by vtmozilla »

Hi I've just today gone from Seamonkey 2.49.4 to current Seamonkey 2.53.12 following the instructions for upgrading (backed up profile, changed master password to blank, etc) and it seems to have worked well, except for the fact that I no longer have up and down scroll buttons on the right side of the SM window. I only have the scrollbar itself.

I have just tried restarting with Add-Ons disabled, and am writing this in that mode, but again, there are no up and down scroll buttons. I also just tried it from a new profile, and there was no change. Theme is Seamonkey Default Theme 2.53.12.

My system is Puppy Linux BionicPup64 with current updates, the exact Seamonkey file used for updating was seamonkey-2.53.12.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar. Computer is an Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop w/ 8gigs memory.

I've been using Seamonkey for over ten years.

Thanks!
Steve

edit:
I just tried switching to another theme already onboard (Seamonkey Modern 2.53.12) and when I switched to it, the scroll buttons were present. It seems the problem is with the Seamonkey Default Theme 2.53.12. This therefore seems to me to be a bug.

On long pages (e.g. long bookmark pages, about:config, etc.) it's virtually impossible to use the Default Theme to scroll graphically. The scrollbar is way too sensitive for positioning accurately without scroll buttons.
Frank Lion

Re: Up and Down Scroll Bar Buttons Missing

Post by Frank Lion »

vtmozilla wrote:worked well, except for the fact that I no longer have up and down scroll buttons on the right side of the SM window. I only have the scrollbar itself.
Hi Steve, it's probably this - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 213152#c23

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 213152#c25

The fix is just to update SeaMonkey again - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.c ... 269145#c39

Incidentally, if I seem to be harsh on Linux theme authors on that Bug, I should point out that in addition to writing SeaMonkey themes, I have also written Linux OS themes as well.

vtmozilla wrote:edit:
I just tried switching to another theme already onboard (Seamonkey Modern 2.53.12) and when I switched to it, the scroll buttons were present. It seems the problem is with the Seamonkey Default Theme 2.53.12. This therefore seems to me to be a bug.
Nope, it is/was a Linux OS theme bug, but SM fixed it for them anyway.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

Hi Frank, thanks very kindly for responding and explaining.

Just a clarification, when you say "The fix is just to update SeaMonkey again" do you mean I should try to update my present 2.53.12 version of Seamonkey, or do you mean that Seamonkey should come up with an update/new version?

I should mention that I did find earlier a mention on the web that ~/.config/gtk.css should have:

scrollbar {
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
}

added to it. I tried that but it didn't work for me, so I removed it. But maybe I didn't do it right.

EDIT: Correct, I didn't do it right first time. Just tried it again and it worked.

Now I just have to figure out how to increase the height of those buttons, since they are really tiny
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

vtmozilla wrote:Hi Frank, thanks very kindly for responding and explaining.

Just a clarification, when you say "The fix is just to update SeaMonkey again" do you mean I should try to update my present 2.53.12 version of Seamonkey, or do you mean that Seamonkey should come up with an update/new version?
I was under the impression that this had already been fixed in SM, in which case, you are already good to go. Maybe not, but I don't have a Linux OS to hand in order to check that.

As you have now found, the correct code in gtk.css is -

Code: Select all

.scrollbar {
  -GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: true;
  -GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: true;
}
....and for other people - note the 'dot' before 'scrollbar' there.

vtmozilla wrote:Now I just have to figure out how to increase the height of those buttons, since they are really tiny
Not having Linux to hand, I can't help you with that. But I seem to recall that scrollbar stuff is defined in gtk-widgets.css, if that helps.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
vtmozilla

Post by vtmozilla »

Thanks Frank again,

Nope not fixed in linux SM 2.53.12 -- that was the version I had the problem in.
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Frank Lion wrote:
vtmozilla wrote:Now I just have to figure out how to increase the height of those buttons, since they are really tiny
Not having Linux to hand, I can't help you with that. But I seem to recall that scrollbar stuff is defined in gtk-widgets.css, if that helps.
On my Kubuntu 21.10 systems, gtk-widgets.css files only exist in subdirectories for themes I installed--and am not even using (I'm bad about housecleaning!). There is no such critter in ~./config/gtk-3.0 and I don't know whether creating one there will help the OP. There are a number of other configuration files there, though; perhaps tweaking one of them would work.