SeaMonkey 2.53.16 update and Lightning/Lightbird calendar

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
v_v

SeaMonkey 2.53.16 update and Lightning/Lightbird calendar

Post by v_v »

[This topic may also be related to the topic at " http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3109000 ".

Something has happened to the Calendar as of the SeaMonkey 2.53.16 update yesterday (Friday, 3-31-2023).

I have the Lightning/Lightbird combo activated (versions 5.8.16 and 0.7.1, respectively), and have the calendar set to start at boot-up.

The calendar starts as normal but the calendar display which immediately shows, now just displays a seven day column block at the top (Sunday through Saturday), but no dates, events, or color highlighting in the main calendar rows and cells. (See " https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/calendar/ " for how the display should look. Apparently as a result of the update all the cells in the grid are are completely empty, with no dates, data, or anything else.

There may be some other issues as well but I cannot completely remember how everything was supposed to look and work, in order to try to compare.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there a solution?

v_v
Frank Lion

Re: SeaMonkey 2.53.16 update and Lightning/Lightbird calenda

Post by Frank Lion »

v_v wrote: ...as of the SeaMonkey 2.53.16 update
Never a bad idea to read the Release Notes of a new version that some poor slob had to spend their time writing for you -

https://www.seamonkey-project.org/relea ... ey2.53.16/

Menu>Help>Release Notes.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
v_v

Post by v_v »

Here is additional data. I just reinstalled SeaMonkey 2.53.15 and everything returned to the way it used to be.

When my calendar boots up it automatically shows a six week Multiweek view with not only the seven day column titles (Sunday through Saturday), but now each cell in the grid has a date and all my events show up in their proper places. The week numbers in the Sunday column also show up, the current day is color highlighted, and when one clicks on a different day it becomes color highlighted. In addition I can click backward or forward to previous and future multiweek screens and see previous and future events.

All of the preceding were missing or did not work in the 2.53.16 update. As stated in my previous post after the update all the cells in the calendar grid are completely blank no matter how far you may click backward or forward, and there is no color highlighting at all.

So yes, as the release notes for 2.53.16 mentioned
Change calendar list tree to a list [bug 1561530].
Various other updates to the calendar code.
it appears that something in the 2.53.16 update has broken various calendar functions.

For now I will need to stay on version 2.53.15.

[Frank, thank you for your quick response. However I did read the notes and while changes are indicated, there are no indications that major features of the calendar have been deleted such as events, calendar dates, color highlighting, etc. So I would say---and maybe this is incorrect---the update has broken various parts of the calendar.]

v_v
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

v_v wrote:[Frank, thank you for your quick response. However I did read the notes and while changes are indicated, there are no indications that major features of the calendar have been deleted such as events, calendar dates, color highlighting, etc. So I would say---and maybe this is incorrect---the update has broken various parts of the calendar.]

v_v
Well, it did say this though -
Lightbird 0.7.1. is not compatible with this version. The message preview pane will not update itself correctly.
I don't use either Lightning or Lightbird, so I'm no expert on this stuff. But, if it was me then I'd disable/remove Lightbird and try 2.53.16 again. Worth a shot.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
v_v

Post by v_v »

Frank,

Yes, I remember that you did not care for the Lightning/Lightbird combo and that you preferred ReminderFox! [" http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 1&start=75 "] (Smile) But the Lightning/Lightbird combo has worked very well for me for years and years and years!!

Also the verbiage that you quoted from the release notes,
Lightbird 0.7.1. is not compatible with this version. The message preview pane will not update itself correctly."
has been there ever since SeaMonkey version 2.53.2. But the Lightning/Lightbird combo has continued to work very well for me up through SeaMonkey version 2.53.15. It has only been with version 2.53.16 that there has been an issue for my purposes (I never used or was concerned about the "message preview pane.)"

--------------------

Now for anyone else reading this thread here are the results from Frank's suggestion of deleting/disabling Lightbird and trying 2.53.16 again.

I removed Lightbird 0.7.1 and then reinstalled SeaMonkey 2.53.16. What happens is that the standalone calendar capability that Lightbird supplies disappears, but the Lightning calendar capability is still accessible through the "Mail and Newsgroups" under the Window menu in the browser or from the link in the bottom left of the browser. With Lightbird deleted in version 2.53.16 the Lightning calendar has all of its normal functions---meaning that all of the calendar and events display correctly.

As a test I then reinstalled Lightbird to version 2.53.16 and the same problems indicated in my original two posts re-appear. So most definitely SeaMonkey version 2.53.16 does not like Lightbird. For me this diminishes the utility of the Lightning calendar, because the "standalone" and "top level" function aspects that Lightbird supplied were my main use of the calendar. To have to go into the "Mail and Newsgroups" section---which I do not ever use---in order to access the calendar is a major dissuader from using it.

Sadly there are no updates available for Lightbird beyond 0.7.1, even though that version indicates "Works with SeaMonkey 2.14 - 2.54" (" https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/th ... /versions/ "), and the developer appears to have discontinued development (" https://github.com/Exalm/lightbird "). So for all those who are interested in the Lightning/Lightbird combo for its standalone calendar and reminder functions, SeaMonkey version 2.53.15 is that last version at the moment where this combo will work. Starting with version 2.53.16 only the Lightning calendar is usable and this must be accessed through the browser proper, via the "Mail and Newsgroups" function.

--------------------

Sigh, for my part, until I figure out how I wish to negotiate and adjust to this new situation, I will go back to and remain with SeaMonkey 2.53.15, with Lightning 5.8.15 and Lightbird 0.7.1.

v_v
nikos_bo

Post by nikos_bo »

To downgrade to 2.53.15 on Win10, should I uninstall SM 2.53.16 before reinstall 2.53.15 ? I tried to install 2.53.15 without uninstallation, SM started as 2.53.15 but when I added my profile location, it restarted with version 2.53.16.
hardys

Post by hardys »

nikos_bo wrote: I tried to install 2.53.15 without uninstallation, SM started as 2.53.15 but when I added my profile location, it restarted with version 2.53.16.
Maybe you have installed the x86 as well as the x64 version of SM?
nikos_bo

Post by nikos_bo »

I see
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16
and I used
seamonkey-2.53.15.it.win64.installer.exe
hardys

Post by hardys »

To be sure maybe you can check in the Windows Control Panel -> Programs and Features if you have 2 entries for Seamonkey (x86 and x64)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

v_v wrote: With Lightbird deleted in version 2.53.16 the Lightning calendar has all of its normal functions---meaning that all of the calendar and events display correctly.
Well, at least you're a lot further along than you were and now know what you're dealing with and what your choices are.
v_v

Post by v_v »

nikos_bo,

I installed SeaMonkey 2.53.15 without uninstalling version 2.53.16. However I also knew that 2.53.15 would automatically update unless I inactivated the update feature.

So I went to " Edit --- Preferences --- Advanced --- Software Installation " and then made sure that under "SeaMonkey" the box for "Automatically download and install the update" was UNCHECKED. I did allow for SeaMonkey to still "Automatically check for updates" because I still want to know when updates are available. That gives me the option for exploration and making choices. But if you do not wish to even know about updates then make sure that that box is UNCHECKED also.

v_v
SkipG

Post by SkipG »

As I also rely heavily on the Lightning/Lightbird combo, I sure hope this issue with 2.53.16 gets resolved. :(
frg

Post by frg »

It will not be resolved magically. Either fork and fix the add-on or find someone who does it.

Not that happy when add-ons break with later versions but we need to update the code to still have a minimal chance of existing in the next years. This unfortunately means changing front-end stuff now and then to be able to apply later stuff without redoing it ourselves 100%.

FRG
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

I was a happy LightBird user as well, but even after disabling it, I'm still not getting my calendars back. I've disabled all extensions other than Lightning, but when I start MailNews, I see the following errors in the console:

Code: Select all

Use of Mutation Events is deprecated. Use MutationObserver instead.  calendar-widgets.xml:275:38

TypeError: currentView(...) is undefined[Learn More]  calendar-multiday-view.xml:2605:28
	enableTimeIndicator chrome://calendar/content/calendar-multiday-view.xml:2605:28
	calendar-multiday-view_XBL_Constructor chrome://calendar/content/calendar-multiday-view.xml:2558:16

TypeError: viewNode is undefined[Learn More]  calendar-views.js:523:9
	getLastCalendarView chrome://calendar/content/calendar-views.js:523:9
	commonInitCalendar chrome://calendar/content/calendar-chrome-startup.js:32:24
	ltnOnLoad chrome://lightning/content/messenger-overlay-sidebar.js:387:5

TypeError: currentView(...) is undefined[Learn More]  calFilter.js:481:50
	getDateForProperty chrome://calendar/content/calFilter.js:481:50
	getDatesForFilter chrome://calendar/content/calFilter.js:551:30
	updateFilterDates chrome://calendar/content/calFilter.js:705:41
	applyFilter chrome://calendar/content/calFilter.js:690:18
	addItemsFromCalendar chrome://calendar/content/calendar-unifinder.js:897:31
	refreshEventTree chrome://calendar/content/calendar-unifinder.js:832:5
	prepareCalendarUnifinder chrome://calendar/content/calendar-unifinder.js:235:13

TypeError: currentView(...) is undefined[Learn More]  calendar-chrome-startup.js:106:21
	onCalendarViewResize chrome://calendar/content/calendar-chrome-startup.js:106:21
	setTodayHeader chrome://calendar/content/today-pane.js:107:9
	onLoad chrome://calendar/content/today-pane.js:44:19
When I click into the calendar itself (menu Events and Tasks > Calendar), I then get this additional error in the console:

Code: Select all

TypeError: view is null[Learn More]  calendar-views.js:283:1
	switchToView chrome://calendar/content/calendar-views.js:283:1
	ltnSwitch2Calendar chrome://lightning/content/messenger-overlay-sidebar.js:628:9
	openTab chrome://lightning/content/messenger-overlay-sidebar.js:71:21
	openTab chrome://messenger/content/tabmail.xml:481:27
	oncommand
I'm using Lightning 5.8.16 and my SM UA is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.16.

In case it was a theme-related issue, I reverted to the default theme, but still get the same issue there too. Any suggestions?
v_v

Post by v_v »

raj_bhaskar,

I have no guarantees with the following but here is my suggestion anyway:

First make a backup copy of your profile as a just in case.
Then re-install SeaMonkey 2.53.15.
If your calendars return, then reinstall SeaMonkey 2.53.16.

But DO NOT reinstall or reactivate Lightbird 0.7.1. --- unless you plan on just staying with SeaMonkey 2.53.15.

v_v