Yahoo Mail in Seamonkey 2.0.6

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
ray2047

Re: Yahoo Mail in Seamonkey 2.0.6

Post by ray2047 »

Are you using "pop.att.yahoo.com"? If you stated that I missed it. From what you wrote last
Just had an AT&T support chat and ADDIE responded:
"I would like to inform you that AT&T has just done a collaboration with Yahoo, to access AT&T email account in any email client
then this is an AT&T Email problem not a Yahoo web mail problem. Yes, there is a Yahoo branding on some AT&T DSL accounts and you can access your AT&T account through the Yahoo webmail interface but they are two different things.
As Always: I may be right. I may be wrong.
cryowolf1771

Post by cryowolf1771 »

I have the same issue on Mac OS 10.5.8 - I cannot even sign in to my Yahoo account using SM 2.0.6

When I press the "sign in" button, nothing happens at all - no little username/password dialog window as expected.

Also, Yahoo should remember me by a cookie (from prior version of SM), but does not seem to do so.

I have reinstalled SM and restarted - no effect.

This is an issue with this version of SM.
sixrealms

Post by sixrealms »

ray2047 wrote:Are you using "pop.att.yahoo.com"? If you stated that I missed it. From what you wrote last
Just had an AT&T support chat and ADDIE responded:
"I would like to inform you that AT&T has just done a collaboration with Yahoo, to access AT&T email account in any email client
then this is an AT&T Email problem not a Yahoo web mail problem. Yes, there is a Yahoo branding on some AT&T DSL accounts and you can access your AT&T account through the Yahoo webmail interface but they are two different things.

Yes, my settings are Settings:
pop.att.yahoo.com 995 SSL No Secure Authentication
smtp.att.yahoo.com 465 SSL No Secure Authentication

My yahoo options has "Allow your att.net Mail to be POPed" selected. (A new setting I've not seen before.)

In the past, the "invalid user/ password" resolved itself. However, a week has gone by and I'm still refused access 95% of the time. Deactivating MS Essentials, Ad-Aware and Spybot had no effect. My scans for malware come back clean. I sure hate to call support and have to respond to their script and ultimately be told that it is my problem. Is there a way to cut through the script BS?

I checked the XP Firewall... turned it off ~ problem remained ~ turned firewall back on.
ray2047

Post by ray2047 »

Not a solution to your problem but I use Gmail to pick up my POP mail from AT&T. One reason I started using Gmail was that sometimes it seems I couldn't get get Thunderbird or Seamonkey to work. I'd wipe out the configuration and start from scratch and maybe the fifth or tenth time or the next day it would work. Of course I use the Gmail addy for almost everything and I can't say for sure if sometimes Gmail fails to connect to AT&T.
As Always: I may be right. I may be wrong.
BillT52

Post by BillT52 »

Try looking at the configuration instructions from the ATT.net support pages here:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp ... ct=9000086

I've had ATT.net dialup as a backup to my cable for some time. With the recent changes, including the change to Yahoo mail, I had to change a lot of setting, including my username (I had to add the @att.net suffix), the server names, turn on SSL connections (which change the port), etc. They should all be in the instructions at the above address, although they are for Thunderbird, so there are a few differences (like the option to turn on SSL is a radio button in Thunderbird, it's a drop down list in SeaMonkey). See if the above instructions help. I couldn't connect either until I made the changes in the instructions, and now I can connect again.

Bill
sixrealms

Post by sixrealms »

ray2047 wrote:Not a solution to your problem but I use Gmail to pick up my POP mail from AT&T. One reason I started using Gmail was that sometimes it seems I couldn't get get Thunderbird or Seamonkey to work. I'd wipe out the configuration and start from scratch and maybe the fifth or tenth time or the next day it would work. Of course I use the Gmail addy for almost everything and I can't say for sure if sometimes Gmail fails to connect to AT&T.

Thanks for the recommending Gmail. I'm not familiar with Gmail and appreciate the conveniences provided by the SeaMonkey email (I'm a former Netscape user). I found a couple suggestions to change the Yahoo/AT&T Account Password. So, I signed into my Yahoo account and changed the password, signed out, went to SeaMonkey email, clicked Get Msgs to receive the invalid error message with subsequent request to enter the password, and it worked. I also had to go into Password Manager and remove the site id for login.yahoo.com in order to have Password Manager store the new password.

In the past, AT&T used the same password for both account (browsing and email) and for access into the DSL network (modem), and that configuration made it difficult to change the password. Now, account and dsl can have different passwords. Apparently, AT&T invests little in testing their changes, and so keep providing us users with problems. Users warned that the problem can return, and to again change the password.

Next day continuation ~ back to the error(999) invalid user/password and none of the previous steps that worked yesterday are working today.

Thank you all for your input.
sixrealms

Post by sixrealms »

As a paying ATT customer, I'm entitled to Yahoo pop. After clean up of malware, my previously working ATT pop was receiving the invalid/user error message 95% of the time in response to Get Msgs. Email was automatically received several times a day and My Yahoo web mail and Seamonkey smtp send mail have no problems. On-line ATT chat gave me their characteristically unprofessional "it's your problem". Annoyed, I used "Yahoo! Contacts Help Form" and sent my complaint and resent it 95 times. Within 2 days, my ATT pop began to work perfectly. When ATT is being unresponsive, I guess you have to find a way to give them a kick in the butt for being a pita.
I'm using 2.0.6 and have not needed to download any extensions or add-ons to have pop access.
sixrealms

Post by sixrealms »

A web search on "Error 999" reports it as a Yahoo message. I found pertinent information on http://www.murraymoffatt.com/software-problem-0011.html . I interpreted this information to mean that Yahoo is blocking ATT email requests based on bandwidth limiting based on IP address demands. I don't understand all about IP addressing. Is Yahoo monitoring the IP address of ATT, my ATT DSL modem, or my router? I can do a connection repair, config/release and reset, or unplug without results. So, perhaps it is ATT's connection into Yahoo email that causes the bandwidth problem?
Daifne

Post by Daifne »

Locking due to spam