nstmp files in email

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
jadinolf

nstmp files in email

Post by jadinolf »

Something new has been added. For the last 2 days I keep finding files in my SM email- nstmp, nstmp-1. nstmp-2.

I've been using SeaMonkey since day one and never saw this before.

Any idea what is causing this and how can I stop it from happening?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: nstmp files in email

Post by DanRaisch »

A quick search of the Knowledge Base turned up this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nstmp_folders
jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

DanRaisch wrote:A quick search of the Knowledge Base turned up this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Nstmp_folders

Hi Dan, I saw that during my search but how do I stop it and why all of a sudden is this happening?

Did I miss that?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If Thunderbird is interrupted during the compacting, it will abort, and the temporary file will not be deleted. If the problem occurs multiple times, you'll see numbered files ("nstmp1", "nstmp2", etc.).

Are you manually triggering compacting? If so, be sure you don't use any other functionality until SeaMonkey has had time to complete the process.
jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

DanRaisch wrote:
If Thunderbird is interrupted during the compacting, it will abort, and the temporary file will not be deleted. If the problem occurs multiple times, you'll see numbered files ("nstmp1", "nstmp2", etc.).

Are you manually triggering compacting? If so, be sure you don't use any other functionality until SeaMonkey has had time to complete the process.

Yes, I manually do it but I always have and never experienced this before.

I guess I'll just stop doing it.

Thanks for your help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, don't stop compacting! You would run into other problems if you don't compact periodically. You need to determine what might be causing this. Recently added extensions, hard drive problems, memory problems, etc.
jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

DanRaisch wrote:No, don't stop compacting! You would run into other problems if you don't compact periodically. You need to determine what might be causing this. Recently added extensions, hard drive problems, memory problems, etc.

No idea :(

I'll keep checking.

I have 5 computers and am experiencing it only on the computer I use the most. :(
jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

Nope, still happening.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

OK, just to be conscientious about this. First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close SeaMonkey and navigate to your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart SeaMonkey and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

If that seems to resolve things for the Inbox you can repeat the procedure for other folders.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

DanRaisch wrote:OK, just to be conscientious about this. First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close SeaMonkey and navigate to your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart SeaMonkey and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

If that seems to resolve things for the Inbox you can repeat the procedure for other folders.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.

Thanks Dan

I just cranked up another computer and the same thing is happening on this computer. After all these years, all of a sudden this is happening. About to drive me nuts.

I will follow your advice and get back to you.

Inbox and all other folders are usually empty since I don't save my emails. We'll give it a shot.
jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

So far so good but I've only gotten a couple of emails if that has anything to do with it.

Dan, I followed your instructions and also set up compact folders if it will save over 29KB. Saw that somewhere in my travels today.

2 computers done so far.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sounds good so far, but 29kb sounds a bit too restrictive. The default value in Thunderbird, for instance, is 100KB.
jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

DanRaisch wrote:Sounds good so far, but 29kb sounds a bit too restrictive. The default value in Thunderbird, for instance, is 100KB.

I know but somewhere I read to set it lower. I don't normally use that feature at all. Let's see what happens.
jadinolf

Post by jadinolf »

DanRaisch wrote:Sounds good so far, but 29kb sounds a bit too restrictive. The default value in Thunderbird, for instance, is 100KB.

Yes, the default in SeaMonkey is also 100K but I just set it lower as suggested.

But back to the main subject. Email is back to behaving. Why I don't know but I did delete the suggested files in my profile.

One thing which may or may not be related-- I don't save my emails and compact my inbox, and sent folders when I am done with them. During this nstmp period which only lasted 3 days. I was unable to compact those folders. I could right click the folder and choose compact but nothing happened.

I'm sure stranger things have happened with SM.

Thanks for the help.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.