TwoPointOne-TwoThings...

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
rsx11m

Re: TwoPointOne-TwoThings...

Post by rsx11m »

Johnfull wrote:You've said elsewhere that no one here is a SeaMonkey developer, except Phil Chee, (who is waiting to win the lottery).
Why don't the developers of SeaMonkey read the forum? It seems that they would want the feedback.

Yes, and Phil is frequently forwarding information picked up from here to the IRC (mozilla chat) discussions so that it gets heard to some extent by the developers. I'm not sure who else stops by to at least read the posts, but there aren't many posts by council members here at MZ. My guess is they are just too busy to browse through all the posts themselves and are thankful that Phil (and therube also, who is quite active in the chat discussions) bring any important issues into that venue. Also, it's publicly accessible at irc://irc.mozilla.org/seamonkey using ChatZilla if you want to join in or just listen what's going on there.

You also mention filing bug reports, but most of us are not tech-savvy enough to do that -- I speak for myself, at least.

You don't have to provide technical details, but something like "Provide an option in the data manager to view all cookies as a single list" from the thread your refer to could have been filed by anybody.

Do you have any idea of what they want to do next? Is this phase of replacement of code with chunks of ToolKit from
Fx and TrdBrd going to go on until there are not those thankful differences any longer?

Toolkit is mostly backend stuff, but impacts of course how the user interface looks like and what functionality is provided. I'm not aware of any list of intended changes, but if so, they should show up on bugzilla as "Port bug xxx from Firefox" or "from Thunderbird to SeaMonkey".
Johnfull

Post by Johnfull »

Would you happen to know if the bug involving the lack persistence of font preferences in the Mail program was ever filed?
Last I heard, we got it from TrdBrd and no one there is interested in repairing it. Can you confirm that? It seems an odd sentiment.
vladmir

Post by vladmir »

rsx11m
but hacking the omni.jar will cause partial updates to fail, then its asking for the full update and will overwrite your changes, thus you'd have to do it every time whereas the custom-strings.txt solution persists through updates.
I newer let any updates.
Before installing SM I change navigatorOverlay.xul netError.xhtml and other - no problem.))
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, I have my own private set of post-install patches that I apply to every release, but that's running as bash script using real patches. It's a different story when users are doing it manually.

Johnfull wrote:Would you happen to know if the bug involving the lack persistence of font preferences in the Mail program was ever filed?
Last I heard, we got it from TrdBrd and no one there is interested in repairing it.

You are talking about bug 250539 New paragraph (e.g. list) clears formatting, does not respect font prefs for HTML messages, I assume? That's ancient, is marked "helpwanted" and has mostly "are we there yet?" comments but also some tips for workarounds (I didn't go through all 221 posts which accumulated by now, though). For Thunderbird, the QuoteAndComposeManager extension has a workaround, but that add-on is complex and likely won't run out of the box for SeaMonkey. Maybe someone can reverse-engineer that part and offer it as a stand-alone extension for SeaMonkey, after consulting with Paolo of course that it's ok with him (or maybe he can spin off a SeaMonkey branch of that extension).
Johnfull

Post by Johnfull »

It is ancient. That was the problem when it first appeared in SeaMonkey. No one had any memory of how it slipped into the
code of ThunderBird and then got buried in ToolKit coding. It suddenly appeared to SeaMonkey users with 2.0's debut and
got a lot of criticism. I can't believe that TB users were unaware of the problem when it really first appeared. Oh, well.
I don't know the name Paolo and his extension sounds pretty exotic. The work-around for normal folks is to move the cursor
back one character -- to actually contact the correct font field -- and then to resume typing and/or pasting. Sometimes, a
message will not begin with the correct font and this requires hand-setting it. That's more rare than typing merrily away and
suddenly losing the style and size when something interrupts the flow. I worry for older users who can't cope with all this...
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Johnfull wrote:I can't believe that TB users were unaware of the problem when it really first appeared.

That bug was filed against Thunderbird 0.6 (20040502) and there are many topics and posts on Mozilla Messaging's official forum at http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_messaging as well, so that problem is definitely noted by Thunderbird users too. I see a dependency on an Editor bug in the list which was added later, that's a Core component again which may contribute substantially to the fix for Thunderbird and SeaMonkey, but it stalled for some reason after creating a try-server test build which apparently resolved some but not all issues related to unintended format changes.

There should be an e-mail for Paolo on the front page of his add-on web site.
Last edited by rsx11m on June 22nd, 2011, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnfull

Post by Johnfull »

The first link is dead.
This one works: http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_mess ... bug_250539
So TBrs have been using a defective Mail composer since May of 2004? Incredible!
It seems that they could have stuck with the prior version till they got the bugs worked out.
Anyway, thank you for addressing the matter. This is more info than we got when SM 2.0 came
out and people were upset by it.
Last edited by Johnfull on June 22nd, 2011, 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

You are welcome. Oops, sorry - I somehow must have switched two characters in that link while editing, corrected now.
Johnfull

Post by Johnfull »

Someone has come up with a scheme:

http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_mess ... bug_250539

Things just get complicateder and complicateder...curiouser, too.

Here's a place to register a complaint:

http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_mess ... age_window

"The bug will occur after ANY action that moves the cursor except typing a character. The problem is that your typing point (^) is just before a hidden end-font tag
^</font>

When you move the cursor (even if you return to the same character position, say by mouse click), you are placed AFTER the end-font tag,
</font>^
and the editor is thus switched to the default font (Variable Width) at that point..."

I submitted a comment on Bugzilla -- got registered first -- and suggested that they go back to the code of SM 1.9x and work from there. TrdBrd is not much different from NetScape/Mozilla/SM, so it would make
sense to go back to the working program and update from there...I can't wait for a response...
vladmir

Post by vladmir »

rsx11m
It's a different story when users are doing it manually.
Yes, for me the easiest way is to change files in zips. I know nothing about patches.-) Changing XULs like changing HTMLs.

Yes, I have my own private set of post-install patches that I apply to every release, but that's running as bash script using real patches.
Could you look at "Download Error" dialogs please?
The code is in dll and I don't know how to find and what to change there to disable this horrible bug.
Johnfull

Post by Johnfull »

Vlad, I was quoting that guy -- I have no idea how to implement what he's talking about.
I was just expressing hope that someone has a work-around. Meantime, someone else has reported
that the newest version of Thunderbird has finally been repaired, so SeaMonkey can have better code soon.
You would need to go to the link I provided and make the request there:

http://getsatisfaction.com/mozilla_mess ... bug_250539
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

vladmir wrote:The code is in dll and I don't know how to find and what to change there to disable this horrible bug.

If it's in a binary file you would have to make that change in the sources and recompile in most cases... simple string changes of equal or lesser length can be done in a binary editor, very carefully.
poppy10

Post by poppy10 »

Really missing the Pinball theme which is not compatible with SM 2.1. In fact the state of theme support for SM 2.1 is pretty pathetic - only two compatible themes are available on AMO.

Are there any major changes between 2.0.14 and 2.1 that break the theming? If not do you think it would work if I just updated the install.rdf to allow SM2.1?
Johnfull

Post by Johnfull »

I had good luck disabling the compatibility check. I got my PrefBar extension back that way.
You have to write a new boolean string in about:config and toggle it false:

extensions.checkCompatibility.2.1
vladmir

Post by vladmir »

poppy10
Are there any major changes between 2.0.14 and 2.1

http://forum.mozilla-russia.org/uploade ... 14-2.1.png