SM2.1 How to disable tab scroll with mouse wheel?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Mc.

Re: SM2.1 How to disable tab scroll with mouse wheel?

Post by Mc. »

rsx11m wrote:Did you hack and install the chrome.xpi extension as described? Without it, the userChrome.xml isn't effective, and the userChrome.css redirect points to a non-existent binding (hence no tabs at all).
Somehow I did miss this :-)
But with the extension installed I get the same result. Should chrome.manifest need a modification for SeaMonkey 2.1?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

No need to change the manifest, but did you remember to change the preference before installing the modified chrome.xpi?
rsx11m wrote:To allow chrome.xpi install "the old way", go into about:config and toggle extensions.alwaysUnpack so that it becomes "true", then the userChrome.xml file can go into the "chrome" folder again and is properly found there.
Mc.

Post by Mc. »

rsx11m wrote:No need to change the manifest, but did you remember to change the preference before installing the modified chrome.xpi?
rsx11m wrote:To allow chrome.xpi install "the old way", go into about:config and toggle extensions.alwaysUnpack so that it becomes "true", then the userChrome.xml file can go into the "chrome" folder again and is properly found there.
You guessed right, the xpi file was packed, so I had to unistall the "User Chrome 1" extension, toggle that setting and install chrome.xpi again.
It works now, but the Lightning (Calendar) tabs and all others in the Mail window are affected, if your code is used in userChrome.css. To avoid this (in SeaMonkey only) #browser must be added.

Code: Select all

#browser .tabbrowser-tabs {
      -moz-binding: url("chrome://userchrome/content/userChrome.xml#tabbrowser-tabs-noscroll") !important;
    }
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Ok, I considered any impact on the mail tabs (which inherits a lot from the tabbed browser) and figured that it cannot hurt to block them from scrolling as well, but didn't think about Lightning (as I don't use it myself).
Mc.

Post by Mc. »

It's not just tab scrolling, it's worse, Mail window tabs wouldn't open.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Eh, my bad - I didn't really test much beyond the browser tabs. Thanks for catching this!
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

So, for mail/news, tabmail extends tabbrowser, and then there are both associations for its tabs by class="tabbrowser-tabs tabmail-tabs", thus most likely my original userChrome.css code overrode tabmail with the tabbrowser definitions, thus the tabmail extensions failed.

XBL inheritance is really a confusing thing... :?
Mc.

Post by Mc. »

rsx11m wrote:Thanks for catching this!
Thank you for all your work and help :-)
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

You are welcome, accidentally switching the tabs while browsing while intending to scroll the page (rather than the tabs) bothered me as well, so it sure was worth the effort. :roll:
Mc.

Post by Mc. »

Seems keyboard scrolling is also disabled now, at least in my Windows XP.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, it's a different event, but both use the "advanceSelectedTab" method to change the tab. Since catching the event didn't work out as intended, the method is cleared, thus disabling changing tabs in this way by all means (mouse wheel and cursor keys, possibly others). The triggering event isn't handed down to that method as a parameter, thus it's not possible to distinguish between different actions.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Thanks, voted.
Kindersama

Post by Kindersama »

This hack disabled completely the scrolling of the tab bar. How can we have the FF behavior please ?
Mc.

Post by Mc. »

Kindersama wrote:This hack disabled completely the scrolling of the tab bar. How can we have the FF behavior please ?
There is no way with this hack , see above. But let's wait for the fix of the bug. If enough people wish it, we may get a solution with key+mouse for tab scroll :-)