SM2.1 How to disable tab scroll with mouse wheel?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
rsx11m

Re: SM2.1 How to disable tab scroll with mouse wheel?

Post by rsx11m »

Kindersama wrote:This hack disabled completely the scrolling of the tab bar. How can we have the FF behavior please ?

The proposal made in the bug to use right-click + wheel to enable tab scrolling sounds a bit odd first, but has the advantage that you can do it with a single hand while still avoiding that the tabs are scrolled accidentally. I'd also prefer to key + wheel option over some hidden preference which people need to toggle, but maybe if users want to either switch it off entirely or want the Firefox style of not needing another key or mouse button, a 3-way pref (always, only with another action, never) might be the way to go. I'm fine with either, but if someone has concerns one way or the other, please comment on the bug.
Kindersama

Post by Kindersama »

Seamonkey 2.3.3 and still no changes to the tab scroll behavior. Going back to Chrome/FF

Farewell Seamonkey, I loved you ;)
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Kindersama wrote:Seamonkey 2.3.3 and still no changes to the tab scroll behavior. Going back to Chrome/FF

Farewell Seamonkey, I loved you ;)

You mean all my hard work in Bug 673878 (Option to disable mousewheel scroll on tab bar) has gone to waste? And just when I was so close too. ](*,)

Phil
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Confirming that Phil's patch works fine and uses the Shift key to activate tab scrolling. Thus, a little more waiting (assuming that this will have to go into 2.6 due to the additional pref) is certainly worth it! =D>
therube

Post by therube »

I've tried patching (hacking, omni.jar) a few times now (in SeaMonkey 2.4).

First time, I could get tabbarscroll to switch between SM/FF modes - depending on whether I Shift'd or not.
Second time I really messed things up. (We'll leave it at that.)
Third time, was like my first.

In no case was I able to get tabbarscroll to default to not scrolling, & only scrolling if I used the Shift+scrollwheel?

Drats!

What's that going to be, 12 weeks+ ;-).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

The pref switches between Shift+scroll (default on Windows) and plain scroll (default on Linux now), but won't offer a third value for "not at all" (the Shift provides IMO sufficient security against accidental scrolling, I wouldn't hold it down when scrolling content).
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

rsx11m wrote:The pref switches between Shift+scroll (default on Windows) and plain scroll (default on Linux now), but won't offer a third value for "not at all" (the Shift provides IMO sufficient security against accidental scrolling, I wouldn't hold it down when scrolling content).

And I've refactored out the code into a separate method (_handleMouseScroll) so that extensions can override the behaviour whichever way you prefer.

Phil
therube

Post by therube »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0a1) Gecko/20110917 Firefox/9.0a1 SeaMonkey/2.6a1

What am i missing?

My tabs scroll without usage of Shift key?
All that holding Shift down is to toggle the meaning of browser.tabs.mouseScrollAdvancesTab?
Or am i still to early, needing a build of the 18th?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
therube

Post by therube »

Appears I've been misunderstanding for quite a while now.

The bug, which requested an way to disable tab scrolling ("Option to disable mousewheel scroll on tab bar"), while marked as "Fixed", does not in any way disable tab scrolling, or even make it more difficult to inadvertently tab scroll (which would have been acceptable - that's what I though the "Shift" was to accomplish).

What is does is to now offer two methods of tab scrolling.

1) the SeaMonkey way, where the tab bar remains stationary & focus changes to the next/prior page (with the page loading if necessary)
2) the FF way, where page focus remains constant & the tab bar itself scrolls

The default method is determined by the Preference, browser.tabs.mouseScrollAdvancesTab, & the default can be (temporarily) toggled by holding down the Shift key.

Now also included is a "hook" (an explicit entry point for extensions to hook into), _handleMouseScroll, such that "you can have an extension that just eats all vertical scroll events". (Anyone up to the challenge?)
Mc.

Post by Mc. »

therube wrote:The bug, which requested an way to disable tab scrolling ("Option to disable mousewheel scroll on tab bar"), while marked as "Fixed", does not in any way disable tab scrolling, or even make it more difficult to inadvertently tab scroll (which would have been acceptable - that's what I though the "Shift" was to accomplish).
Me too, and I hoped it would come with SeaMonkey 2.4. I didn't try SM 2.6a, though.
therube

Post by therube »

"Works" (if you want to call it that) as I've described in 2.6.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

therube wrote:Now also included is a "hook" (an explicit entry point for extensions to hook into), _handleMouseScroll, such that "you can have an extension that just eats all vertical scroll events". (Anyone up to the challenge?)

Similar to the userChrome.xml code I've used to disable advanceSelectedTab itself you should be able to just override _handleMouseScroll in the same way to do nothing (untested):

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE bindings>
<bindings xmlns="http://www.mozilla.org/xbl"
          xmlns:xul="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul">
  <binding id="tabbrowser-tabs-noscroll"
           extends="chrome://navigator/content/tabbrowser.xml#tabbrowser-tabs">
    <implementation>
      <method name="_handleMouseScroll">
        <parameter name="aEvent"/>
        <body/>
      </method>
    </implementation>
  </binding>
</bindings>

To really "eat" the event, you may need an "aEvent.stopPropagation();" as the body, but that would be an easy change.
therube

Post by therube »

AWESOME!
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

With the userChrome.css addition:

Scrolling is eaten if browser.tabs.mouseScrollAdvancesTab;false.
If browser.tabs.mouseScrollAdvancesTab;true, it is not eaten, & scroll works in the SeaMonkey fashion.
If browser.tabs.mouseScrollAdvancesTab;false & you hold down the Shift key, scrolling is not eaten, & scroll works in the SeaMonkey fashion.

(Thinking the FF way <can you believe I said that> is a better default scroll method.)

:D :D :D

Now I can hack 2.4 & rid myself of this varmint!
I'm gonna carry a copy of <my hacked> omni.jar around on my Flash Drive, do dah, do dah.
I'm gonna carry a copy of <my hacked> omni.jar around on my Flash Drive, all do dah day :-) !
therube

Post by therube »

Arrrg, IT'S BACCKKK!

That fix only works so long as tab overflow scroll (arrows) has not kicked in.

If you have five tabs visible & they all fit on the screen, so no left/right scroll arrows, then the css fix works.
If you have 36 tabs in a window, & not all of them fit on the screen, left/right scroll arrows display, & with that the css fix no longer works.
therube

Post by therube »

> (Thinking the FF way <can you believe I said that> is a better default scroll method.)

Most definitely.
(Though I still wish it could be disabled altogether too.)

Though without hacking, won't be here till 2.6.

Achew; Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0a2) Gecko/20111016 Firefox/9.0a2 SeaMonkey/2.6a2