SeaMonkey Mail - change default browser

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
dave_is_sexy

SeaMonkey Mail - change default browser

Post by dave_is_sexy »

I would expect SeaMonkey Mail to follow the system settings for launching web pages and acknowledge that my default browser is Opera. Last time I checked SeaMonkey Mail would only open web links in SeaMonkey Browser. Has this been resolved yet and if not is there a work around?

Thanks
NB: If this is solved in Tb 3 or newer, I'd still like a Tb 2 solution. Cheers.
u r

Re: SeaMonkey Mail - change default browser

Post by u r »

a work around?

copy the link, drop the link in Opera's URL box
dave_is_sexy

Post by dave_is_sexy »

Ha. Stop trolling
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

In about:config, set the preference network.protocol-handler.external.mailto to true. If the preference doesn't exist already, you'll have to add it.

For more information, see http://kb.mozillazine.org/Network.protocol-handler.external.%28protocol%29.
But then again, I may be wrong.
dave_is_sexy

Post by dave_is_sexy »

I think that might be the wrong way round. The Mailto handler concerns initiating emails. I'm talking about using the email client and clicking links within emails that initiate web pages. The trouble is that those pages open in SeaMonkey Browser.
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

Sorry, I misread your original post. The principle is the same, though. Try setting the preferences network.protocol-handler.external.http and network.protocol-handler.external.https to true. I'd guess that this will cause the SM browser to open links in your preferred browser, too, not just from e-mail.
But then again, I may be wrong.
cliffyk

Post by cliffyk »

I tried this and found it did cause the browser to want to use Chrome, in my case. However a dialog opened each time I attempted to navigate asking me to select an application, with Chrome and a browse button offered as selections, and a "make this my default?" (or something like that) checkbox. I selected Chrome and the check but the dialog still popped up at each navigation attempt.

SeaMonkey mail just went nuts, popping up the dialog and then loading some seemingly completely unrelated link in Chrome.

I really like SeaMonkey mail, as an familiar alternative to the buggy and bloated Thunderbird, but this is a deal breaker for me as I am not wild about the SM browser. It's fast however the available skins each have something I really don't like--clutter, low contrast toolbars, active tab, etc...
Neville

Post by Neville »

I can confirm that using:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.http", true);
user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.https", true);

causes SeaMonkey a whole range of problems including:

1 - using eg Safari to download images in HTML emails

2 - attempting to use Safari for email SSL connections resulting in a failure to send or receive emails.

Has anybody found a way to get SeaMonkey to work with an alternative default browser?
RainerH

Post by RainerH »

It's now a year and a half later; has this issue been resolved somehow? I too would really like links opening in Opera instead of the SeaMonkey/Firebird browser/
notek

Post by notek »

How to add this (external http handler) to SeaMonkey urgent feature request list ?
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

There is no such list, but it's a well-known issue that has been around for a while:
  • Bug 108455 - Mozilla mail doesn't open URLs in system default browser.
The initial expectation was "what is really wanted here is stand alone mail" and thus the suggested solution to use Thunderbird (which was about to come out). So, some people claim in the middle that setting the preferences as suggested works, but it didn't work for me with current SeaMonkey versions when I tried that (maybe fiddling with the Link Behavior preferences helps as someone else mentions).

BTW: Before you start yelling at Seth, he has left the Thunderbird team quite a while ago.
therube

Post by therube »

> How to add this

The Pref does not exist by default, so you do need to add it.

about:config
right-click -> New, Boolean
enter the Pref name, then set its value to true/false as desired
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
vfjdesign

Post by vfjdesign »

Hi,
What do I right click on and what do I type for firefox? I do not want to screw it up.
Thank You,
Mike
therube

Post by therube »

about:config
If you don't know what that is, experiment in a new Profile before beginning.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
vfjdesign

Post by vfjdesign »

What I really want is to go back to Thunderbird, but it kept hanging intermittently when deleting or moving emails (sometimes for as long as 1 minute) I am ok with Seamonkey as an email client but what it to use Firefox when I click on a link in an email.
Can you help me with either?