Can SeaMonkey 2.9 include NoSquint or Equivalent?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
R.N. Folsom

Can SeaMonkey 2.9 include NoSquint or Equivalent?

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Can the current SeaMonkey version (2.9) include a NoSquint extension, or an equivalent?

Back in October-November 2011, I asked the question "NoSquint or equivalent available yet?" http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2339897, and got three pages of responses, including some "workarounds" (I think) that required much more computing knowledge than I had then or have now or will ever have in the future.
On November 02, I summarized the thread with what turned out to be a final message http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=11421167#p11421167, and asked for help, but no one responded.

I am still using SeaMonkey 2.0.14, because on my 15" UXGA laptop screen (1600 x 1200 pixels) I really need the ability to enlarge (or contract) text size quickly (in NoSquint it's Ctrl+Shift+ or Ctrl+Shift-) without changing the website's window size. But by now 2.0.14 likely has some security risks. And key links on the (recently redesigned) Schwab website often fail to work, so for financial activity I have to use Microsoft's Internet Explorer (version 8, on WinXPsp3). That's very inconvenient because Schwab sends me email messages that go into SeaMonkey mail, and responding using MSIE8 is awkward. And I simply don't like MSIE.

So if the current SeaMonkey version now can include the NoSquint extension or an equivalent, please let me know.

Alternatively, if the answer to the preceding paragraph is "No NoSquint extension or equivalent exists," but there is a workaround, please let me know how to install such a workaround --- step by step because I am a programming ignoramus.

Thanks for any comments, suggestions, or help.

Roger Folsom
raj_bhaskar

Re: Can SeaMonkey 2.9 include NoSquint or Equivalent?

Post by raj_bhaskar »

I don't know if this would help you, but SM2.8 has a preference: "Prefs -> Appearance -> Content -> Zoom only text instead of full images". If this is ticked, then using Ctrl-+ and Ctrl-- will revert to the old 1.x behaviour of changing text size, not full-zooming.
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Hey Roger...I am in the same boat as you and am watching, also. I am not a programming genius, either.
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

raj_bhaskar wrote:I don't know if this would help you, but SM2.8 has a preference: "Prefs -> Appearance -> Content -> Zoom only text instead of full images". If this is ticked, then using Ctrl-+ and Ctrl-- will revert to the old 1.x behaviour of changing text size, not full-zooming.

Raj:

Thanks very much for that information. But it's only a partial fix, because sometimes I need to expand or contract everything (text and images), and sometimes only text. I assume that if I have set SeaMonkey 2.x (x>0) to expand or contract only text then I can go back to "Prefs -> Appearance -> Content -> Zoom only text instead of full images" and zoom or unzoom everything again.

But that's quite a long path, especially if you are on a website where initially the website has text overlapping an image (or an image overlapping text) and you need to experiment what (text or everything) to zoom or unzoom in order to eliminate the overlapping.
Another example is a website where initially there's a lot of whitespace on each side, so you first want to zoom everything and then either zoom or unzoom the text.

So I'm wondering whether there might be some way to create a direct shortcut to "Zoom only text instead of full images." Such a shortcut could be anywhere: somewhere on a SeaMonkey menu or other bar, or if necessary on the desktop. And ideally, the shortcut could be activated by some combination of keystrokes.

The SeaMonkey version of NoSquint not only has the advantages I mentioned in my opening message in this thread, but also it remembers what settings are used on different websites. That is a great convenience, but I would be satisfied with a simpler version that had only the standard Ctrl+ and Ctrl- to expand or contract everything, plus Ctrl+Shift+ or Ctrl+Shift- to expand or contract text only, without remembering the preferred settings for websites.

Thanks for your thought-provoking response.

Roger Folsom

----------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. Several months ago I had a private email conversation with Philip Chee (the person who adopted Firefox NoSquint into a SeaMonkey version) about NoSquint for SeaMonkey 2.x (x>0), and he responded that he was swamped with other Mozilla projects.

But at the end of Google Groups "NoSquint For SeaMonkey" thread https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mozilla.support.seamonkey/bcsrtzBrXf4 someone reports that the developer of the Firefox NoSquint is against developing it for SeaMonkey.

If that it is true, maybe it is explains (at least partially) why there's no NoSquint for SeaMonkey 2.x (x>0). But the simpler version (no remembrance website settings) I propose above, especially if it had a different name (SquintNot comes to mind), might avoid any intra-Mozilla politics that may be preventing SeaMonkey 2.x (x>0) from having Ctrl+Shift+ and Ctrl+Shift- keys that expand and contract text only.

The current Firefox NoSquint 2.1.5 by Jason Tackaberry is available at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/nosquint/
It is much fancier (e.g. color settings) than I would need.
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Redbugdave wrote:Hey Roger...I am in the same boat as you and am watching, also. I am not a programming genius, either.

Redbugdave:

I don't like the boat that we both are in! Please see my response to Raj_Bhaskar, because his message generated some thoughts that may interest you, and maybe others also.

I am hoping that someone with more technical knowledge than either of us apparently have will look at my thread of last October-November http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2339897 and see if, somewhere among its three pages, it contains any way to add Ctrl+Shift+ and Ctrl+Shift- commands for expanding and contracting only text, to SeaMonkey 2.x (x>0).

Thanks for your response. It's comforting to know that I'm not only the one who is sticking to SeaMonkey 2.0.14 because of it can use NoSquint.

Roger Folsom
Redbugdave

Post by Redbugdave »

Thanks Roger. Yes, I have been keeping up on those threads. I think there is a need for someone that knows programming to take over NoSquint.
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

Thanks to suggestions by Andy Boze and others, I can report that there IS an (imperfect) alternative to No Squint. Details are at HELP needed: VERY Small Font in SM 2.13.2 Bars, Etc., at http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2619401, messages 15 and 16.

Roger Folsom
vazhavandan

Post by vazhavandan »

try the modified nosquint here
therube

Post by therube »

We're well aware of the mod'd version, but that does not work in current SeaMonkey's.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript