Migrating from Firefox to SeaMonkey browser FAQ

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
rsx11m

Re: Migrating from Firefox to SeaMonkey browser FAQ

Post by rsx11m »

Pim wrote:Other keyboard shortcut differences are Alt+1 through Alt+6.

Code: Select all

Key combi Firefox            SeaMonkey
Alt+1     Go to first tab    Activate Browser window
Alt+2     Go to second tab   Activate Mail window
Alt+3     Go to third tab    (Nothing, used to be Instant Messenger)
Alt+4     Go to fourth tab   Activate Composer
Alt+5     Go to fifth tab    Activate Address Book
Alt+6     Go to sixth tab    Activate IRC Chat

Ctrl+PgUp and Ctrl+PgDn work the same though.

Actually, Alt+{1,2,4,5,6} doesn't do anything for me, but Ctrl+{1,2,4,5,6} serve as keyboard shortcuts to the individual components. Ctrl+3 most likely was the Calendar rather than Instant Messenger (which would be ChatZilla all along).
Pim

Post by Pim »

rsx11m wrote:
Pim wrote:Other keyboard shortcut differences are Alt+1 through Alt+6. (...)

Actually, Alt+{1,2,4,5,6} doesn't do anything for me, but Ctrl+{1,2,4,5,6} serve as keyboard shortcuts to the individual components. Ctrl+3 most likely was the Calendar rather than Instant Messenger (which would be ChatZilla all along).

I'm so sorry, I have no idea why I wrote Alt. It was always Ctrl of course. I edited my message.
Also took the opportunity to verify, but Ctrl+3 was indeed AIM in Netscape 7, not IRC.
Groetjes, Pim
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Ahhh, was wondering why that one didn't do anything!
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Pim wrote:Also took the opportunity to verify, but Ctrl+3 was indeed AIM in Netscape 7, not IRC.

Ok, this must have been a Netscape thing, given their connection with AOL.
jez

Post by jez »

patrickjdempsey wrote:

Code: Select all

Command                 Firefox      SeaMonkey

Show History Sidebar     Ctrl+H      F9 (whole sidebar)         
Show All History     Ctrl+Shift+H   Ctrl+H         
Show Bookmarks Sb   Ctrl+B/Ctrl+I   F9 (whole sidebar)            
Show All Bookmarks   Ctrl+Shift+B   Ctrl+B         
Private Browsing   Ctrl+Shift+P   Ctrl+Shift+B      
Bookmark All Tabs   Ctrl+Shift+D   (no shortcut)      
Search                Ctrl+K/Ctrl+E   Ctrl+Shift+S   

Urlbar open URL
   in new tab:          Alt+Enter      Ctrl+Enter

I didn't like the fact that virtually the only way to open the feature-rich sidebar in SM was to press F9, so I'd like to point out that my MonkeyFix extension adds "Bookmarks" and "History" toolbar buttons, à la Firefox, to open the appropriate parts of the sidebar. Makes it more discoverable.
== Jez ==
patrickjdempsey

Thank you jez! Updated the OP. :)
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
raj_bhaskar

Post by raj_bhaskar »

I didn't like the fact that virtually the only way to open the feature-rich sidebar in SM was to press F9

There's also the menu item View -> Show/Hide -> Sidebar
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

jez wrote:I didn't like the fact that virtually the only way to open the feature-rich sidebar in SM was to press F9, so I'd like to point out that my MonkeyFix extension adds "Bookmarks" and "History" toolbar buttons, à la Firefox, to open the appropriate parts of the sidebar. Makes it more discoverable.

raj_bhaskar wrote:There's also the menu item View -> Show/Hide -> Sidebar

The toolbar button for the sidebar is a very good idea and it should have been part of SeaMonkey from the start. Going to the menu is very inconvenient. Pressing F9 is convenient if you are using keyboard but since the sidebar is mostly operated with mouse then this means switching between keyboard and mouse - not convenient. This is one of the reasons I rarely used the sidebar - I was too lazy to open it :)

If we are at extensions then let me point out that the newest version of Mouse Gestures Suite I'm currently maintaining has an option to define a gesture for opening and closing the sidebar.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
patrickjdempsey

This is a FAQ, make a new topic if you want to have a discussion.
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

So SM supports HTML5 and all other modern features? I'd gladly move from FF to something more classic looking if it support canvas and webgl, especially after chromeization of Firefox's interface.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

darkhog wrote:So SM supports HTML5 and all other modern features? I'd gladly move from FF to something more classic looking if it support canvas and webgl, especially after chromeization of Firefox's interface.

SeaMonkey supports all the HTML5 that Firefox supports. Also canvas an webGL. We use the same Gecko engine. The main difference is the front end UI.

Phil
jez

Post by jez »

Philip Chee wrote:
darkhog wrote:So SM supports HTML5 and all other modern features? I'd gladly move from FF to something more classic looking if it support canvas and webgl, especially after chromeization of Firefox's interface.

SeaMonkey supports all the HTML5 that Firefox supports. Also canvas an webGL. We use the same Gecko engine. The main difference is the front end UI.

Phil

And now the fact that you can actually develop on it because extensions don't need to be signed. :)
== Jez ==
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Pim wrote:
rsx11m wrote:
Pim wrote:Other keyboard shortcut differences are Alt+1 through Alt+6. (...)

I'm so sorry, I have no idea why I wrote Alt. It was always Ctrl of course. I edited my message.
Also took the opportunity to verify, but Ctrl+3 was indeed AIM in Netscape 7, not IRC.

For Mac OS, it is Cmd plus the number.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Lemon Juice wrote:The toolbar button for the sidebar is a very good idea and it should have been part of SeaMonkey from the start. Going to the menu is very inconvenient. Pressing F9 is convenient if you are using keyboard but since the sidebar is mostly operated with mouse then this means switching between keyboard and mouse - not convenient. This is one of the reasons I rarely used the sidebar - I was too lazy to open it :)

The only way I can open the sidebar with Mac SeaMonkey with a shortcut is to use Option-PageUp or Option-PageDown. Those are supposed to open previous or next tab in sidebar, but those are the only ones that will open it at all.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Anonymosity wrote:For Mac OS, it is Cmd plus the number.

Yes, that's a known Mac thing (and correctly documented so in the General SeaMonkey Shortcuts section of the F1 Help content).