MozillaZine

Where's the URL bar in Sea Monkey?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
basinbsasins

Post Posted March 19th, 2014, 1:33 pm

All of a sudden, the toolbar where I type in a URL is gone. How do I get it back? I thought it would be in the VIEW preferences, but I don't see it.

smsmith

Post Posted March 19th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Try View -> Show/Hide and make sure that Navigation Toolbar is checked.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

Gort

Post Posted March 19th, 2014, 2:54 pm

View > Show/Hide > Navigation Toolbar

Edit: What he said above. ;)

basinbsasins

Post Posted March 19th, 2014, 3:16 pm

That just give a nav bar that lets me go up, down, back , etc. I want the bar where I actually type in a URL.

Gort

Post Posted March 19th, 2014, 4:13 pm

Then maybe try by right-clicking the bar and choosing Customize. Move the URL bar (called Location in Customize) from the Customize window to your Navigation Toolbar by dragging it there. Not sure what happened, but the URL bar should be in your Navigation Toolbar, which is why both of us above suggested doing what we said.

smsmith

Post Posted March 19th, 2014, 5:23 pm

Being able to remove the address bar really does make the browser pretty unusable. Maybe Mozilla should consider not letting you do that. Hahahaha. I'm funny.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted March 19th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Good one!
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

basinbsasins

Post Posted March 19th, 2014, 8:12 pm

That did it. Thanks Gort.

Philip Chee

Post Posted March 20th, 2014, 6:40 am

smsmith wrote:Being able to remove the address bar really does make the browser pretty unusable. Maybe Mozilla should consider not letting you do that. Hahahaha. I'm funny.
Mozilla agrees with you so starting with Firefox/Australis the location bar isn't removable.

Phil

smsmith

Post Posted March 20th, 2014, 7:38 am

Philip Chee wrote:
smsmith wrote:Being able to remove the address bar really does make the browser pretty unusable. Maybe Mozilla should consider not letting you do that. Hahahaha. I'm funny.
Mozilla agrees with you so starting with Firefox/Australis the location bar isn't removable.

Phil

I know, Phil. That was the joke. I'm hoping Seamonkey doesn't go down that road.

therube

Post Posted March 20th, 2014, 7:53 am

Oops. I see (now reading) that Gort had already said this (oh well):
I just realized (tested), that you can in fact remove the Location Bar (URL bar), by dragging it into the Customize dialog.

Bug 982727 - The location bar has suddenly disappeared on two different computer on the same network
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

therube

Post Posted March 20th, 2014, 8:08 am

Being able to remove the address bar really does make the browser pretty unusable

I was in Lowes the other day & was wanting to check an email confirmation they had sent to me.

And their systems display no URL bar, so you cannot randomly type a URL, anywhere.
That kind of locks their system to their "home page".

But, there was a Google search box on their webpage.
And by typing in your wanted destination (yahoo.com in my case) into the search box, Google would find it, allowing you to then proceed to where you wanted. (And from there into my yahoo webmail.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

lonsmac

Post Posted March 31st, 2014, 4:33 pm

I read this forum with interest since my Sea Monkey navigation page suddenly stopped showing anything above the tabs, which do not look like the tabs I normally have. I have an older iMac and a new Macbook Pro, and I have been using the full-blown Mozilla browser since Netscape. The laptop came with OX8, and I upgraded to OX9 MAVERICK without a problem. However, I have just upgraded to OX9 on my 2007 iMac and ran into a few problems. First, my keyboard function keys no longer worked, and I had to buy a new extended keyboard, which I installed two days ago and which mostly works fine. The second problem came when I was using Sea Monkey version 2.25, and the entire top part of the screen suddenly disappeared. It would not show me anything above the tabs, including the menu bar, URL location bar, bookmarks, or anything else. It also would not show the bottom bar of the screen, including the status bar and icons. I closed and opened the program several times, finally made my log-on password work, and the screen will not show anything but the tab line and the main window. I cannot use the help menu the tools window, or the preferences. This time I have a toolbar for the URL, but not the menus. My mail window, which I get by typing Command-2, works fine. I am not a technician, and I have logged on to write this using Safari. Please help.

patrickjdempsey

Post Posted March 31st, 2014, 6:49 pm

FYI: on this board it is customary to start a new thread if you have a new problem.

More than likely you have a broken extension... something that worked in an old version but does not work in the current version. You should be able to launch the Addons Manager by pressing Cmd+Shift+A. Try disabling all of your extensions first and see if that helps. Then you can try enabling them one at a time until the problem happens again.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/

lonsmac

Post Posted April 1st, 2014, 6:37 pm

Thanks much, the answer was so simple but you saved me a ton of exasperation. It worked right away. Sorry I broke protocol,my problem looked similar to this one and I did not know if it was related or not. Almost everything is back to normal now with my iMac and Maverick, and Sea Monkey is back to its usual, comfortable self. I have been very happy with this browser for a very long time now. Thanks again for your help.

Return to SeaMonkey Support