User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
joseph5

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

Post by joseph5 »

Image Toolbar seems to work fine.
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

tonymec, if you just want the ability to do userChrome style modifications, my Generic CSS Loader 2 works in SeaMonkey just fine: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... dl-updated It does not actually edit the userChrome.css file though, it uses a different method of storage.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

ElTxolo wrote:
tonymec wrote:... There used to be a separate ChromEdit extension but that was a long time ago (before MRTT was invented, IIRC) and I can't find it back at either AMO or Mozdev.

Image There is a extension called ChromeEdit Plus.
But apparently, only works with firefox & thunderbird (10.* and up).

I haven't tried it; but the userC* files in the profile haven't changed much in a very long time, at least since Firefox 0.10, and I'd bet even money that Netscape 4.7 and earlier already had them. I'd guess there's a good chance that the converter could handle this extension easily, especially if it gets these files by JS as described here, and not at a hardcoded path. (The CSS that Gecko accepts has evolved, but the files are still in the chrome/ subfolder of the profile, and CSS is just text after all.)

BTW, the DOM Inspector extension mentioned in that extension's writeup is packaged with SeaMonkey, at least with the trunk and aurora builds, but extension sepsis-inspector is being developed as its next generation; there is also a sepsis-console.
Best regards,
Tony
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

:( I really hope that isn't going to replace DOM Inspector. Do Not Want.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

The regular releases of SeaMonkey come with 3 extensions right from the start: DOM Inspector, Chatzilla, and JavaScript Debugger.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

tonymec wrote:I haven't tried it; but the userC* files in the profile haven't changed much in a very long time, at least since Firefox 0.10, and I'd bet even money that Netscape 4.7 and earlier already had them.

Err, I don't think the pre-Gecko/XPFE Netscapes had the userChrome.* configuration options?
http://mxr.mozilla.org/classic/search?string=userChrome.css doesn't show any hits.
eliddell

Post by eliddell »

The converter is deeply appreciated. You can add the following to the list of Firefox extensions that convert successfully:

FireTitle (Tools menu item is missing, so settings have to be accessed via the Add-On Manager)
Domain Details (perfect, as far as I can tell)
Remove It Permanently (status bar icon doesn't show up and can mess up items positioned to either side, but all other features seem to work)

and the following to the list of extensions that do not work:

History Submenus (original, discontinued version for Firefox 3)
History Submenus II

Netscape 4's CSS support was almost unbearably flaky, and I doubt any significant customization of the chrome was possible. I have a full copy of an old hard drive containing a 16-bit Netscape 4 install (not functional at the moment, but I could probably rehabilitate it to run in my Win '98 VM if I were willing to put a little time into copying DLLs around), and the only profile files that match up with anything current are prefs.js and some .db files. No extensions either, just global plug-ins. We have come a long way. ;)
xyzzymage

Post by xyzzymage »

Resurrect Pages
can be added to the list of perfectly-working extensions. :D

Thank you for creating this — I really feeling the loss of Textarea Cache (which I see someone else converted around the same time I did) but hadn't been able to manually convert it with any luck, so your work is hugely appreciated. It should also make a huge difference for people thinking about switching to SeaMonkey; I have an idea in that department, but won't clutter the thread up with it.
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Btw, if the extension is still active you might want to inform the author. He/she might support the extension for SeaMonkey since it does not take much effort.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

eliddell wrote:The converter is deeply appreciated. You can add the following to the list of Firefox extensions that convert successfully:

FireTitle (Tools menu item is missing, so settings have to be accessed via the Add-On Manager)
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SeaMonkey_2

Code: Select all

Overlays: Tools menu popup
Menu id in Firefox: menu_ToolsPopup
Menu id in SeaMonkey: taskPopup

Phil
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

eliddell wrote:You can add the following to the list of Firefox extensions that convert successfully:

xyzzymage wrote:Resurrect Pages
can be added to the list of perfectly-working extensions. :D

Great, I've updated the list along with a few other extensions!

Philip Chee wrote:
eliddell wrote:The converter is deeply appreciated. You can add the following to the list of Firefox extensions that convert successfully:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/SeaMonkey_2

Code: Select all

Overlays: Tools menu popup
Menu id in Firefox: menu_ToolsPopup
Menu id in SeaMonkey: taskPopup

Phil

Oh, these replacements were supposed to be done by the converter but it turned out that they were affecting only js files and missing xul files. I've updated the converter now so try converting FireTitle again - the menu item should turn up in the tools menu!
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
therube

Post by therube »

Perhaps some sort of "Did it work: (Yes|No|Partially|No-reply)" button?
Thereby tracking (hash) Extension/version/work-yn, building a DB.

Perhaps slight extension name change; blabla-1.23-fx.xpi -> blabla-1.23-fx+sm+mod.xpi ?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

therube wrote:Perhaps some sort of "Did it work: (Yes|No|Partially|No-reply)" button?
Thereby tracking (hash) Extension/version/work-yn, building a DB.

What would also be relatively neat... after conversion, I had to download the extension. If those were stored, and coupled with therube's idea about a "Did it work" button, someone could download the already converted version. All you'd need to do is make a simple page listing the extension name, the results of the "Did it work" button/survey and the download link. I imagine now that you are expiring the downloads after some time, though?

To me, that doesn't sound like a lot of work, but I'm no coder. :D

Thanks again for a wonderful tool! 8-)
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Since one usually has to restart after installing an extension, and it is only then that one can tell if it works or not, perhaps a form would be better. If people could later fill out a form listing: (what worked | what did not work | what messed up something), that would be useful.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

These are all great ideas, however I'll have to put them off in the nearest future because I don't have too much time now and have to concentrate on other work currently. Unless somebody joins me and helps with the coding...

Changing the name after conversion in on my list already.

A system for building a list of extensions with a mechanism for reporting which work and which don't would certainly be helpful - this way a modified extension list would grow with the help of users.

I don't know how important would be storing the converted extensions for download - currently only AMO downloads are kept for 15 minutes. How much work - it depends. If you take into consideration the need to handle different versions of extensions and also different conversion settings it may not end up that simple :). Fetching extensions from remote servers doesn't take long, anyway. And to be honest, I have a little hidden agenda behind not storing extensions on the server: every time the converter downloads an extension it leaves the "Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey" user agent string in the logs of the remote servers and thus advertising its existence, and the existence of SeaMonkey. Maybe I'm too optimistic about the effectiveness of such advertising but still better than nothing :mrgreen:

The good thing is that as far as I can see more than 50% of converted extensions work, which is not a bad result, I think. :mrgreen:
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey