Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Anonymosity

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

Post by Anonymosity »

Flash Control 2.1.4 does not work in SeaMonkey after conversion.
Autoplay Toggle 0.0.3 also does not work. I do not understand why that is true, since the index javascript file in it (which makes it work) looks fairly simple.
vladmir

Post by vladmir »

extension that doesn't work after conversion:
Smart HTTPS
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... art-https/
mozray

Post by mozray »

Textarea Cache is no longer compatible with SeaMonkey. Tested with SM 2.46, haven't tested earlier versions to find out when it broke.

The addonconverter.fotokraina.com/compatibility page marks TA as compatible, so the page should be updated.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Textarea Cache works fine for me in SM 2.46, I have no idea why it doesn't work for you.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

Lemon Juice wrote:Textarea Cache works fine for me in SM 2.46, I have no idea why it doesn't work for you.
Different Windows OS maybe? (Windows 7 vs. Windows 10)
Best regards,
Tony
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Very unlikely. OS version might be important only for extensions having binary components. A conflict with another extension is more possible, or maybe a corrupted profile.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

I'm wondering if SeaMonkey will inherit from Firefox the ability to run extensions in the new WebExtensions technology. Does anyone know something about this?

The situation with converting Firefox extensions doesn't look good for the nearest future - by the end of 2017 Firefox will stop supporting any extensions other than WebExtensions, which means most Firefox extensions in the traditional technologies will disappear from AMO. If SeaMonkey doesn't support WebExtensions then there will no longer be any extensions to convert and this converter will stop being useful apart from converting legacy extensions found on other sites.

I can see the trend has already started - many extensions on AMO are switching to WebExtensions and can no longer be used in SeaMonkey nor converted.
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

WebExtensions support would be nice, but from what I understand there aren't enough developers to make it happen.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

I think that what concerns add-ons, the first priority for SeaMonkey developers is to avoid losing ChatZilla, Lightning and the Modern theme, which are all included (at least on en-US trunk) in SeaMonkey installations but from a Firefox point of view are all "third-party legacy add-ons".
Getting WebExtensions would be nice, and it may be relatively easy depending on what needs to be added to what we already get for free from Gecko and Toolkit. SeaMonkey already supports Webtools, and I don't know how much extra code we need to support WebExtensions too. SeaMonkey developers are indeed very few, and much of their time is taken up by repairing the breakages which Firefox developers seem to be so happy to make happen (I'm saying "seem", let's hope I'm under a false impression).
Best regards,
Tony
frg

Post by frg »

Well you can find the tracking bug here:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1320556

As tonymec stated not many devs around to do it or we would already have it. Problem is also that it is still a moving target. Doing only webextensions seems to be a good way to commit software suicide for Firefox but it is all politics and the topic has been beaten to death already. Some parts are in browser and interact with the backend parts in Gecko. Very bad design and you can see almost daily changes here in both.

I am in wait and see mode how big the backlash will be after FF 57 or if the timetable will be adjusted. If not I will look at the bug if no ones else does it. Still too new and not much qualified but better than none :) The bigger problem will be e10s. I am quite sure it will be mandatory in the near future. This will affect both TB and SeaMonkey. The Rust junk (yes I am biased here) won't help either.

FRG
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Thanks for the info. So unfortunately, Firefox decision to use only WebExtensions may not only be their suicide (at least partial) but also be a problem for SeaMonkey because the number of available extensions for SeaMonkey will considerably decrease now. Hardly anyone will want to write extensions only for SeaMonkey. Ideally, SM should start supporting WebExtensions now that the migration of many extensions has already started. But it's understandable that when there are few developers then there is not much we can hope for.

It's a pity no larger organization is interested in supporting SM. But it looks like a general trend now to simplify software, remove features, adapt to mobile and cut down on customization. I've never thought I would live in times when a regression in software development overtakes progress and the regression process becomes actually regarded as progress :roll:
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Lemon Juice wrote:... but also be a problem for SeaMonkey because the number of available extensions for SeaMonkey will considerably decrease now. Hardly anyone will want to write extensions only for SeaMonkey.
Unless they are using it themselves. So how about SM concentrating on what it can do, instead of what it can't do all the time?

Attract extension writers to use SM by putting on a better default theme for a start and not something out of the 1870's. Add really radical features like close buttons on tabs, like every browser apart from Dillo has done for the last 10 years and so on...

....and drop the 'constant uncertainty' as it doesn't inspire confidence. Just learn to BS like some of the one man band builds do. 2 years back, it was all 'We are a true fork and don't need Mozilla', yet the same outfit quietly came back and grabbed a more recent version of Gecko only 5 months back, as things weren't working out.

Now, they're doing 'We will be the only true XUL browser after Firefox 57 hits'. If they couldn't even update the old Gecko, how's that going to work out when there's no newer Gecko to grab? See? it's total BS, but at least it doesn't frighten the children and horses.
Lemon Juice wrote:It's a pity no larger organization is interested in supporting SM.
True, but certain encryption software organisations may well be interested in supporting a particular E Mail client and SM can coat-tail onto that. ;)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

The default theme is supposed to be the same (or almost) as Firefox's default theme, but the Modern theme is right there for anyone not liking Default, and (at the moment) there are still a number of other complete and lightweight themes available for anyone who likes neither. (It's even possible to use both a complete theme and a lightweight one at the same time, as I do, but it takes some jumping through hoops.) "Out of the 1870s" is of course a gross exaggeration; but all matters of look and feel are questions of personal preference. "De gustibus et coloribus", the Romans used to say, "non est disputandum". For instance, I have many tabs, which I place on several rows by means of userChrome.css, and a close-button on every single one of them would IMHO be an extreme overuse of real estate better left available for content; a single "new tab" button at left and a single "close tab" button symmetrically placed at right are much more to my liking, and if my number of tabs still increases I might add "display:none" rules in my userChrome.css for both of them: Ctrl+T and Ctrl+W do the same job without monopolizing any screen real estate at all; and to close a tab other than the current one there is a "Close tab" menuitem in every tab's context menu.
Best regards,
Tony
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

tonymec wrote:The default theme is suppos
No, Tony, won't work. You will not shut me up with the 'solid wall of text without paragraphs' routine. People know that default theme is a jumble of mismatched toolbar buttons and is damn ugly and no amount of 'it's subjective and a matter of personal preference' is going to change that.

It is a myth that there are no rules for design and appearance. There are and they are just as strict as the rules for functionality, Thanks for pointing out to me 'there are still a number of other complete and lightweight themes available for anyone who likes neither' but I did actually know that.

Even just a few years back, SM was wandering about going nowhere. People were waiting 3 months or so for Phil to convert some Firefox extension and that was it. Then along comes Lemon Juice - look how the position has changed - 100's of extensions available and many of them actually written to be SM compatible in the first place.

Along comes Patrick D and transforms SM into something people can actually use, with the Sea Fox extension. If people don't like being told by Firefox where they can put their buttons, then they are not going to be thrilled by the same buttons not even being present in SM! No one wants damn Hotkeys for everything in 2017.

If Pat hadn't made that extension then I wouldn't be using SM as my default browser, it's as simple as that. Because I do, things like this happen - https://addons.mozilla.org/EN-US/seamon ... te-themes/

...and no, I don't want lectures on 'saving valuable screen real estate' when the toolbars on the default theme are almost twice the height that they should be in the first place!

...and this is my point, people just don't buy this 'it's like a slow maturing wine that you slowly begin to appreciate' stuff, they want stuff that looks OK and works OK in the first 30 minutes when they check out a browser. Attract people to your browser and you will also attract extension developers and theme writers as well ...mainly because they are also just people. In addition, more users means more search revenue, which in turn means more choices and options over the future.

OK, so the SM Council doesn't quite know what might happen in the future, I get that. But that doesn't stop them being pro-active in the present and offering up something that regular, normal users will actually be attracted to using, does it?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

This was in the works for some time and you might want to post further comments here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3029957