Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Frank Lion

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

Post by Frank Lion »

unbeleevabull wrote: FWIW, I kind of feel like it's not my responsibility to verify if AMO is right, though. SeaMonkey is an official Mozilla build, so they should do the converting so the users don't need to (even though the actual converting is the easy part).

You might want to readjust the way you are looking at Open Source projects, as it is not the usual producer/consumer business model.

Certainly if you don't like responsibility then steer clear of Open Source stuff. We see a problem and we fix it.

As I wrote, different to the usual 'pass the parcel' of blame seen in the usual business world.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

Frank Lion wrote:
unbeleevabull wrote: FWIW, I kind of feel like it's not my responsibility to verify if AMO is right, though. SeaMonkey is an official Mozilla build, so they should do the converting so the users don't need to (even though the actual converting is the easy part).

You might want to readjust the way you are looking at Open Source projects, as it is not the usual producer/consumer business model.

Yup. As soon as you took it upon yourself to be more than a casual observer you started assuming some responsibility. SeaMonkey is *not* an official Mozilla product, but is built by the community. Mozilla is kind enough to offer support for SeaMonkey developers and share AMO with SeaMonkey, which they really don't have do to. Lemon Juice is contributing time and energy into conversion software, and he really doesn't have to do that because it's not officially his responsibility either. That's one of the things that makes Open Source so interesting... none of us HAVE to be here doing this.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
LoudNoise

Post by LoudNoise »

Actually, the interesting thing about open source is that if someone sees something that they want changed or a function they think is needed they can do it. Frank, Patrick and Lemon see something missing and make something to fix it. It doesn't matter if no one else agrees.
Post wrangler
"Choose between the Food Select Feature or other Functions. If no food or function is chosen, Toast is the default."
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

This converter page has been a lifesaver. The add on I really needed was the toolbar buttons. Till this, I only could use it in Firefox. Now it works in Seamonkey. Firefox is on the way out with me and I'm using Seamonkey most of the time now. This makes the switch back pretty much a done deal now. In my mind, Seamonkey really never has to add any new features. Just maintain the service updates and I'm good.
Pauliemon

Post by Pauliemon »

Also, the (Map This) add on works in Seamonkey after conversion. Now I'm set....
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

The Firefox to SeaMonkey converter has been a lifesaver as I use SeaMonkey in nonprofits from a usb stick and I need everything that SM brings to the table: browser, email, html editor and calendar. Brilliant addition to "Allizom" aka the original Gecko browser.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Scarlettrunner20

Post by Scarlettrunner20 »

Only a few of my extensions work now with the latest SeaMonkey. Yet SeaMonkey did not tell me the extensions would not work when I upgraded. Was this because most of the extensions were installed using SeaMonkey converter?

Do I need to use SeaMonkey converter again on these extensions? I would never have upgraded had I realized that few extensions would work including Ghostery (which is not one I used the converter on but is the most important extension I have).

Bookmarks on the menu tab doesn't show me anything now. I think it is because Multicolumn bookmarks was installed via the converter and it is not working with this latest version of SeaMonkey.
therube

Post by therube »

Ghostery is known not to work.
SeaMonkey never "really" knows whether something will work or not.
Running the converter again will make no difference, unless changes were made in the converter end.
Most likely you're just running into incompatibilities between particular extensions & "Firefox 32.0.9.9" (err, SeaMonkey).
Last edited by therube on September 22nd, 2014, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Scarlettrunner20 wrote:Only a few of my extensions work now with the latest SeaMonkey. Yet SeaMonkey did not tell me the extensions would not work when I upgraded. ...

... I would never have upgraded had I realized that few extensions would work including Ghostery (which is not one I used the converter on but is the most important extension I have).

... and it is not working with this latest version of SeaMonkey.

Well, uninstall SeaMonkey and reinstall the previous version of it then. The world will not keep spinning if you do.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

The converter has made SeaMonkey my preferred browser. Now I am looking at many different extensions that I could not use before. Very Nice.

On the same note, has anybody seen what happened to Signature Switch, which used to work with ThunderBird? Any ideas if it can be used with SeaMonkey?

Thanks.
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Someone complained that Multicolumn Bookmarks stopped working in Fx 31 so then it is likely the same problem happens in the corresponding SM release. What's weird is that the author removed this extension from AMO - probably he was aware it became broken in newer Fx and didn't have time to update it?

Extensions can always break in newer versions of SM - this sometimes happens whether it is a converted extension or not. If problems occur it's always good to try converting a newer version of the extension - if it exists.

ndebord wrote:On the same note, has anybody seen what happened to Signature Switch, which used to work with ThunderBird? Any ideas if it can be used with SeaMonkey?

Signature Switch is listed on the first page of this thread as working with SM after converting - did you try it?
Last edited by Lemon Juice on September 22nd, 2014, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Andy Boze

Post by Andy Boze »

Lemon Juice wrote:
ndebord wrote:On the same note, has anybody seen what happened to Signature Switch, which used to work with ThunderBird? Any ideas if it can be used with SeaMonkey?

Signature Switch is listed on the first page of this thread as working with SM after converting - did you try it?

It does indeed work with SM after converting. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the hotkeys, but I haven't seen any other problems.
But then again, I may be wrong.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Lemon Juice wrote:Someone complained that Multicolumn Bookmarks stopped working in Fx 31 so then it is likely the same problem happens in the corresponding SM release. What's weird is that the author removed this extension from AMO - probably he was aware it became broken in newer Fx and didn't have time to update it?

Extensions can always break in newer versions of SM - it sometimes happens whether it is a converted extension or not. If problems occur it's always good to try converting a newer version of the extension - if it exists.

thanks, that did it. Works just fine. A very nice addon that I have used with TB for a long time.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Andy Boze wrote:
Lemon Juice wrote:

It does indeed work with SM after converting. The only thing that doesn't seem to work is the hotkeys, but I haven't seen any other problems.

Andy,

Thanks, works fine and I easily live with hotkeys... just need multiple signature for my noprofits.

<g>
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... pagesaver/

Pearl Crescent Page Saver works after conversion, apart from a parsing error in prefs.xul which prevents this extension's options being accessed.

However, it still takes pics OK, both in 'Visible Portion' and 'Entire Page' modes, but only in .png (default) format. Not a problem for me, as I always use png for everything anyway - but without Options you will not get the usual .jpg alternative choice.