Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Lemon Juice

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

Post by Lemon Juice »

Michael Buckley wrote:Ok, so I moved all the set up code inside the module and did the toolbox selection another way. Should work just by replacing the import.

Thanks a lot, I will be testing it in a few days - currently, I've been doing a few updates regarding the converter.

Here is the new stuff:

1. I've published the converter's source code on GitHub.

2. The converter now accepts an URL of an extension to convert and if provided, the URL will be pre-filled on the converter page and there will be a button for direct installs. This is to make it easier for people to convert and install extensions which are known to work, directly from links on a web site. To see how it works go to the first post of this thread where I added an install link to all extensions so it is no longer necessary to copy&paste links of extension pages or XPI's in order to convert them.

The format is like this:

http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/?url=[URL]

where [URL] is an add-on's URL.

In the same way a maxVersion can be set in the URL and some options (checkboxes) can be disabled, for example:

http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/?url=[URL]&checkboxName=off

where checkboxName is the HTML name of a checkbox in options. I won't go into detail with this since it's not going to be used often.

So now you can construct direct installation links for extensions if you wish to publish them on some sites, wikis, etc.

3. A small convenience improvement: the converter will now accept links to AMO extensions which do not offer download links on their front pages (due to asking for contribution), for example: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/reloadevery/ - now this will be accepted by the converter.
*** SeaMonkey — weird name, sane interface, modern bowels ***
Mouse Gestures for SeaMonkey/Firefox
Convert Fx and TB extensions to SeaMonkey
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Michael Buckley wrote:The tracker for adding CustomizableUI.jsm to SeaMonkey itself is https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1011857 I don't know if they actually would. The Pale Moon guys suggested they would rather have it broken completely, then broken partly, since it is almost impossible to get this working perfectly in anything other then Firefox.

What I really trying to work out is: is this the kind of approach people are interested in taking. Making something that mimics the CustomizableUI.jsm file, without actually implementing Australis. Would this be used if I finished it?
We (SeaMonkey team) would love to have that integrated into our code! (Would have to be MPLv2 licensed though)

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Lemon Juice wrote:
Philip Chee wrote:Actually it's smart enough to update gContextMenuContentData directly if it knows it's running in Chrome (i.e. e10s is turned off). Since SeaMonkey is not multiprocess we can short circuit most of this.

Thanks for looking into this. This may be correct that Fx devs recently are introducing changes regarding e10s - I remember testing QrCoder a few SM versions back and it used to work fine after proper sdk patches and now it's throwing errors.

Do you have a bug for adding this global to SM?

Not yet. Can someone please file one? Currently am trying to juggle too many eggs at once and have too many bugs I want to work on but just don't have the time. And if you do file a bug, could you include the analysis I did upthread? or add a link to that message? Thanks.

Phil
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Michael Buckley wrote:Unfortunately right now it is not that simple to import, since there are a number of hoops you need to jump though. Though that is kind of the goal to reach.
The sticking point is that I was trying to get it working in Thunderbird/SeaMonkey Mail. CustomizableUI assumes there is only one toolbox per window, Thunderbird can have 2 (or if lightening is installed 3) per window. So right now once imported you have to register it to a toolbox, which is really messy.
I will clean it up, since you are interested, and let you know once I have it working a little smother.
Yes this multiple toolbox stuff was a P.I.T.A. since Lightning does that to the SeaMonkey MailNews window. See the following bugs for some example code:

Bug 721330 - Make Customizing Lightning Toolbars work in SeaMonkey.
Bug 731264 - Support with multiple toolboxes in MailNews due to Lighting Calendar and Task Tabs.
Bug 753683 - Simplify SeaMonkey handling of Lightnings customizable toolbars, Lightning part.
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

A small update to the converter - I don't know why Secure Login was listed under not working extensions because it appears to work fine in current SM. The only problem was that creating login bookmarks didn't work. I've made a proper change to the converter so that all functions should work fine now.

Secure Login is a nice feature known from Opera Presto and more. And the interesting thing is that even the status bar icon works in SM, even though Firefox does not have a status bar and even when it had it was a bit different :)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Michael Buckley wrote:Ok, so I moved all the set up code inside the module and did the toolbox selection another way. Should work just by replacing the import. I also added all the functions, but most just throw an error for now. I will implement them gradually, let me know if there are any that you find are commonly used.
If you find bugs, let me know, maybe best if you do so on github, easier for me to track ;)

https://github.com/codefisher/mozbutton ... izable.jsm

I wanted to use it and try it out but I haven't yet found an extension that would specifically require CustomizableUI interface (and nothing else) to work in SM. However, what I found that most of the problematic extensions require the sdk/ui/button/action module and they apparently use ActionButton to create buttons. Examples:
  • https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/easy-xdebug-with-moveable-/
  • https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/youtube-unblocker/
  • https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lightbeam/
Unsupported Application: The module sdk/ui/button/action currently supports only Firefox.

I've also found some that require sdk/widget - I'm not sure if widget is also used for buttons?
  • https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/qr-code-image-generator/
  • https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/self-destructing-cookies/

I'm not really knowledgeable about dependencies between CustomizableUI and ActionButton but I suspect that ActionButton requires CustomizableUI to function? If that is the case then your module only does one part of what is needed but we still would need a shim for ActionButton and probably for widget (but let's leave widget for now since it appears to be less frequently required). I would use your current module in the converter but I'd have to find at least one extension that would benefit from it to test it out.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Lemon Juice wrote:3. A small convenience improvement: the converter will now accept links to AMO extensions which do not offer download links on their front pages (due to asking for contribution), for example: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/reloadevery/ - now this will be accepted by the converter.

If the addons site is not making it very easy to find something, how does one find out about it in the first place, except by word of mouth? What I find strange is that if I type "reloadevery" into the search box and then press the green button, I get nothing. If I look at the dropdown that comes out and click that, I get the page. Are they deciding that if I use the "wrong" browser, I should get nothing from the search?
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Anonymosity wrote:Are they deciding that if I use the "wrong" browser, I should get nothing from the search?

Yes, if you are in the SeaMonkey section you get results only for SeaMonkey. So if looking for new extensions to convert you should switch to the Firefox section and then search. The search drop down seems to search among all add-ons - it is inconsistent but that's how it is. The AMO search is a bit weird but works well enough if you are aware of its weird behaviours. And word of mouth is not a bad source of information :!: :D If not then google can also help!
Rollo_Tommasi

Post by Rollo_Tommasi »

I just started to use live bookmarks (never used before, so it's possible that I'm missing something):
LiveClick 1.0.1 (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... liveclick/)
works (almost) fine after the conversion.
The only problem I have noticed is that you can not open the extension's preferences from the drop-down menu on the toolbar button, while other functions are available.

:)
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Rollo_Tommasi wrote:The only problem I have noticed is that you can not open the extension's preferences from the drop-down menu on the toolbar button, while other functions are available.

There was also another problem: clicking "Create Folder" button in options -> Monitors -> Tag didn't work and resulted in a freeze of the UI. These problems were possible to resolve so now the converter is updated and both these functions work :mrgreen:
Rollo_Tommasi

Post by Rollo_Tommasi »

Lemon Juice wrote:There was also another problem: clicking "Create Folder" button in options -> Monitors -> Tag didn't work and resulted in a freeze of the UI.

You are right! :shock:

And yes, now it's working!
Thank You very much...

=D>
Laurence

Post by Laurence »

When I ran what had been a very useful addon called "Dog Ears" ( link for the last update ever released, v. 1.10, found on this page: http://yellow5.us/firefox/dogears/ ) it did not function as expected (or hoped).

In its present state it will mark the page where I place the cursor and remember the so-called 'dog ears' upon exiting and restarting the browser, and reopening the said page which had the dog ears marked on it, but it was not able to 'Move To Next' (or any of the) dog ear(s) via the context menu, sidebar, or status bar.

I assume that Dog Ears would require to be updated manually for it to once again work as well as it once did. :-(

It had been an excellent addon when reading long web pages / documents, and needing to mark (dog ear) the page so as to quickly return to it at a later time. Does anyone with the ability have an interest in returning it to life?

regards,
Laurence
Lemon Juice

Post by Lemon Juice »

Laurence wrote:I assume that Dog Ears would require to be updated manually for it to once again work as well as it once did.

Unfortunately, yes. It's a very old extension and doesn't even work in Firefox so the converter cannot help in this case.

Another small update today, I managed to get Noise Control to convert. There is a tiny cosmetic glitch with Modern Theme where the appearing tab icon increases tab bar height by 1 pixel. Otherwise it works fine except it does not detect Flash (it doesn't detect Flash sound in Fx anyway, so this is not such a big loss). But it works for html5 audio and reports playing html5 videos and sound.

The reason for not detecting Flash is that the extension uses PluginContent:UpdateHiddenPluginUI notification to start plug-in detection and SM seems to be missing PluginContent altogether.
Last edited by Lemon Juice on April 15th, 2015, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Is there really an extension around called Dog Ears? :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Frank Lion wrote:Is there really an extension around called Dog Ears? :)

Yep.

Dog Ears :: Add-ons for Firefox
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5