Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Frank Lion

Re: Firefox & Thunderbird Add-on Converter for SeaMonkey

Post by Frank Lion »

tonymec wrote:
Frank Lion wrote:Slightly different to multi row method, but I use this.
P.S. It says "compatible up to Firefox 42.0+". I suppose it means that it has been tested in Fx42 (corresponding to Sm 2.39) but should work in later versions, possibly including the current Nightly 51.0a1 (or, after conversion, the current SeaMonkey 2.48a1 trunk nightlies)?

Firefox and SeaMonkey tabbrowsers are not identical; let's hope the conversion will work.
It's actually compatible in the install.rdf right up to Firefox 62 or something. I got fed up having to keep re-editing the version details on the page and pages linked to it. :P

I'm using on my SM 2.40 converted and it's fine. It's also fine on Firefox 48+ with Linux and XP, but on Win7+ it seems like the mouse cursor is not seeing the scrollbar thumb, but the webpage underneath - some Aero bug? Even there the mouse wheel scrolls the tabs OK.

That extension is coming up for 10 years old now, surprised it's lasted this long. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

bjakja wrote:Is there any option to "froze" inactive tabs? For example main site of Proline.pl changes banners for every 10 seconds and it utilize CPU even it is inactive.
Anyway multirows are for me good enough.
There is "Edit → Preferences → Browser → When restoring sessions and windows → (•) Only restore tabs when I need them" which applies to startups with a saved session and to restarts (be it from Normal to Safe mode, or vice-versa, or after installing a non-restartless add-on, etc.). It does not apply to opening a multitab homepage, where all tabs are reloaded together.

For annoying banners, you can disable them by means of the Adblock Plus extension, or by using the DOM Inspector ("Tools → Web Development → DOM Inspector", in SeaMonkey; the advertised Ctrl+Shift+I hotkey is for something else) to find out how to describe that element in CSS (by ID if possible) and defining a "display: none" style rule for that element in your userContent.css stylesheet. See also the docs about the @-moz-document Mozilla-specific at-rule to limit a part of your CSS stylesheet to documents from a certain source only (a certain domain, a certain URL, etc.).

Some say that you shouldn't disable advert banners because that's how it is possible to give you free content, but too much is too much. At one time, the Belgian railway company had three different Flash adverts running together on their front page, bringing my browser to a stillstand. The only solution to be able to use that site was to remove those Flash objects.

Apart from the above, I don't know.

P.S. The following will remove the element with id="foobar", if it exists, from any page on the domain "qwertyuiop.net":

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain(qwertyuiop.net) {
  #foobar { display: none }
}
if it appears in a CSS stylesheet named userContent.css in the chrome/ subfolder of your profile. That subfolder may or may not already exist and, if it does, it may or may not contain a userContent_example.css with a number of examples, all commented-out.

Spaces, tabs and/or line breaks (outside of words, of course) are irrelevant to the syntax but may make the text more or less legible.
Best regards,
Tony
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

Windows 7
SeaMonkey/2.40

Show my Password 2.0.1-signed.1-signed (for login passwords) apparently has more changes than merely being signed for addons.mozilla.org. It really does not require conversion for SeaMonkey compatibility. However, the maxVersion item for SeaMonkey needs to be changed in file install.rdf from 2.0.* to 2.* to install in the current version of SeaMonkey. Yes, I have tested this after making that change.
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

DERoss wrote:Windows 7
SeaMonkey/2.40

Show my Password 2.0.1-signed.1-signed (for login passwords) apparently has more changes than merely being signed for addons.mozilla.org. It really does not require conversion for SeaMonkey compatibility. However, the maxVersion item for SeaMonkey needs to be changed in file install.rdf from 2.0.* to 2.* to install in the current version of SeaMonkey. Yes, I have tested this after making that change.
I don't think AMO would accept a SeaMonkey maxVersion of 2.*, but 2.0.* is really too low these days. With the current add-on manager, the currently supported versions of SeaMonkey (let's say 2.40 to 2.48) should accept extensions with any maxVersion greater than, or maybe even greater than or equal to, 2.1.* (but not 2.0.* which was before the change), unless the extension requires strict version checking in its install.rdf (as, for instance, Lightning does, because Lightning includes binary components and can only work with the exact same version of the backends).
Best regards,
Tony
frg

Post by frg »

>> I don't think AMO would accept a SeaMonkey maxVersion of 2.*, but 2.0.* is really too low these days.

There is a bug open to just support this:

https://github.com/mozilla/addons/issues/74

I think from the comments its closed now. Seamonkey locally accepts 2.* in an xpi.

FRG
patrickjdempsey

Post by patrickjdempsey »

AMO will never accept a version of 2.* because that is essentially the same as completely disabling the compatibility check. It would be like accepting a version of *.* in Firefox. Which is NOT a good idea. Despite the fact that SM appears on the surface to be an unchanging time capsule, it actually has many guts shared with Firefox that change at a very rapid pace. It's also very very possible for extensions to *appear* compatible and be silently failing in the background... especially if you actually tried to install an extension from SM 2.0 or 2.1 era in a modern version.
Tip of the day: If it has "toolbar" in the name, it's crap.
What my avatar is about: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamonkey/addon/sea-fox/
tonymec

Post by tonymec »

patrickjdempsey wrote:AMO will never accept a version of 2.* because that is essentially the same as completely disabling the compatibility check. It would be like accepting a version of *.* in Firefox. Which is NOT a good idea. Despite the fact that SM appears on the surface to be an unchanging time capsule, it actually has many guts shared with Firefox that change at a very rapid pace. It's also very very possible for extensions to *appear* compatible and be silently failing in the background... especially if you actually tried to install an extension from SM 2.0 or 2.1 era in a modern version.
Indeed. At the pace at which it is going, SeaMonkey 3.0 may never happen, letting SeaMonkey 2.* grow to ever higher minor versions.

SeaMonkey 2.48a1 is the current "bleeding-edge" trunk version, and it is only a few days old, it will inevitably change before it is promoted to aurora status in a month ot two. Some add-on authors will intentionally not develop for it because it is too much of a moving target, others will set maxVersion=2.48a1 so that nightly testers won't feel too much left out, but even that is already a daring move: none of us knows what is in store for the 2.48 release. AMO will even, IIUC, accept 2.48.* which is even more daring but finally not too much: most of the changes will happen before 2.48a2 aurora is published, the translations which won't appear already at the Trunk stage will be published for Aurora, before any 2.48 beta is built (assuming that the bugs preventing l10n builds can somehow be fixed by then) and the rest will be mostly security & stability fixes, plus maybe a few no-risk no-strings fixes before the final 2.48 release. Since we can't even imagine what backend changes will happen between 2.48a1 and 2.49a1 it would be irresponsible to release extensions to the public with their maxVersion set at anything higher than 2.48.*: doing it would be shooting ourselves in the foot by inviting a shower of bug reports from disgruntled add-on users when (not if) some backend that our add-on uses will be removed by the Firefox "Core" and "Toolkit" developers (Yes, these parts of the software are shared with SeaMonkey and even Thunderbird, but their developers, those of them who aren't volunteers, are paid out of the Firefox purse, and it is part of the official Mozilla Corporation guidelines that no MoCo employee is authorized to help SeaMonkey by so much as lifting a little finger on company time.)

Who knows? the complete removal of complete themes, non-Jetpack extensions and NPAPI plugins are three things which get mentioned now and again, like the Loch Ness monster, in MoCo developers' talk. I hope that none of them will happen any time soon, but if and when the first two do, the add-on developers will of course be left in deep water without a boat, or, to use a more contemporary metaphor, in deep space without a suit.
Best regards,
Tony
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

BetterPrivacy 1.74 works with SeaMonkey 2.45 after being run through the converter.
DERoss

Post by DERoss »

The Certificate Manager 1.0.7 extension does NOT work with SeaMonkey 2.40 even after conversion.
therube

Post by therube »

Zoomr (which works), becomes -> Smart Zoom, which kind of works.

Zoomr, 7 KB, compressed.
Smart Zoom, 949 KB, uncompressed (on AMO), 287 KB compressed (after converting).

"Options" (about:smartzoom) does not work.
Page opens, but nothing displays.

Hold time before zooming.
Zoomr was a set, fixed time.
I long ago hacked the .xpi, modifying it to 900ms - which works for me.
SZ has a UI (about:smartzoom) to make that change - if you can see it ;-).
Not sure offhand where it stores its Prefs to make the change "manually"?

SZ "animates" as it zooms.
I don't care for that. Rather it would just do its thing & be done.
While zoomed in, if you move your cursor to the edges, it will scroll for you.
Ah, so that is what was happening.
I thought something in there was affecting general.autoScroll, but even setting general.autoScroll to 'false', things were still scrolling.
I definitely don't care for that.
I do NOT care for that.
Not sure if there's an option to disable that or not?

(I going to say this wrong, but...)
Zoomr works on "frame" areas, where SZ can also work on "elements".
Such that hightlighting (& holding) on "Zoom" in Zoomr, fits that "frame" to screen width.
Highlighting (& holding) on "Zoom" in SZ, fits the text element "Smart Zoom" to screen width.

Anyhow, for my needs, Zoomr, which I've been using for some time now, suffices.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RrBd

Post by RrBd »

Add-ONS Compatibility list

Hi all, I need feedback due to https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... escription to keep the compatibility list http://addonconverter.fotokraina.com/compatibility/ up to date.

CU

Rainer
therube

Post by therube »

I did not get Video DownloadHelper 6.0 to work in SeaMonkey.

Installs.
Got limited access through Addons Manager.
But no "taskbar icon" (nor in Customize...), nor could I open the extensions options.
So, not working in SeaMonkey.

(Then tried it in FF & it was even having trouble seeing various [not all] Youtube videos.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

therube wrote:I did not get Video DownloadHelper 6.0 to work in SeaMonkey.
That has not worked for quite some time. Video Downloader professional works after conversion.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Cookie Monster extension is not converted in 100% for newer version 1.3.0.5. When I try to open windows with specific cookies for particular site ("View cookies for...") then I can see such info:

Code: Select all

XML Parsing Error: undefined entity
Line Number 102, Column 7:      <button id="removeSelectedCookies" disabled="true" icon="clear"
------^
Other function seems to work correct.
--
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I fixed Cookie Monster by editing content/siteCookies.xul and moving comment markers down from "<deck" to "</deck>" to comment out both "removeSelectedCookies" and "removeAllCookies" for button id.
No need for comment markers from "<deck" to "</deck>". Set "remove cookie" disabled to false.

I also fixed the cookie permission viewer in content/overlay.js by changing the pathname for permissions.xul to "chrome://communicator/content/permissions/cookieViewer.xul".