Setting up an email account in SeaMonkey

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
amrad

Re: Setting up an email account in SeaMonkey

Post by amrad »

Hello Ed,

The more I look at this, the more I think the the "Outlook" account you are using, may be a web based mail service rather than a program (application) on your computer. Would I be right in thinking that? In other words, to view email sent to your "Outlook" account, do you have to visit a website?

I have sent you a PM about a possible way to find your "Outlook" incoming mail server name but that, I think, would only work if the "Outlook" emails are received on your computer, as well as or instead of a website.

Regards,

Dave.
elake

Post by elake »

TPR75 wrote:
I'll repeat it again:
"Just enable POP function within your Outlook.com account like I've suggested in this post:
viewtopic.php?p=13901837#p13901837

You skipped this so you can't receive messages in SeaMonkey...

Okay. Maybe I had too many things on my mind last time. This time, I went to that link and it showed me a different version of the outlook email interface screen. I clicked on the tool icon, I set the pop switch to enable, and I saved the settings.

Then I clicked on "window" and "Mail & Newsgroups." I accessed the settings for outlook.com and set them per your instructions.

Then I tried to access emails from outlook.com. I got a message telling me that I was using the wrong password.

So, I've made some progress, but I don't know what password they're looking for. It's not the password I use to get to the windows email interface screen. It's not the password I use to send emails via Road Runner. It's not the password I use for some other things.

I'm at a loss. I have no idea what password it's looking for. Maybe it's something the people at the store used when they were trying to figure things out.

I haven't deleted any emails since day 1, which was October 1, when I bought my laptop. There's an email from October 1 with the subject "getting started with your email account," but it's just about setting up OTHER email accounts in the outlook email program.
Last edited by elake on December 2nd, 2014, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

elake wrote:Then I tried to access emails from outlook.com. I got a message telling me that I was using the wrong password.

The same password you were using to log in to your Outlook.com web-mail account (to enable POP functionality). The very same password. Just wait some minutes and try again. I remember that I wasn't able to download messages from Outlook.com immediately after "enabling POP".

Make sure that connection security ("SSL/TLS") and authentication method ("SSL certificate") is set correct. User name is you whole e-mail address (e.g. username@outlook.com").

BTW If/When you click e-mail address (like in above example; it must be "clickable") then your default e-mail client/program should be opened with new message compose window.
--
elake

Post by elake »

BINGO!!!

The error was that I had the user name box set as just my user name, not my entire email address.

I made the change and PRESTO, there were 12 emails to download from my account. And they downloaded okay!

Problem solved! I can't believe it!

Thanks VERY much TPR75!
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

elake wrote:Problem solved!

You're welcome 8-)
--
elake

Post by elake »

How do I stop getting this window every time I try to send out an email?:

And which option should I be using?
amrad

Post by amrad »

Hello ED,

I always send in plain text only and I don't recall ever seeing that window before!

Regards,

Dave.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

elake wrote:How do I stop getting this window every time I try to send out an email?:

And which option should I be using?

Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Send Format -> first option is responsible for this windows

Which one to choose? I don't know what are your preferences or maybe rather possibilities of your recipients.

If you like colored text with different font size then choose HTML (3rd option in Preferences). If some of your recipients prefers HTML on others plain text then 4th option but sometime it could be visible as "double" (both HTML and plaint text). Test it and check what you need.

BTW If you want to make screenshot of active window only then use combination of LeftAlt+PrintScreen buttons.
--
amrad

Post by amrad »

It may depend on what you have set as the recipients formatting preference. If you right-click on an email address in your address book and select properties, you should see something like this:

The small red-underlined box at the bottom can be set to HTML, Plain Text or Unknown.

Regards,

Dave.
elake

Post by elake »

How do I stop getting this window every time I try to send out an email?

And the answer is B: "Menu -> Edit -> Preferences -> Mail & Newsgroups -> Send Format "

http://memweb.newsguy.com/~detect/Outlook-13.jpg

The "Ask me what to do" option was set when I found it.

Thanks again TPR75.

I think about 80% of my emails contain links. Plus, I tend to write in emails the same way as I write in blogs, by highlighting and underlining things to emphasize and clarify. I can only think of one person who sends me emails in plain text because he types them with his thumb on his cell phone. And I ignore all his emails anyway, never replying to them.

Thanks everyone.