New SeaMonkey Donation Page now live!

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
Philip Chee

New SeaMonkey Donation Page now live!

Post by Philip Chee »

http://www.seamonkey-project.org/donate/ Image

Several people have been asking for a SeaMonkey specific donation webpage (as opposed to the Mozilla donation page where all the money goes to Mozilla).

Phil
Tialon

Re: New SeaMonkey Donation Page now live!

Post by Tialon »

Thank you so much!! =D>

The link appears to work just fine (at least to a point -- I'm at work currently and on Firefox. I'll wait to try the actual donation once I am at home).
johnduncan

Post by johnduncan »

Fantastic! Supporting the SeaMonkey project has never been easier!
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Philip Chee wrote:http://www.seamonkey-project.org/donate/ Image

Several people have been asking for a SeaMonkey specific donation webpage (as opposed to the Mozilla donation page where all the money goes to Mozilla).

Phil

Image Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240317 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
R.N. Folsom

Post by R.N. Folsom »

I am a resident of Monterey, California, United States. I tried to send money using a Discover card, but I discovered that the payment would be in Euros (regardless of whatever card I used). That doesn't bother me (the current difference between euros and U.S. dollars is quite small), except that some of the rest of the information I was asked for I couldn't answer. For example, I was supposed to select a county in the British Isles.

Also, I was supposed to take out a PayPal membership (if I understand the information I read). But I don't want a PayPal membership --- my life already has too many financial memberships. And I am not alone, because at least in the U.S., many websites that sell stuff apparently hire PayPal to handle credit cards.

So I hope that there will be some other way for me to make a contribution.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

From the donation web page.

Donate via Wire Transfer
You can also donate to the SeaMonkey Association via wire transfer:
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

R.N. Folsom wrote: For example, I was supposed to select a county in the British Isles.

The page defaults to the UK. You just change it to the country you live in at the dropdown at the start of the information section.

Also, I was supposed to take out a PayPal membership (if I understand the information I read)

Nope, no need to take out PayPal membership.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

All I see on the Billing Information page is
Create a PayPal Account or Log In

Changing the country to United States doesn't change that.

User is asked to Create PayPal Password: and Confirm Password: after entering their name, card information, address and phone number. Then to continue you need to click the "Agree and Continue" button agreeing to PayPal's terms and conditions.

How did you get around that?
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

WLS wrote:How did you get around that?

Seems SM is using the PayPal all or nothing version, instead of the usual either/or one - https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/websc ... 0d60b23a7c

For some obscure reason, Germans don't seem to like using PayPal, so I made sure I got the right one years ago now.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

I filed Bug 1150082 SeaMonkey Donation Page is using the PayPal all or nothing version, instead of the usual either/or one.

Phil
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Frank Lion wrote:Seems SM is using the PayPal all or nothing version, instead of the usual either/or one - https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/websc ... 0d60b23a7c

I don't know what's up with the above link, maybe they expire or something.

All I'm trying to do is to demonstrate the type that I use which gives users the choice to either pay by credit/debit card or by PayPal. If you donate by card, you don't have to sign up for PayPal (I think PayPal act as a 'middleman' for the card company or something). Anyway, it works and no one has complained yet.

*sigh* it the absence of that link working properly, just go to http://franklion.co.uk/ and hit the Donate button to see what I'm talking about. Obviously, you just look, not donate.
Philip Chee

Post by Philip Chee »

Hmm. Looked at source on both. Doesn't seem to be any substantive differences. Perhaps there is a setting in your PayPal account configuration?

Phil
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Philip Chee wrote:Hmm. Looked at source on both.

Wouldn't it be easier just to Google it? - https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/websc ... ro-outside

Donors don't need a PayPal account to make their donations

I don't recall doing anything extraordinary on mine, but it was years ago.
NanM

Post by NanM »

Frank Lion wrote:All I'm trying to do is to demonstrate the type that I use which gives users the choice to either pay by credit/debit card or by PayPal. If you donate by card, you don't have to sign up for PayPal (I think PayPal act as a 'middleman' for the card company or something).

I believe it varies not only by the forms provided by PayPal but also by whatever PayPal's signup routine is at the time and geolocation.
iow, PayPal's sayso notwithstanding, a credit card user can be directed into a signup script without asking to be, and against the understanding given the PayPal account holder.
Confusing, and designed to be so in many opinions more than mine.

You'll note also that even the non-signon form, as shown in Frank Lion's web page, does ask for more detail than simply the usual credit card number and validation data - viz the credit card owner's address detail. For the usual third-party credit card gateway, this is never collected.

I'm sympathetic with community members who don't want this kind of detail stored anywhere more than necessary.
Unfortunately, as things stand, PayPal is almost the money lingua franca of the Web now.

I've done my usual and funded a nephew to use his PayPal account to donate here.

Great outcome Phil!
jez

Post by jez »

So who does this money actually go to in practice and how does it get distributed?

Frankly I'd like to see one or two full-time developers funded from donations if possible.
== Jez ==